Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think it is fair to say "relax", ATSC. The degradation is well-documented across the fleet, and it slows after the first few months.
Don't drain the battery to zero, don't sit on 100% charge for hours and all will be well. I bought a new Raven recently, and I have left the energy indicator on "% charge", just to STOP me seeing the rated range decline which causes anxiety but no real deficit in function. Try to turn the kms display off, and just enjoy and use the car...

I think it is fair to say "relax", ATSC. The degradation is well-documented across the fleet, and it slows after the first few months.
Don't drain the battery to zero, don't sit on 100% charge for hours and all will be well. I bought a new Raven recently, and I have left the energy indicator on "% charge", just to STOP me seeing the rated range decline which causes anxiety but no real deficit in function. Try to turn the kms display off, and just enjoy and use the car...
Oh well at least we get 5% back in the next firmware update.

Also single-pedal driving mode which improves range and is more comfortable too apparently.

I don't understand this. You can do single-pedal driving with the Model 3 already. Why does it need its own "mode"?

Maybe it adds regen to the final stretch from ~8kph to 0 (which as far as I can tell has zero regen currently) and automatically triggers hold-mode when your speed hits 0? That would be useful. Even better if it also uses the front distance sensors to more intelligently slow/stop the car when approaching a red light (or whatever else).

Reactions: MonicaPlease
Well that will be much easier to do after that coming update. When I had to do a longer trip last weekend, I tried to set it to charge so it would be full 20 min before I left, I pulled down the charging speed to 14A from 32A when I put it on charge in the evening just before midnight and it showed 6hr 30 minutes until full. I was happy that it would finish charging 20 minutes before I needed to leave. Well then I went to sleep, woke up in the morning and the car was already at 100% and finished charging. I looked at my house power meter, and it turned out, it had reached 100% charge already 3 hours before and stopped drawing power. So it ended up sitting on 100% for just about 4 hours before I started driving at 6:30AM. Now the new update is supposed to give us the option to tell it what time we want to go out and be ready charged, so hopefully it will then manage the charge rate/times better to finish just before starting the drive.

I am still waiting to hear back from Tesla if the roof shades are available to try them. They are listed on the Australian accessories page, but do not appear to be in stock. I can feel the heat radiate through the roof glass when driving as the AC on auto setting is not strong enough to get the cool air all the way to the roof, however if you change AC to manual and dial up the fans, it does get pretty comfortable.

I got the shades from Tesla USA on a recent trip and they do make a noticeable difference under the sun. They spring into shape and sit securely against the glass with no clips needed. It's then a simple twist and fold flat back into the bag that you get with them. The flat bag is about 50x60cm and with both in there it is less than 2cm thick so no bother to keep in the boot.

Additionally, I have a brand new, still in the box, genuine Tesla wheel hub set for the 18" wheels that I don't want now. If anybody wants a set quickly I will sell them at the cost from Tesla USA (USD50). Just DM me!

Don't worry- just don't do it every night!
Yea for the first 2 weeks I was charging it to 90% twice a week, then started to play with the numbers a bit and now have settled charging it to 70% three times a week. So the charge appears to be consistently between 35%-70%. Unless I have a specific trip that I charge to 90% if I can make it with that or 100% if 90% will not make it. So far have only once used supercharging and did notice it was limited to 100kw on my car, so that update will be nice if they let us use the full 120kw on the V2 superchargers :)

Degradation.

After less than a month I have 0.49% degradation. In my SR+ I did do 1 long trip and had to use 100% charging. Anyone else getting degradation of the battery. Not a good sign so soon? So fast?

My battery degradation is currently sitting at "I don't know" and will stay that way since I enabled "don't worry about things you can't change" mode (ie. set display to energy % instead of distance, charge as per the user manual and don't over think it).

I don't understand this. You can do single-pedal driving with the Model 3 already. Why does it need its own "mode"?

Maybe it adds regen to the final stretch from ~8kph to 0 (which as far as I can tell has zero regen currently) and automatically triggers hold-mode when your speed hits 0? That would be useful. Even better if it also uses the front distance sensors to more intelligently slow/stop the car when approaching a red light (or whatever else).

You can't do single pedal driving with the current firmware. It will not slow down the car to full stop. So must use the brakes.

Soon it will.

Reactions: jontyh
An update on last weekend's trip from south west Sydney to Port Macquarie hill area (don't know the name of the area but up the hills from Wauchope).

We charged to 100% and used the 2 NRMA chargers on the way. Both free at present, but not for long it seems. Going up the hills the k's dropped off but on the way back regen added most of the loss back. Thankfully, as the avocado farm we visited is not on the grid. Generators won't charge your car as most aren't grounded. Despite the several tonnes of ex Telstra lead acid batteries on the solar, the small array could not cope with an 8 amp charge. He promises to upgrade :) Recharge at the supercharger for $18 buy some wine and 1 more NRMA stop and home. BTW Autopilot is potentially dangerous. If you lose the lane markings on.the left you veer left and quite suddenly at times. Why cant it track the center marking? Happens on several places on the trip. Keep alert. One good thing is that AP means you are much less tired when you get to either end. So AP worth using, just stay safe.