Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Recharge at the supercharger for $18
I’m a bit annoyed that I forgot to use a referral link when I made my order :( I even had it stored in my “Notes” on my iPhone ready for the day I pulled the trigger, then in the excitement of the moment of actually ordering, completely forgot about it!

From what I hear, there is absolutely nothing that can be done about it, Tesla won’t add it post-order.

The value of the free Supercharging is only about $100 so it’s not the end of the world, it’s just the “d’oh!” factor in forgetting after planning so long for it.

If you lose the lane markings on.the left you veer left and quite suddenly at times. Why cant it track the center marking? Happens on several places on the trip.

The car tries to keep in the centre of the lane, if it loses the left line marking it doesn’t know how wide, or how many lanes there are anymore and has to guess. This usually works well for intersections and lane splits / merges, but sometimes it guesses wrong.

Although if you are on Cruise Control, it uses regen to bring car to complete stop, although technically that is zero pedal driving, not one pedal driving, but the car already can bring itself to a complete stop using regen.

The permanent magnet motor in the model 3 can't bring the car to a complete stop. The technology doesn't allow unlike the motor in the S&X. So it's actually a combination of regenerative brakes and physical brakes that is actually used.

On model S/X they can do a complete stop with the motor only.

I'm in SAN Francisco currently, and just had a drive in a Long Range rear motor, with the new firmware that includes more power and single pedal brake: super nice.

The power and acceleration in the LR model was awesome. Too bad it is no longer available.

But guessing is fuzzy logic. Used to work well in washing machines. It needs to follow logic logic says I use right of lane marking and test again, test again for left. This is basic programming logic. Even in the 70's kids built robots that had more logic than this...

Guessing is basically how AI / machine learning work, they are just very well trained guesses, and in this case they are used to determine where the road goes based on what the camera sees. There is logic layered over the top of that, but it makes decisions based on what the AI thinks it sees. If the car is following a lane that it believes just got wider or split in two it is going to follow the programmed logic of keeping in the middle of the lane and veer to the left.

The issue isn’t the logic, it’s that the AI sometimes can’t always work out where the edges of the road are when there are missing line markings. This is something that improves with training (by Tesla adding data to their training sets, not us driving the car), and they get some of that data from the fleet over time when events like this occur and the driver intervenes.

The permanent magnet motor in the model 3 can't bring the car to a complete stop. The technology doesn't allow unlike the motor in the S&X. So it's actually a combination of regenerative brakes and physical brakes that is actually used.

On model S/X they can do a complete stop with the motor only.

Not true, by applying torque in the opposite direction the motor in the 3 can bring the car to a complete stop without using the brakes, it just can’t do it using regen alone.

Motor technology from Model 3 helps Tesla boost Model S range 10%

The raven S/X now share the 3's motor technology. Especially the AWD/ performance 3 models have both permanent magnet reluctance motors and induction.

Last edited:
I’m a bit annoyed that I forgot to use a referral link when I made my order :( I even had it stored in my “Notes” on my iPhone ready for the day I pulled the trigger, then in the excitement of the moment of actually ordering, completely forgot about it!

You're not alone. The sound of forehead-slapping has echoed around the community since orders opened.

Same here! So keen to make the order and comple configuration. So now we’ll wait to see how many friends we can refer........

Reactions: korda
If anyone's in the Cottesloe, Perth area this morning 26/10 around 9-12, a bunch of us Tesla owners are catching up at the No.2 car park next to Beaches Cafe for a coffee and meetup.

20 Teslas (incl 14 M3s) gathered in Cottesloe, WA for a meet this morning. Several test drives were given to interested buyers.
Well done, Pred, for organising this event. Probably fortnightly from now on.

Attachments

• 20191026_103605.jpg
    20191026_103605.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 64
Okay, but the Model 3 has both motor types (or at least the dual motor ones do). A full regen stop should be possible.
Model 3 has two identical motors, and they are permanent magnet types, so don't regen to zero speed. Or haven't until the new firmware (who knows how they do it?!)
Only the new (raven) Model S has a mix of motor types.
Older S have two induction motors.
EDIT: I was wrong- see correction below.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: HPSOV
Model 3 has two identical motors, and they are permanent magnet types, so don't regen to zero speed. Or haven't until the new firmware (who knows how they do it?!)
Only the new (raven) Model S has a mix of motor types.
Older S have two induction motors.

Long Range AWD Model 3. It has ...

Front 3-phase induction electric motor, Rear 3-phase internal permanent-magnet electric motor, 346 hp, 376 lb-ft (front + rear comb)

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/tes...el-3-long-range-dual-motor-first-test-review/

Tesla Model 3 - Wikipedia