Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model 3 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yep, as an old command line hand, I could not understand all this fuss about special formatting functions until I tried to format a fat32 partition bigger than 32gb. Turns out that Windows 10 format utility is deliberately nerfed so that people will use exFAT or NTFS instead. Just a shame that Tesla and other systems don't actually support either.
At the risk of appearing biased, why use a micro$oft format at all; what's wrong with EXT or HFS?

At the risk of appearing biased, why use a micro$oft format at all; what's wrong with EXT or HFS?

It doesnt really matter what format they use, the issue to me is that the car should be able to partition and format the drive itself. On the other hand, if they expect people to format it themselves on a computer, it was really stupid to use a format that Windows cant handle.

It doesnt really matter what format they use, the issue to me is that the car should be able to partition and format the drive itself. On the other hand, if they expect people to format it themselves on a computer, it was really stupid to use a format that Windows cant handle.
I agree with that. Since predominantly most computers in the world do use Windows of some form, and the car does not allow managing, exporting or even viewing the data directly, it should use a format that majority of computers would be able to handle. That being said, I would actually prefer if the car would allow formatting, deleting viewing and uploading the saved entries to either separate USB or network file share directly from car without needing to take the drive out and doing those actions on a computer. This way we would not care at all what file system it used.

FAT32 is probably the closest thing to a universally recognised disk format at this time. Linux, Windows, Mac, Android, and pretty much everything else can read it.

I do agree that a built in mechanism for cloud synching and automatic purging would be excellent. I mean our phones do it for photos and videos, and they could limit it to WiFi to reduce bandwidth on their mobile network. I am looking at the Raspberry Pi way of doing this.

Reactions: MonicaPlease
FAT32 is probably the closest thing to a universally recognised disk format at this time. Linux, Windows, Mac, Android, and pretty much everything else can read it.

Yes that is true, but it is a poor choice when (a) Windows cant format it above 32GB and (b) the car cant do the formatting itself, leaving the vast majority of Tesla owners needing to find a 3rd party utility to do the formatting. At a short term minimum, I think Tesla could release their own free authorised utility to manage the formatting and creating the TeslaCam folder on the drive.

• Helpful
Reactions: Majkey
I have the problem in my SR+ that the recording seems to be a bit flaky - I first tried a 128 GB pure Tesla USB stick, but after a few weeks that failed as the car would say that the write speed wasn't high enough. If you unplugged it and plugged it back in again it would be fine until the next sentry cam incident... (i.e. not ideal).

Next I got a 256GB SD card and an SD card reader (and write) - that worked fine for a week or so, and then I got the same problem. I thought it might have been the old SD card reader, so I got a new one, but that failed after a few hours! That new reader won't even work in my PC now for some reason, and if I check the SD card it's apparently blank (although I think I'll double check that at home to be sure).

@OzVic - What software you running on the Pi to achieve this? Like, is there something I can download to achieve this or easily or do I need to install Linux, log on and then do a bunch of stuff at the command line?

Either way is fine, but do you have a link?

Do think a lower Pi may get less heat and still do the job?
I've been using Rasperry Pi4 with Samsung T5 500GB SSD. It automatically uploads the footage to my NAS when I get home.

Haven't had any issues.

(she does get nice and warm though - good heat sink might come in handy!)

edit: When I used the T5 on it's own, never had any issues either.

You have to have a Pi Zero W or another particular one (can't remember)

I'll jog your memory ... ;)

I've been using Raspberry Pi4

What software you running on the Pi to achieve this?

I'm using this fork of teslausb:

marcone/teslausb

At a minimum it takes some configuration file editing skills. Linux skills could come in handy though.

The Pi Zero used to work but I'm not sure if it can keep up with the rear camera as well. If you have one, try it out, otherwise Pi 4 is working well for me now.

I learned a cute lesson yesterday about charging. I have my wall charger on a controlled load (T33 in QLD) which goes off roughly between 5pm and 9pm peak hours. I left the car charging from about 4:30 until the power went off and noticed it still had a couple of hours left to get to my charge limit.

The next morning, I saw it was still on the % where it stopped when the power was cut. The car had gone to sleep and it turns out that re-applying the power while plugged in does not take it out of sleep mode and start charging... oops!
Sounds like a fault, momentary power failures happen all the time and the charger should just recover.

I have the problem in my SR+ that the recording seems to be a bit flaky - I first tried a 128 GB pure Tesla USB stick, but after a few weeks that failed as the car would say that the write speed wasn't high enough. If you unplugged it and plugged it back in again it would be fine until the next sentry cam incident... (i.e. not ideal).

Next I got a 256GB SD card and an SD card reader (and write) - that worked fine for a week or so, and then I got the same problem. I thought it might have been the old SD card reader, so I got a new one, but that failed after a few hours! That new reader won't even work in my PC now for some reason, and if I check the SD card it's apparently blank (although I think I'll double check that at home to be sure).

I got this and this works perfectly with 2 partitions.
https://www.amazon.com.au/gp/product/B07PZK47BG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

EXT cannot be read by windows (afaik) and it has also caused problems with the drive not being properly writeable by the car - at least if you have a music partition and a teslacam partition which for me works flawlessly in fat32
EXT or more particularly EXT4 wouldn't be a problem for the car as it uses a modified debian linux.

EXT or more particularly EXT4 wouldn't be a problem for the car as it uses a modified debian linux.
This. I use Linux desktop anyway so it was a no-brainer for me to format with ext4. It's been flawless so far - ext4 is one of the most reliable file systems anyway. I use teslacam as a nice Sentry Cam video formatter to get all 4 cameras in one output.

• Informative
Reactions: BirdOfPrey
Think most likely the usb port itself on the tesla can only handle low current draw and is not USB 3 speeds. i.e. so a very low powered USB stick with >= 4 Mbps read/write speeds should keep things churning along. I believe Tesla wanted dashcam to work on most readily available and cost effective storage.. so a micro SD 10 / U1 (but that's where a good low power SD card reader is hard to obtain)

Plus you'd want at elast two devices, so when one fills up or you need to disconnect to view footage, you always have a replacement to plug into the car.

Also the feature set is atm bare basics to have the capability to capture footage for dashcam and sentry..over time i'm sure Tesla will make it 'feature complete' like their FSD... ;) so will have the option to play back, format, manage footage all within the car and upload to cloud based storage.

One possible option would be to have dual storage - one being built into the car..and the secondary /duplicate going to your mobile - if it so happens to charge phone via cable..make the phone the redundant usb storage - that way - can maintain redundancy of footage and view old footage directly on mobile when away from the car

Last edited:
Reactions: Dave3333
I am using a 1.5tb spinny disk no issues yet.

As for filling up - sentry now overwrites if it gets full (over 5gb drive anyhow).

EXT4 would be best but its out of easy reach for most so fat32 is much better.

remember sentry mode is a bonus feature I doubt tesla put much time effort or resources into it (comparatively), I expect rolling improvements for formatting drives, other storage options and as part of the (paid) premium service things like cloud sync and live video in the app etc.