Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model S CPO Website - Now Live

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Two S60's just dropped for sub $40k.

I am tempted to jump on the blue one with pano and tan leather for $35,7 that has 58k miles and no tech package.

No kidding! As I've said before on this thread, that's where the S60s with some good miles on them should be, if Tesla wants them sold.
So is this the new record for lowest priced CPO S60? I think, previous record was at $42,900.

No kidding! As I've said before on this thread, that's where the S60s with some good miles on them should be, if Tesla wants them sold.
So is this the new record for lowest priced CPO S60? I think, previous record was at $42,900.

Yes, the two S60's that sold today were the cheapest recorded CPO's by $6-7K. I had the gray one in my "cart" for 10 minutes while I contemplated buying it, but I figured I'd wait until I can get a P85 in the $40's, which shouldn't be too much longer.

My Tesla rep told me the trade in values are so low because they can build new ones for the same price as buying a two year old used one, so it doesn't make sense for them to give customers more for a well used car than the factory for a new one.

Yes, the two S60's that sold today were the cheapest recorded CPO's by $6-7K. I had the gray one in my "cart" for 10 minutes while I contemplated buying it, but I figured I'd wait until I can get a P85 in the $40's, which shouldn't be too much longer.

My Tesla rep told me the trade in values are so low because they can build new ones for the same price as buying a two year old used one, so it doesn't make sense for them to give customers more for a well used car than the factory for a new one.

P85s have already sold for the $50Ks so the $40Ks should happen this year.

Also agree with the sentiment that $40s is what the S60s should have been to begin with. Whenever they price it around that range they sell or otherwise they sit.

2015 is going to be really exciting for those holding out for a D as their pricing should become more realistic later this year as well. Unlike the current pricing that's just about the cost of a new car.

By next year the CPO market is likely going to double. It would make sense for Tesla to price these cars correctly from the get go and have them set there and depreciate as that's what happened to many of their P85+ cars that are now seeing $20K discounts. We have our eyes on a P85D at the moment and we are ready to buy it as soon as the pricing makes sense for a used car but at the moment it is priced too close to a new car to make any sense buying.

Sounds like i was right all along. Tesla and their money losing business practices. With those buy back guarantee i guess they are realizing it is not sustainable. Ultimately the market determines the price not tesla... Unless you are the chinese governement. LOL.

This too is what I've said all along. The market will set the prices for these cars and it will cost them if they try to artificially control the market. Those P85+ cars were priced in the $100Ks for quite a while and now they will have to discount them a lot more than they could have sold those cars for last year.

I'm generally wondering what is going on at the moment: we are seeing a flood of new CPOs coming in, with much less pricing than before. Based on ev-cpo, inventory is selling like crazy. Is Tesla waking up? Or are they trying to clean out CPO inventory because something new is coming, and they know that demand for current CPOs will drop because of e.g. a refreshed model S will be available soon? Combined with the fact that production of new S seems to be slowed down substantially, I have a feeling that something is going on ( in addition to ramping up production for X) - don't really think Tesla all of a sudden realized that they overpriced their CPOs...

Unless you are the chinese governement. LOL.

download (1).jpg

This too is what I've said all along. The market will set the prices for these cars and it will cost them if they try to artificially control the market. Those P85+ cars were priced in the $100Ks for quite a while and now they will have to discount them a lot more than they could have sold those cars for last year.

Agree on the P85+. I am seeing very little difference in price between P85s and +'s. Maybe just a few thousand. I always assumed that +'s were better that P85s, similar to how a P85 is better than an 85, but now am of the opinion that they are just different, each having their pros and cons.

For myself, even though there was a comparable + for about $2k more, I opted for the P85. Purely preference.

I'm generally wondering what is going on at the moment: we are seeing a flood of new CPOs coming in, with much less pricing than before. Based on ev-cpo, inventory is selling like crazy. Is Tesla waking up? Or are they trying to clean out CPO inventory because something new is coming, and they know that demand for current CPOs will drop because of e.g. a refreshed model S will be available soon? Combined with the fact that production of new S seems to be slowed down substantially, I have a feeling that something is going on ( in addition to ramping up production for X) - don't really think Tesla all of a sudden realized that they overpriced their CPOs...

Chevy Bolt in late 2016, announced this week. Looks like it will have a 60-70 kWh battery under $40,000 before rebates.

Tesla Model 3 announcing in March, they'll have to drop the prices on Model S CPOs once they start taking orders and name lower pricing on Model 3.

There isn't a ton of time before the Model 3 reveal to get things in order. I'd expect steady price drops between now and June.

Also consider the Model S new situation. If the Model 3 and Chevy Bolt and Nisan leaf 2 are taking the low end with 60 kWh or larger batteries who will want to buy a S70? Tesla will likely bump the base Model S up another 5 or 10 kWh this year. I'm thinking 10 on the low end and 5 on the high giving us:

2015 Model S70
2015 Model S90

2016 Model S80 (or possibly S75)
2016 Model S95

What will happen to the price of a S60 or S85 with no AP when the base model is a S80 with AP?

I would consider the seating to be the most important option of all ... the largest point of contact with your body when driving. :wink:
The next generation seats (NGS) are really great and I would not buy a CPO car without them ... or add them after your purchase.
And how much would it cost to add them? I will assume that it is possible, as you suggest.

The whole business of "no CPO should be purchased without..." seems to be coming from the "money is no object" perspective. If one has to stretch to afford a CPO, compromises are necessary. I am fortunate, perhaps, that most of the options that are so valued here at TMC are of no interest to me. But I agree with you the comfortable seats would be nice, although comfort can be a very personal and variable thing.

My main requirement is 19 inch wheels, given where I live (mountains, dirt roads). I also have a strong preference for "body color" roof versus pano and regular suspension versus "SAS", both because they strike me as less extensive to maintain and the pano roof, in particular, holds zero appeal. I also have no use for the various iterations of the Tech Package but it doesn't matter much one way or the other.

In short, I would like the Tesla version of a "stripper" but realize that almost none were ordered that way. The car that caught my eye this morning was P41050, which would be ideal if the price were lower, but given very low mileage — 6746 — I'm not surprised that it is listed at $52,100. Almost no options and even the white color would be nice. If some of the speculation about pricing upthread turns out to be true, perhaps similar cars will eventually be in the low to mid $40s.

I'll leave the fancy, loaded, cars for the rest of you! :smile:

With "200" mile range and a significantly smaller car then the S the Bolt pack is in the 50-55 range. Even the S60 has a 208 mile EPA range.

They list it as having a 7.7KW charger and a full charge taking 9 hours. That points to well north of 60 kWh.

The Bolt will have much worse aerodynamics than a Model S thus it won't have a correspondingly smaller pack.

In short, I would like the Tesla version of a "stripper" but realize that almost none were ordered that way. The car that caught my eye this morning was P41050, which would be ideal if the price were lower, but given very low mileage — 6746 — I'm not surprised that it is listed at $52,100. Almost no options and even the white color would be nice. If some of the speculation about pricing upthread turns out to be true, perhaps similar cars will eventually be in the low to mid $40s.
That one is very tempting. The only down side to that car is the location (DC) and they would probably charge you 1500$ to ship it to Denver.

I would agree with you that most of those high dollar options add very little functionality to the car.

And how much would it cost to add them? I will assume that it is possible, as you suggest.

The whole business of "no CPO should be purchased without..." seems to be coming from the "money is no object" perspective. If one has to stretch to afford a CPO, compromises are necessary. I am fortunate, perhaps, that most of the options that are so valued here at TMC are of no interest to me. But I agree with you the comfortable seats would be nice, although comfort can be a very personal and variable thing.

My main requirement is 19 inch wheels, given where I live (mountains, dirt roads). I also have a strong preference for "body color" roof versus pano and regular suspension versus "SAS", both because they strike me as less extensive to maintain and the pano roof, in particular, holds zero appeal. I also have no use for the various iterations of the Tech Package but it doesn't matter much one way or the other.

I'll leave the fancy, loaded, cars for the rest of you! :smile:

A friend of mine just picked up a new 85D. After debating options for quite a while he decided that at the end of the day the only options he really needed were nextgen seats and autopilot....no upcharge color, no pano, no air, no upgraded stereo, no bigger rims, etc. He realized that, at the end of the day, the car itself was the big draw and as a tech guy autopilot was a must....everything else was just unnecessary.

I called my local store at San Diego asking for more info on CPO cars that are hidden/not yet listed as mentioned by many on this forum. The owner advisor just plain said there is nothing like that. The only list of the cars they have access to is the CPO website.
I wonder how others have managed to get that info from them. Are there any SoCal stores that anybody has a contact at that I could reach out to.

I called my local store at San Diego asking for more info on CPO cars that are hidden/not yet listed as mentioned by many on this forum. The owner advisor just plain said there is nothing like that. The only list of the cars they have access to is the CPO website.
I wonder how others have managed to get that info from them. Are there any SoCal stores that anybody has a contact at that I could reach out to.

Call a different store. I know they aren't listing all the CPOs or Inventory cars on their site. Many people have found un-listed cars.