Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model S CPO Website - Now Live

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Folks, I've come to realize 2 other factors that could be at play here.
1. Model X is having quality issues. Many owners are getting Model S loaners for long periods. This means increased demand for the CPOs as loaners.
2. The Model X issues also suck up SC time. They are overloaded. So, fewer personnel are available to prepare the CPOs. I think, CPO sales take a back seat compared to Model X deliveries and repairs.

Possible, but I think the current CPO situation is much more strategy driven than tactically based. I.e... They need to move out all these unsold inventory cars before introducing many more lower priced used cars.

I think you are correct ... it may take a while for new CPOs.

Folks, I've come to realize 2 other factors that could be at play here.
1. Model X is having quality issues. Many owners are getting Model S loaners for long periods. This means increased demand for the CPOs as loaners.
2. The Model X issues also suck up SC time. They are overloaded. So, fewer personnel are available to prepare the CPOs. I think, CPO sales take a back seat compared to Model X deliveries and repairs.

Possible, but I think the current CPO situation is much more strategy driven than tactically based. I.e... They need to move out all these unsold inventory cars before introducing many more lower priced used cars.

After talking to someone at a Tesla showroom this afternoon (he hinted strongly that Tesla is trying to clear inventory before CPOs) and based on a Tesla email I got this morning (touting new model s design along with a mention and link to inventory cars), I am convinced this is the case. I don't think you'll see CPOs listed until the number of inventory cars gets reduced significantly. I don't think this is a good strategy on Tesla's part.

I haven't had luck with a CPO advisor I contacted to get any info of cars not listed. I've given up and will start to scour the private/used market. I feel a model s may not be in the cards for me. At least I waited in line to get my model 3 reservation in. Hopefully, it won't get delayed like the models before it did.

As a side comment, I hope the SC's being overloaded by model x repairs is not the reason for lack of CPOs. If that's the case, the infrastructure will need to greatly increase before the model 3 deliveries. But, this is another discussion as it's going a bit off topic.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
Hope your arks are ready. Flood gates are about to open. My advisor just called with 200+ in process of getting Certified to give me options. 50k Mile P85 for $54k was one example. I have a pretty specific list of colors/options I want. I'll find the unicorn eventually.
Awesome!
WOHi7RD.jpg

Hope your arks are ready. Flood gates are about to open. My advisor just called with 200+ in process of getting Certified to give me options. 50k Mile P85 for $54k was one example. I have a pretty specific list of colors/options I want. I'll find the unicorn eventually.

What is the difference between CPO, Previous Service/Demo and Used? My contact at a Tesla SC sent me an e-mail with several "pre-owned" MS' all in the fifties.

I know with a CPO I get a 4yr/50K B2B warranty but what about the other two categories?

Thanks

Used are sold as-is, with no warranty...those all have 60K+ miles. You won't see those on the website can inquire about them if you so desire. I myself await the flood and (wishful thinking) Dec/Jan pricing. It's just now only sprinkling, and who knows if and when I'll hit my price point and requirements. A bunch of us in the same boat (or ark).
What is the difference between CPO, Previous Service/Demo and Used? My contact at a Tesla SC sent me an e-mail with several "pre-owned" MS' all in the fifties.

I know with a CPO I get a 4yr/50K B2B warranty but what about the other two categories?

Thanks

Used are sold as-is, with no warranty...those all have 60K+ miles. You won't see those on the website can inquire about them if you so desire. I myself await the flood and (wishful thinking) Dec/Jan pricing. It's just now only sprinkling, and who knows if and when I'll hit my price point and requirements. A bunch of us in the same boat (or ark).

Thanks, I need a warranty so I'll stick to a CPO.

Thanks
Thanks, I need a warranty so I'll stick to a CPO.

I would elaborate more on this to make sure Tom has the right picture in his head.
CPO - restarts bumper-to-bumper warranty to 4 years/50k miles from Delivery. Continues drivetrain warranty of 8 years/unlimited miles from 1st owner's delivery
Service/Demo - new car warranty of 4 years/50k miles + drivetrain warranty of 8 years/unlmited miles do not start until you take delivery. Plus, extended service agreement can be purchased on this car.
Used - remainder of bumper-to-bumper warranty (if car is under 50k miles and 4 years) + remainder of drivetrain warranty from 1st owner's deilvery

So just because the car is used may not mean "no warranty" on the car.

From April 25, 2015:

Don't tell my wife (I'll tell her tomorrow), but I just now put down a deposit on a really loaded $68k CPO P85 that is in "New York" for a Raleigh delivery. For some reason it won't let me pick the Charlotte service center for delivery. Maybe the CPO DS(?) can figure it out.

I can't believe I missed the CPO anniversary. Happy belated birthday, CPO sub-site!

Used - remainder of bumper-to-bumper warranty (if car is under 50k miles and 4 years) + remainder of drivetrain warranty from 1st owner's deilvery

Also, if you're buying "used" from a private party (not a dealer), you might be able to get them to buy the extended warranty (ESA) before they sell the car to you. Once the car is sold, the 2nd owner can NOT buy the ESA.

Reactions: Cyclone
Tesla does sell "used" cars outside the CPO program, and my assumption is that's what TomServo was asking about. I was told just recently that those are all cars with 60K+ miles that they can't sell as CPO, so they don't have the 4 years/50K benefit that many of us will want when buying from Tesla. I was offered a 2012 P85 with 76K miles for $52K that is "Sold As-Is (non-CPO due to miles, must be sub-60k)."
Tempting, but I'm just not that brave.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
If cash flow is paramount, why not try to move as many cars as possible (whether inventory or CPO)? This is puzzling, especially for a depreciating asset.
With new S' being delivered, these non-autopilot, non-D, pre-facelift should keep sliding down the depreciation curve. Plus, I presume they are still taking trade-ins which just compounds the problem.
I would have thought bleeding these out would be better than potentially flooding the system with supply at some point (but as a potential customer of said pre-facelift S, I eagerly await the El Niño flood of CPOs :)