Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model S CPO Website - Now Live

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I see all the TD cars on ebay and they look great but I don't know if I could ever pull the trigger not living close to them and fearing I'd get a car with QC issue. Once bought a used Mazda MX6 off ebay in Philly. Made for a great roadtrip story but the worst car ever purchased. Not related to Tesla in any way, but once bitten twice shy.

Anyone have purchase experience with them they'd care to share? If I bought used non-cpo I would hope it would be from someone local to me.

I see all the TD cars on ebay and they look great but I don't know if I could ever pull the trigger not living close to them and fearing I'd get a car with QC issue. ... If I bought used non-cpo I would hope it would be from someone local to me.

No experience with them but I did buy a car 2000 miles away (Chicago) from a different dealer. Found a local specialty shop to do a pre-purchase inspection and the car checked out. Then I flew out to confirm in person and finalize the deal, arrange for transport, etc. That's pretty standard procedure for high-end cars.

Tesla being a special case I would try to do two things:
  1. Go to your local Tesla store or service center with the VIN and ask what details they can give you about that car -- specifically service history and anything that may be flagged. If the car is still under warranty you're somewhat protected, but there are things that are not covered you may reveal. In the end Tesla wants more owners and wants them to be happy.
  2. Investigate the possibility of having the nearest Tesla service center do a pre-purchase inspection on that car at Texas Direct. I don't know if Tesla does this or if TD will permit it, but when you're going to spend that much on a car you want to know everything you can. Make the deal with TD pending the PPI at Tesla. If Tesla doesn't do this now I suspect they're going to have to get into this business soon as more and more cars change hands via private transactions and they have the monopoly on servicing their cars.
Good luck.

Reactions: kwjayhawk
Could you speculate as to the reason they would offload this inventory to Texas Direct instead of selling the cars themselves? I know TD would not be doing this unless there was a decent profit in the transaction? Why add a middle man?

Last year TD they paid around $65K each for a few P85D's and sold them for $89K, even lower I think so the profit is good. Happens pretty much every quarter.

I have been following their cars for a while. Almost all have clean carfax reports and the cars seem to be in really good condition as far as you can determine by photos.

They just sold a P85D for 90k. It seemed to be in really good condition except the color.........green.

If you guys see a really good deal on a P85d or P90d let us know I am ready to buy.

IIRC, green was discontinued before the 85Ds were available (though at least one board member here got one, through special dispensation), but was still available in late 2014 when the first P85Ds were being delivered. I think it went away in Jan. 2015.
This is my understanding as well. Same with brown. Except for one TMC member, you had to bump up to a P85D to get it before they shut down that paint line.

Received an email today from the CPO adviser I've been corresponding with. Three P85's in the color I prefer (silver, pearl) with the specs I was looking for not listed yet but available. Mileage between 28K and 47K 2012 and 2013 (2012 was a Sig) and fully loaded. All available between $52K and $54K. It looks like the floodgates are about to open again.

• Informative
Reactions: JenniferQ
Received an email today from the CPO adviser I've been corresponding with. Three P85's in the color I prefer (silver, pearl) with the specs I was looking for not listed yet but available. Mileage between 28K and 47K 2012 and 2013 (2012 was a Sig) and fully loaded. All available between $52K and $54K. It looks like the floodgates are about to open again.

That's great news. I went by my local store (Dallas) on Saturday to talk about whether there was inventory coming. There was no CPO adviser available at the time, but someone was supposed to contact me in the next few days. Hopefully getting the call/email today.

I have to wonder if they were waiting for the price bump on new cars to support less discounting on the CPOs - or - the cosmetic refresh to make the CPOs a less attractive option versus new (reducing cannibalization of new sales) - or both.

I put this in another thread, but I might as well update here, too. I spoke with CPO adviser Brett Seavey yesterday. He said they were expecting a flood of cars in the next 2-3 weeks. He attributed the scarcity of CPO cars to the fact that they were assigning a lot of returns to the service loaner fleet.

Wow. Your lucky. I'm still waiting for a response from the CPO guy in Buena Park. Doubt I will get it.