Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla (Model S & X) no longer eligible for Ontario rebate?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To be honest I don't think ANY model 3 will miss out on either rebate. I dont think there's going to be a P3 of any sort. etc. I think it's just going to be a $10,000 upgrade to have ludicrous mode on your model 3 awd lr. Won't effect Ontario rebate as MSRP is not the determining factor...base price of that model is and that model will be a pit $65,000.

I'll bet you a coke on that if you'd like.

Bet a coke? You mean 99.99% gold can coke?

I still think the $75k limit applies to the base price. I copied this from the FAQ section of the EVIP site:

What is the MSRP?

For EVIP, the Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) is the value of the base trim level for each model not including options, taxes, pre-delivery inspection (PDI) and freight. This value is set once per year and the MSRP value is provided by the vehicle manufacturer.

I received the $14,000 incentive last fall. My vehicle was $168K before taxes ($190K after taxes), but the MSRP of the *base trim* was below $150K. So, rest assured that they are talking about base trim. Get whatever upgrades you want, and if all is the same as last fall, you’re safe.

Why is the $149K BMW i8 still on the “approved” list, but the Cheaper Model X & S not on the list?

I received the $14,000 incentive last fall. My vehicle was $168K before taxes ($190K after taxes), but the MSRP of the *base trim* was below $150K. So, rest assured that they are talking about base trim. Get whatever upgrades you want, and if all is the same as last fall, you’re safe.

Why is the $149K BMW i8 still on the “approved” list, but the Cheaper Model X & S not on the list?

Because, too many ppl anti Tesla. So they took off Tesla only..

Because, too many ppl anti Tesla. So they took off Tesla only..
Yep, just checked the list and Tesla is gone. What a joke. I guess when the model 3 is made available in Ontario that car will be added to the list. I have heard plenty of whining about the $14,000.00 for Tesla but I bet these same people never looked at the list of cars on the available for the incentive. Most have no business being on the list of green cars as their range is useless, they spend most of their time running as a ICE vehicle.

Wow I just scraped through then ordering my inventory 100D MX on March 6th and taking delivery this Monday.

I would imagine a slow down in MS/MX sales immediately in Ontario. Those who were on the fence to begin with are surely to walk away and consider ice alternatives :(

Eligible Electric Vehicles

Tesla buyers lose access to Ontario’s generous $14,000 electric car incentive

• Incentives will no longer be provided for PHEVs or BEVs with a Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) of $75,000 or more; and
  • Incentives will no longer be provided for PHEVs or BEVs leased for less than three years.
Note that incentives will be provided under the previous EVIP program for EVs ordered prior to March 9, 2018, provided that the EV is delivered and that the application is submitted by September 7, 2018.

Model 3 LR AWD is affected as well

Following Model S,
Model 3 will have SR, LR, SR+AWD, LR+AWD trim

P will be another trim but not released yet.

Rim size, premium package and EAP will be options

Model S 75 and 75D are considered two separate trim

Why so difficult?

LR+AWD has a high chance will not be eligible as Canadian currency isn’t strong recently, but we could see Tesla to adjust the price and add the price differences into somewhere else(delivery fee, processing fee etc)

The i8 is not on the list.

Yep, just checked the list and Tesla is gone. What a joke. I guess when the model 3 is made available in Ontario that car will be added to the list. I have heard plenty of whining about the $14,000.00 for Tesla but I bet these same people never looked at the list of cars on the available for the incentive. Most have no business being on the list of green cars as their range is useless, they spend most of their time running as a ICE vehicle.

Sorry, but there's no reason a person buying a $75,000 vehicle needs a taxpayer incentive. For people interested in reducing emissions, there are many options available now that have useful range and are affordable.

Volt
Bolt
Leaf
Pacifica PHEV
Clarity
e-Golf
Focus
And of course, the Model 3 will be eligible.

I have both a 2013 Volt and a 2018 Pacifica. The Volt, with only 61 km of rated EV range, has run 74% electric with lifetime gasoline consumption of 1.87L/100km.

Following Model S,

Why so difficult?
We already discussed this above but you're speculating on the full blown P model. So it is kind of difficult.

LR+AWD has a high chance will not be eligible as Canadian currency isn’t strong recently, but we could see Tesla to adjust the price and add the price differences into somewhere else(delivery fee, processing fee etc)
No, it has almost zero chance of not qualifying.

The only way it wouldn't qualify is if the Canadian dollar moved to 66 cents US or 1.50 if you look at it the other way. Not happening unless oil hits $15/barrel.

In one sense, I'm fine with it. If it focuses on more mainstream EVs that will get more people out of ICEs then great. The threshold is now showing $75K on the MTO website. The BMW i8 is no longer eligible. See below.

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/vehicles/electric/electric-vehicle-rebate.shtml
Perhaps they've done some additional updates to reflect that the i8 isn't eligible.

That said, some other vehicles that are being touted as hybrids and have paltry EV range shouldn't get much of an incentive - especially the likes of BMW, Mini, Volvo, Mercedes and Mistubishi where you probably couldn't do a milk run without having the engine kicking in.

I'm not surprised by Wynne's move - expect even more if she wins.

MSRP refers to the price of the base trim.

We do not yet know if LR AWD is affected because it depends if battery choice and AWD are considered trim levels or different models with their own base price. I’m sure Tesla will be making the case that they are trim levels. If they are, Model 3 is completely safe.

Last edited:
Why don’t tesla offer a tesla in Ontario that is $74999 but with software locked to valet mode, no nav, no ac, SW locked to 40kw, L1 charging only, no any feature that is not legally required in a car, and then offer the unlock package to get it all back? Limit 1 per org per person per year so another corp won’t buy these just to screw Tesla over.

MSRP refers to the price of the base trim.

We do not yet know if LR AWD is affected because it depends if battery choice and AWD are considered trim levels or different models with their own base price. I’m sure Tesla will be making the case that they are trim levels. If they are, Model 3 is completely safe.
I believe you mean options or trim levels, and that Tesla will be making the case that AWD is an option.
However as they have different configuration dates and motor set ups, I fear they are going to be trim levels.

Sorry, but there's no reason a person buying a $75,000 vehicle needs a taxpayer incentive. For people interested in reducing emissions, there are many options available now that have useful range and are affordable.

Volt
Bolt
Leaf
Pacifica PHEV
Clarity
e-Golf
Focus

I have both a 2013 Volt and a 2018 Pacifica. The Volt, with only 61 km of rated EV range, has run 74% electric with lifetime gasoline consumption of 1.87L/100km.

Agree and disagree. Incentives should not be to cherry pick based on the price of the car. It’s actual intention should be to reduce carbon emissions and provide a bonus to anyone who reduces yet another ice vehicle off the road.

And which actually costs taxpayers more out of pocket in terms of subsidizing an EV buyer?

50k bolt - 6k hst
14 rebate
Net: -8k to the govnt

130k tesla - 16.9k hst
14 rebate
Net: +2.9k to govnt

150k Tesla - 19.5k hst
14 rebate
Net: +5.5k to govnt

I’m addition, the luxury buyer is likely forgoing a luxury V8, premium ice vehicle ie. Mercedes, E/S , Porsche Cayenne/911, BMW 535/750/x5/x7, Audi A6/S7/A8, Land Rovers etc
Thereby reducing quite a bit of carbon footprint.

The mid range buyer is likely to be foregoing a similarly classed vehicle ie. Acura, bmw 3, Merc c, Honda Accord, Camry, Ford Fusion etc etc. Many of which have efficient 4 cyl engines and much lower footprint.

All I’m saying is why cherry pick and penalize those who have consciously made the commitment to bring another EV to the road and reduce Ice? As an owner of an MS and soon MX, I can say I look forward to the incentive rebate (just scrapped in) as it reduces my overall out of pocket over my 4 yr lease. I’m not what anyone would consider affluent but by grace my business can lease this vehicle and earn it’s tax write off as well as net reduction through the rebate. I think I may have been slower to consider the MX if the 14k was gone.

I agree the fact that it’s going to help a lot of mid range buyers adopt EV’s as they are more price concious and would generally made a final call based on the incentive to shift.

Following Model S,

Why so difficult?

I doubt Tesla will play with pricing just for Ontario.

Volt
Bolt
Leaf
Pacifica PHEV
Clarity
e-Golf
Focus

In one sense, I'm fine with it. If it focuses on more mainstream EVs that will get more people out of ICEs then great. The threshold is now showing $75K on the MTO website. The BMW i8 is no longer eligible. See below.

Perhaps they've done some additional updates to reflect that the i8 isn't eligible.

That said, some other vehicles that are being touted as hybrids and have paltry EV range shouldn't get much of an incentive - especially the likes of BMW, Mini, Volvo, Mercedes and Mistubishi where you probably couldn't do a milk run without having the engine kicking in.

I'm not surprised by Wynne's move - expect even more if she wins.

The i8 was definitely on there yesterday. Also it looks like the Volvo XC90 T8 is still on there. I believe it starts in the $80k+ range.

They are definitely sloppy with maintaining the list.

No, it has almost zero chance of not qualifying.

The only way it wouldn't qualify is if the Canadian dollar moved to 66 cents US or 1.50 if you look at it the other way. Not happening unless oil hits $15/barrel.

Not debating as I haven't followed pricing since I thought the evip was guaranteed safe so I would have check all boxes minus P (for performance...lol Need to specify if you've followed that other thread).

What price do you think LR-AWD would come in at with all options, then all options minus wheels, eap, and fsd?