Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software 2019.16.3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for this rational response. For people who dislike this feature, it is a minor inconvenience to turn it off at the start of a drive. Rejecting one of the safest, most technologically advanced electric vehicles over a minor inconvenience is baffling.

Well I guess you haven't experienced the absolutely terrifying experience of your car steering into danger. I'm sorry but my safety and that of other people on the road is more important than the tech, comfort, and performance of the vehicle. Sure it can be turned off but my work has me in a rush throughout the day and getting in and out of the car 10-20 times, sometimes while on the phone. It is very easy to forget to turn it off, and I shouldn't have to. Thus I don't view it as an inconvenience issues but a safety issue. I would also reject delivery or delay it until the issue is resolved.

For my part, it would be silly to even consider rejecting delivery for this temporary update glitch.
It's potentially dangerous, but indeed temporary. Also, it's just something to be aware of while driving, I don't even turn it off myself anymore.

Rejecting a car that removes 95% of all the stuff you have to be constantly alert of in every other car on the market just because it temporarily has its own small unique thing to be aware of is indeed completely out of proportion.

The performance of ELDA is obviously context specific. I don't disbelieve people are having problems with it, but I'm enjoying the new safety features in suburban Maryland. I couldn't afford Autopilot, and I'm really grateful to get a little piece of it now. I use my turn signals when I need to cross lines, and I haven't once had the vehicle steer in an unexpected manner.

I don't think there's a grounds to reject delivery. What would you tell the delivery team? "Hold onto it for me for 2 weeks until a patch is released?" Good luck getting your deposit back in that case. There's nothing wrong with the vehicle, and if there's this much complaining online Tesla will allow it to be permanently disabled in the next update.

It's potentially dangerous, but indeed temporary. Also, it's just something to be aware of while driving, I don't even turn it off myself anymore.

Rejecting a car that removes 95% of all the stuff you have to be constantly alert of in every other car on the market just because it temporarily has its own small unique thing to be aware of is indeed completely out of proportion.
I mean delaying a purchase waiting for a problem to be resolved sounds perfectly reasonable to me. I mean its not like we are talking about never purchasing a tesla, just waiting a bit until a safety issues is addressed.
The implementation of this update is a glitch per the definition:

"a minor problem that causes a temporary setback"

It is unfortunate that your absolutely terrifying experience might also cause you to short the stock?

Wow, just wow, I say I absolutely love my car and its the best car I've had by a long shot (coming from an Audi Rs3 which is considered a great car). I bring up a safety issue that to me is seriously concerning and I get accused of being a short..... Guys we aren't doing Tesla any favors by avoiding any and all criticism.

Thanks for this rational response. For people who dislike this feature, it is a minor inconvenience to turn it off at the start of a drive. Rejecting one of the safest, most technologically advanced electric vehicles over a minor inconvenience is baffling.

I'm not in the habit of spending lots of money for minor inconveniences. You baffle me a bit, too.

Look, you either get it or you don't. Don't be myopic. Different people have different priorities, and the Model 3 is taking customers from across the automotive spectrum who will be looking for different things. For me, having to repeatedly disable an option, or having a car that fights me for the wheel, or having to wonder if the car is GOING to fight me for the wheel, would ruin my driving enjoyment and thus be a dealbreaker. For other people this makes them feel unsafe and is thus a dealbreaker.

For you and many others, the experience of the car or the technology or the mission or whatever are paramount and this stuff isn't even on your radar, pun intended. Fine. But that's you. Don't call everyone else irrational.

I'm not in the habit of spending lots of money for minor inconveniences. You baffle me a bit, too.

Look, you either get it or you don't. Don't be myopic. Different people have different priorities, and the Model 3 is taking customers from across the automotive spectrum who will be looking for different things. For me, having to repeatedly disable an option, or having a car that fights me for the wheel, or having to wonder if the car is GOING to fight me for the wheel, would ruin my driving enjoyment and thus be a dealbreaker. For other people this makes them feel unsafe and is thus a dealbreaker.

For you and many others, the experience of the car or the technology or the mission or whatever are paramount and this stuff isn't even on your radar, pun intended. Fine. But that's you. Don't call everyone else irrational.

It's really ironic you'd call me myopic while saying you're going to reject a car you might drive for the next 15 years over a software glitch that will likely see some sort of fix within 15 days.

I've had my car for 2 months. I've had 4 firmware updates in that time period, each bringing a series of new features, new bug fixes, and yes, new bugs. Literally new firmware every 15 days. If you buy any other car on the market right now, it will retain any annoying bugs for the life of the vehicle. But Tesla is different; it will be fixed.

It's really ironic you'd call me myopic while saying you're going to reject a car you might drive for the next 15 years over a software glitch that will likely see some sort of fix within 15 days.

I've had my car for 2 months. I've had 4 firmware updates in that time period, each bringing a series of new features, new bug fixes, and yes, new bugs. Literally new firmware every 15 days. If you buy any other car on the market right now, it will retain any annoying bugs for the life of the vehicle. But Tesla is different; it will be fixed.
Not buying a car today doesn't keep you from buying the car in two weeks when the issue is fixed... Tesla says you can return the car for any reason, they can hold it a couple weeks to see if the issue is resolved, its not the end of the world.

I took delivery first week of may with HW3 i had an update when I took delivery. That was for 12.1.2 that was the last update i have seen. i just checked with support and according to them i don't have the update waiting yet. My model S has received 2 updates this month.
I chatted with customer support yesterday and they told me the same exact thing. They also confirmed that I do have HW3.

I think that 2019.16.3 is only for HW3 cars. Not 100% sure but it seems to be shaping up to be that way. I'm not aware of any confirmed HW3 vehicle that has received 2019.16.1 or 2019.16.2

• Informative
Reactions: willow_hiller
Sounds like Zoinks should have purchased an older car built prior to autopilot. He can get a kick ass deal on a Model S and drive it without worry. Personally, I bought my Model 3 because I wanted all of the automation. I thought that was the point of the car.

Who told you automation was the point? I thought emissionless driving was the point? Or a superior propulsion technology and better driving experience?

I'm looking forward to playing with autopilot in traffic, and someday a long time from now when I can literally get in the car, buckle my seatbelt, and say "Ok, Tesla, take me to ______" and then open up a paperback, I will be enthusiastically on board. Until then this is all talk and the car needs to leave me alone when I'm driving.

Some people are desperate to be relieved of the burden of driving. I'm not one of them. I want a Model 3 because it's clean, it seems like an awesome car to drive, autopilot will be a plus in heavy traffic. Removing 95% of what I have to be aware of while driving is not a selling point for me.

Also, again, nothing indicates this is temporary.

I don't think there's a grounds to reject delivery. What would you tell the delivery team? "Hold onto it for me for 2 weeks until a patch is released?" Good luck getting your deposit back in that case. There's nothing wrong with the vehicle, and if there's this much complaining online Tesla will allow it to be permanently disabled in the next update.

Considering that I can reject the car for any reason up to and including "the fart noises weren't accurate enough" for a week after delivery, I don't think that will be an issue.

And again, if I KNEW Tesla was ever going to allow this to be permanently disabled, I wouldn't be worried. But I don't and neither do you.

I love my 3, but going to chime in as well as ELDA is downright dangerous, and I keep forgetting to turn it off!

Received 16.2 on Friday. Had two very scare ELDA event over the weekend where the car tried to steer me into oncoming traffic. There are times when I need to drive on the white/right line for safety, to avoid potholes, or to miss drifting oncoming cars on a two lane highway, 55MPH speed limit. This feature is very scare as it unexpectedly steers toward the other side of the road. It happens too quickly to 'fight/disengage' it, and could result in a lethal accident. I know I can turn it off each drive, but have forgotten several times only to end up with another harrowing event. It activated at least 4 times in a day, none of which were necessary, and two of which were very scary. I love my 3, but am afraid to drive it until the software is rolled back or updated to allow permanent disabling of the feature. Telsa, if you're listening, please do so immediately: allow permanent disable of ELDA. P.S., This also freaked out my wife, so so much for the Model Y I had talked her into ordering. Very sad.

Just for clarification, can someone confirm that ELDA cannot be permanently disabled in 16.3 (I know it can't in 16.2)?

On 12.1.2 right now and it's asking to update. Will not perform the update if ELDA can't be permanently disabled.
I was just wondering this. I don't think I'll accept an update until ELDA can be permanently disabled....I can't believe how many people seem to be experiencing terrible false positives with this!

I'm dismayed that these false-alarm reports keep coming. Why aren't people remembering to disable ELDA when they get in the car? I have an AP2 MS, so ELDA is not included in 16.2, but if an upgrade brings it to me in present form, I'll sure as hell not forget to disable it before driving. It should be part of the ritual of buckling up and checking the mirrors before putting the car in gear.

It's starting to become 2nd nature for me to turn it off, but it's still annoying to do every single drive: tap car icon, tap autopilot, scroll down, tap ELDA toggle, click disable on confirm popup, close menu. It's annoying, especially if you're running a bunch of errands back to back since you have to do this after every time you put the car in park.

Unlike some here, I'm not angry at Tesla. (In fact, I'm pretty weary of all the outrage that's expressed on forums.) It's a glitch. Glitches are inevitable when you choose a car that updates its features every 20 days. It will be rectified.

FWIW, I'm not angry. I noted in one of my posts about this that I'm glad Tesla is aggressive with pushing new features, and I love my Model 3. But when they do misstep with something severe enough to prevent me from being able to continue recommending the car, it's important to be vocal about it so they fix it quickly.

Until it is, we have to participate with Tesla in this miraculous system that gives us a "new car" every month. This week, at least, that participation involves letting the developers know there's a problem with ELDA and TURNING IT OFF until they fix it. I'll never willingly go back to the old way of upgrading cars only by buying a new one, and I'll not expect perfection in every update on my Tesla.

Totally agree. I've let Tesla service know, as well as posting here, and elsewhere. And to be clear, I hope that Tesla continues to be aggressive with pushing new features. Would rather they're aggressive with quick fixes/iteration vs stagnant like pretty much everyone else.

Reactions: willow_hiller
Just for clarification, can someone confirm that ELDA
cannot be permanently disabled in 16.3 (I know it can't in 16.2)?

On 12.1.2 right now and it's asking to update. Will not perform the update if ELDA can't be permanently disabled.
Back in page 2 or 3 someone already has confirmed, if you go back and scan there.

<edit> Correction, it was confirmed on page 1 that the reset of the option behavior is the same as 16.2 Tesla Software 2019.16.3

Last edited: