Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software updates - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did anyone get their Trips reset during the update process? Either I need to talk to the kids or Tesla decided to reset everything! Since I've lost the trip data from the start, I don't have the overall efficiency data for the car. I found that useful to compare a given trip to the overall average. I guess it's buried away in the car data, if I connected an ODB device, but that's a bit over the top for one piece of data.

Good morning

Has anyone else noticed that the regenerative braking isn’t the same as before after the software update? In the last two days, I’ve had to use the friction brake more often
Feels the same for me, are you wearing a heavier shoe on that right pedal as you become more accustomed to the car. I am loving how stable it feels as you zip around a corner.

If you want free, TeslaMate does an excellet job. It's great having a complete diary of everything- trips, charges, efficiency, Battery SOH and lots more.

Regarding 14.8, here are my quick observations for a MIC Intel car:

Heaps more visualisation including traffic coming the other way (new)
Brake light detection pretty good but no turn indicators decoded
I like the headlights
No regen difference
No degradation on turn signals & resetting same
No loss of data
I like the bigger speedo and the thicker vertical regen/use/brake line
Also like the average speed camera stuff, the trip progress bar and speed camera notifications
The "steering lines" are sometimes useful
Probably some other things I like but cannot think of them now. Overall, pretty big release

Perhaps the cold weather is having an effect, as others have suggested. I need to check this on various time
If you notice the Regen isn't as strong, look on the screen next to where the headlights on logo resides for a green brake caliper logo, that means that the computer has decided to limit your Regen typically for either a high state of charge or cold weather (below 10 degrees C in has been the trigger for me for the past two Sydney winters).

Heaps more visualisation including traffic coming the other way (new)
Thats weird. I get Turn signals showing up in the visualisations. Maybe stop a little closer to the car in front and see if u get them. As mentioned earlier it is annoying they removed the media input selector from the audio playing card. Decent update though.

If you notice the Regen isn't as strong, look on the screen next to where the headlights on logo resides for a green brake caliper logo, that means that the computer has decided to limit your Regen typically for either a high state of charge or cold weather (below 10 degrees C in has been the trigger for me for the past two Sydney winters).
yeah morning weather here is always less than 10, will check the screen. My max charge is restricted to 80% only. Also I have seen for my daily commute I consume only 10%, should I change by upper limit to 70% for daily use instead of 80%?

Feels the same for me, are you wearing a heavier shoe on that right pedal as you become more accustomed to the car. I am loving how stable it feels as you zip around a corner.
One thing is for sure, after a week of getting used to the car, I’ve been pushing it to the speed limit more often. However, I’ve noticed that when I lift my foot off the pedal, it doesn’t stop as quickly as I expect. There were two instances in traffic where, if I hadn’t applied the friction brake, I would have hit the car ahead of me. Both times, it was in the morning when the temperature was less than 10 degrees

Thats weird. I get Turn signals showing up in the visualisations. Maybe stop a little closer to the car in front and see if u get them. As mentioned earlier it is annoying they removed the media input selector from the audio playing card. Decent update though.
That turn signal indicators on screen for me appear to be rather AI generated as opposed to what is visually seen in front of the car. Occasionally it gets it right but more often it indicates the wrong side on the visualisation as opposed to the indicator that is on for the car in front of me. I have even seen it show on the visualisation the left indicator on for like 3-4 cars in front of me, when none of them have any indicators on. I wonder if the led indicator lights frequencies mess with their detection by cameras here.

Did anyone get their Trips reset during the update process? Either I need to talk to the kids or Tesla decided to reset everything! Since I've lost the trip data from the start, I don't have the overall efficiency data for the car. I found that useful to compare a given trip to the overall average. I guess it's buried away in the car data, if I connected an ODB device, but that's a bit over the top for one piece of data.
Yeah happened to me twice so far. I was quite upset that the lifetime statistics were gone.

Updates have also factory-reset things at least twice, meaning all the settings had to be re-done. The most annoying thing is putting all the navigation addresses back in as Favourites - for both/all profiles.

More recently, some settings (not nav' favourites in my case grrr!) come back from the cloud so that helps, but only for the profiles which are actually uploaded / stored remotely.

Really annnoying, hence why I'm on 2023.44.something. Until an update comes along which actually offers significant improvements (not aware of anything for a 2019 Model 3 at this point), the risk/reward equation just isn't adding up in favour of "up"-dating.

• Informative
Reactions: elddum and louco73
Also like the average speed camera stuff,

Just went up and down the east coast through a few average speed zones (for trucks only in NSW).

Anyone else notice the average speed shows the 'real' speed as the average rather than the speedo speed? ie. Using an ODB reader the Tesla deliberately shows 1-2km over on the display rather than the real speed.

eg. Hitting a 110 km/h zone doing 115. No fluctuation in speed by me at all. The average speed will be 113 even with my display showing 115. Even though my speed has never fluctuated. No matter how long I stay at 115 it will never go up.

Just something I found interesting.

I've noticed this, but I also think the colder weather might be partly to blame. More often than not, my vehicle shows 'too cold for regen'. My commute to work is only 20 mins and I have a terrible habit of not pre-conditioning before I leave in the morning (start times vary so I regularly forget to schedule it).
This is one of the reasons I use 'scheduled departure' (without preconditioning, though) instead of 'scheduled charge'. Even without preconditioning, the process of charging warms the battery, so if you charge within a few hours of departure it will still hold a decent amount of that heat when you go to leave. When I used to schedule charging to start at 10pm, it would finish in an hour or two and then cool down overnight, and I'd see a lot more of the 'regen limited' bar and warning.

I also have a MIC vehicle with Intel MCU, and I'm seeing turn indicators decoded sometimes. It's not all that accurate, though: sometimes it sees turn indicators when they're not on (just brakelights), and sometimes it doesn't see turn indicators that are on. Don't they still use red turn indicators in the USA? I suspect it might be tuned for that.

More recently, some settings (not nav' favourites in my case grrr!) come back from the cloud so that helps, but only for the profiles which are actually uploaded / stored remotely.
The weird thing is that the favourites are stored in the remote profile, because when I borrowed a loaner car from the Tesla Service Centre, my favourites came down with my profile (I could just tap 'Home' in the loaner to navigate there, pretty nice experience).

• Informative
Reactions: elddum
I also have a MIC vehicle with Intel MCU, and I'm seeing turn indicators decoded sometimes. It's not all that accurate, though: sometimes it sees turn indicators when they're not on (just brakelights), and sometimes it doesn't see turn indicators that are on. Don't they still use red turn indicators in the USA? I suspect it might be tuned for that.
They did, and probably still do.
Combined with no standard for refresh rate of LEDs, and a broad range of allowable indicator flash rates, I can see handling all types of vehicles (and countries) is going to be a drawn out process...

Reactions: moa999
upper limit to 70% for daily
I typically only go to 55 or 60, as daily for me is only 10-15 %, and I work from home a lot and slow charge of solar.
If you don’t need it, don’t charge for it is my motto. There’s a whole bunch of threads on TMC on the subject of battery charging and health, but I am working on the premise the battery likes to sit around 50-55% for optimal life. Of course if you need it, charge to what your circumstances require.

Reactions: Gavarse