Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Supercharger network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the top media markets aren't really relevant.
What are much more relevant to Tesla's vision (IMNSHO) are traffic patterns. How heavily are routes traveled?
I'm reasonable certain that the East-West connection wasn't based on traffic patterns but on ease of permitting / construction / simply picking one and going for it.
But I'd assume that after that they'd go for traffic density. Sadly I can only find numbers for "urban highway sections" at the DOT website... and more googling didn't really find anything useful, either.
It seems that I95 (well covered) and I40 and I70 are considered among the busiest ones? Does anyone have better data?

I agree traffic patterns of existing and prospective Tesla owners is far more important. Given that I don't have access to Tesla's owner database and sales leads, I figured top media markets is a reasonable approximation of the density of current and future owners. Certainly not absolutely true, as I'm sure a lot of you might live in more desirable, less dense places. However, it does become more true as we approach Gen 3 sales.

DoT definitely has some of this information, I just haven't had the time to sort through it and crunch it. In actually a survey tool is probably more warranted, something that EV owners could populate with their desires. Not sure if people would actually respond to that. I do think that surveying Tesla owners is far more productive than any other population of people with respect to long distance BEV travel, simply because we live this experience right now. For instance, I think Nissan Leaf owners are not a good proxy - when they get 50+kWh cars, they their habits and desires will change.

I agree traffic patterns of existing and prospective Tesla owners is far more important. Given that I don't have access to Tesla's owner database and sales leads, I figured top media markets is a reasonable approximation of the density of current and future owners. Certainly not absolutely true, as I'm sure a lot of you might live in more desirable, less dense places. However, it does become more true as we approach Gen 3 sales.

DoT definitely has some of this information, I just haven't had the time to sort through it and crunch it. In actually a survey tool is probably more warranted, something that EV owners could populate with their desires. Not sure if people would actually respond to that. I do think that surveying Tesla owners is far more productive than any other population of people with respect to long distance BEV travel, simply because we live this experience right now. For instance, I think Nissan Leaf owners are not a good proxy - when they get 50+kWh cars, they their habits and desires will change.

I think the analysis was great. At the end of the day, whatever we come up with most likely will not change the direction of Tesla so I'm not sure its worth the effort to get it more accurate. In a years time hopefully Superchargers will be wide spread. Unfortunately we just need to sit back and wait...

I think the top media markets aren't really relevant.
What are much more relevant to Tesla's vision (IMNSHO) are traffic patterns. How heavily are routes traveled?
I'm reasonable certain that the East-West connection wasn't based on traffic patterns but on ease of permitting / construction / simply picking one and going for it.
But I'd assume that after that they'd go for traffic density. Sadly I can only find numbers for "urban highway sections" at the DOT website... and more googling didn't really find anything useful, either.
It seems that I95 (well covered) and I40 and I70 are considered among the busiest ones? Does anyone have better data?

The East West route was determined by Elon's Trip with the kids.

Just to make sure I didn't give the wrong impression... I loved your analysis.
And the way you drew the circles (except for Atlanta :p) basically gave an idea in which direction(s) people from these big markets could get to a supercharger. So it is indeed a great first approximation based on easily available data.
What it doesn't take into account are the "migration patterns" for lack of a better term. We know that TONS of people drive between LA and SF. How many drive between Atlanta and Denver?

Aren't superchargers great? I was just comparing your charging screenshot with mine from the Angola, Indiana supercharger and noticed that where yours says 120 kW, mine says 391 mi/hr. I hadn't noticed before but I guess you can choose which to display?
May 2014 Indiana vacation, camera pics 052.JPG

Living in the "tech-challenged" deep south I had yet to experience a Supercharger in one year of ownership. That changed this week when I made my way to the Texas Supercharger "Island".

Very pleased to see 120 kW charging of my one year old Model S. Spoiled now and understand that getting the Supercharger network completed nationwide is a key piece to the acceptance puzzle...

Mike
View attachment 52991

Can we identify the changes? Chattanooga moved to Coming Soon and Nashville to 2014. Can we get a list going?

for so. Cal, looks like we've added Ontario, Ca and Cabazon to coming soon in addition to the known Downtown LA and San Diego, Indio, El Centro and Oxnard.

No. Cal looks to have Truckee and Manteca

NV looks to have Primm and another Las Vegas location

Last edited:
They have adjusted the 2014 and 2015 maps as well. The changes are too numerous to mention, but for 2014 place a focus on continuing I-70 and I-90 at appropriate spacing and adding an additional north-south route along I-65. The biggest casualty is I-84 and I-80 north and east of Salt Lake City, along with several sites in northern states that don't link major cities.

Can we identify the changes? Chattanooga moved to Coming Soon and Nashville to 2014. Can we get a list going?

In addition to the California changes, there new ones appear to be Hope BC*, The Dalles OR, Billings MT, Topeka KS*, Chicago south side IL, Indianapolis IN, Okeechobee (?) FL, Orlando FL, Chattanooga TN*, Lake City FL*, Maryland DC suburbs (?), and Hartford CT.

* TMC already had knowledge of these upcoming locations.

Edit: the Okeechobee and Orlando dots might be the long-rumored Ft Drum and Lake Turkey service plazas on the Florida Turnpike.

Last edited:

1 Log In Page Redirect:
QC, Drummondville Sign into My Tesla | Tesla Motors

28 Coming Soon:
AZ, Casa Grande Casa Grande Supercharger | Tesla Motors
AZ, Cordes Lakes Cordes Lake Supercharger | Tesla Motors
AZ, Wickenburg Wickenburg Supercharger | Tesla Motors
CA, El Centro El Centro Supercharger | Tesla Motors
CA, Indio Indio Supercharger | Tesla Motors
CA, Los Angeles Downtown Los Angeles Supercharger | Tesla Motors
CA, Manteca Manteca Supercharger | Tesla Motors
CA, San Diego San Diego Supercharger | Tesla Motors
CO, Denver Denver Supercharger | Tesla Motors
FL, Tampa Tampa Supercharger | Tesla Motors
FL, Gainesville Gainesville Supercharger | Tesla Motors
GA, Atlanta Atlanta Supercharger | Tesla Motors
GA, Tifton Tifton Supercharger | Tesla Motors
ID, Coeur d’Alene Coeur d'Alene Supercharger | Tesla Motors
MA, Auburn Auburn Supercharger | Tesla Motors
MA, Sagamore Sagamore Supercharger | Tesla Motors
NC, Charlotte Charlotte Supercharger | Tesla Motors
NH, Portsmouth Portsmouth Supercharger | Tesla Motors
NJ, Edison Edison Supercharger | Tesla Motors
NV, Primm Primm Supercharger | Tesla Motors
PA, Allentown Allentown Supercharger | Tesla Motors
SC, Greenville Greenville Supercharger | Tesla Motors
UT, St. George St. George Supercharger | Tesla Motors
VA, South Hill South Hill Supercharger | Tesla Motors
BC, Squamish Squamish Supercharger | Tesla Motors
ON, Cornwall Cornwall Supercharger | Tesla Motors
ON, Kingston Kingston Supercharger | Tesla Motors
ON, Toronto Toronto Supercharger | Tesla Motors

"Coming Soon" Locations Added on July 11, 2014
TN, Chattanooga
IN, Indianapolis
KS, Topeka
MT, Billings
OR, The Dalles
BC,???

Last edited:
"Coming Soon" Locations Added on July 11, 2014
TN, Chattanooga
IN, Indianapolis
KS, ???
MT, ???
BC,???

Perfect. Feel like we need a Wiki on the first page of this thread like the Model X Tally has. We can display this list there.

- - - Updated - - -

Lake City, FL is definitely new. Also the Charlotte, NC location may have changed. Before it appeared to be directly on top of Charlotte, now its a bit west. Possibly Gastonia or Belmont?