Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

text from service center (downgrade from sr+ to sr)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just because this is what Tesla has historically done does NOT mean they haven't changed something and not told anyone. We all know how great they are at communicating.

Ohh come on...Yes they *could* have changed something, but unless you have some kind of actual PROOF of this then please don't guess. And some service center employee randomly telling you something doesn't make it so either.

Now...IF you can get a service center employee to show you a TSB, or actually specifically define HOW something has changed that someone can then actually test...then we have something to test and verify.

I agree it is unlikely that they've change anything, and I'm not asserting that they have.

But given my own battery stats @ 7,000 miles, I want it to be the case that they've changed something. Because otherwise my battery apparently sucks.

I hope your driving that off immediately and not leaving the car at 100% very long.

A software-limited 100% is not the same and doesn't have the same impact to battery charging. Given that they are now reserving ~10% battery for non-use, there is no way the OP can overcharge that battery. I would have no problem always charging to 100% in this scenario.

Just because this is what Tesla has historically done does NOT mean they haven't changed something and not told anyone. We all know how great they are at communicating.
My 2 cents on why it does NOT consider driving habits:
I’m constantly around 220w/hr consumption
I have the consumption fromthe beginning at it’s 224.
Both numbers are below the consumption figure that would be used to calculate 240 (SR+) or 220 miles (SR)
Before downgrade I was aleays spot on 240 (using the projected miles / percentage)
As soon as I was downgraded I was moved to 210/215.
If the sustem would have consid red the driving habits I should be above 220 and not below

A software-limited 100% is not the same and doesn't have the same impact to battery charging. Given that they are now reserving ~10% battery for non-use, there is no way the OP can overcharge that battery. I would have no problem always charging to 100% in this scenario.

First I know nothing about this ~10% reserve. And if the reserve is there how do you know it's not at the bottom end?

And when my Car is 100% YOU KNOW IT there is no headroom. Zero Regen braking.

Personally I don't even like leaving my car at above 80% for long term. It's your battery and you can do what you want.

I think most people would agree, not to leave your battery above 90%.

And when my Car is 100% YOU KNOW IT there is no headroom. Zero Regen braking.

Just to argue a bit here...that doesn't really mean anything since everything is programmed...Even if a battery is top locked, Tesla could still program the regenerative braking functionality based on the user allowed capacity.

Either way, it is kind of hard to prove unless Tesla makes a statement of how they lock out the battery on whatever vehicle.

Just to argue a bit here...that doesn't really mean anything since everything is programmed...Even if a battery is top locked, Tesla could still program the regenerative braking functionality based on the user allowed capacity.

Either way, it is kind of hard to prove unless Tesla makes a statement of how they lock out the battery on whatever vehicle.

That would be ludicrous. No pun intended ;)

I'm sure there are "safeties" from blowing up your battery. I'm also sure they would not emulate limited regen to fake a full battery.

I agree it is unlikely that they've change anything, and I'm not asserting that they have.

But given my own battery stats @ 7,000 miles, I want it to be the case that they've changed something. Because otherwise my battery apparently sucks.

There is no need to guess or rely on Tesla employees to determine what the rated range miles mean. You can simply measure the value (Trip Wh/mi * Trip Miles) / (Rated Range Delta). For sufficiently long trips (say over 30-50 rated miles used, preferably 100, in a single drive), this will come out to always be a constant.

To the extent it is not a constant, the error is probably due to BMS estimation error. But you can do such calculations on long trips spaced in time when BMS error is not likely, and you’ll find it is basically always constant.

For my car I always get 230Wh/rmi. The precision on that is 2 significant figures, so it might be closer to 235Wh/rmi. But it is always very close to the same value.

Summary: no guessing, no Tesla employees, no TMC members are needed. The data is all there for straightforward careful experiments to empirically determine your constant.

True. But if Tesla does not do this, and significant regen exists at 100% charge for the SR, that does definitely mean the battery is not full. I’m sure someone has posted definitively on this at some point. It would take just a single picture including temperature, rated range, 100% charge, and the number of regen dots from an SR and then the answer would be known. We would not know exactly how much room existed above 100%, but we could probably estimate from an SR+ under similar temp conditions at a lower SoC. Two vehicles (SR and SR+) with good condition batteries would be required to estimate.

Immediately before the downgrade my battery statistics were 100% “On The Money”! The range showing at 90% charge was 216 and range showing at 100% charge was 240. Then, IMMEDIATELY after the downgrade, I charged the car to 100% which capped out at 210.
It is clear to me (and anybody with half a brain) that the software limitation downgrade had eliminated 30 miles of range rather than the 20 miles. We are supposed to have the Standard Configuration range of 220. (Delivery Date March 27, 2019 - current mileage 2,918 - 231 Wh/m)

Reactions: J-Ho and smashcz
I got the same response from a Tesla service rep back in April. Not sure if it’s the same for everyone but the rated range constantly changes according to the stats app. Mine dropped dramatically after a software update a couple of months ago and improved slowly when I kept driving the car efficiently (no fast accelerations or going very fast on the freeway). It decreased again after a software update and driving the car more aggressively.

Attachments

• 5AFB7954-5B94-4580-82EB-E8DFA8FFD544.jpeg
    5AFB7954-5B94-4580-82EB-E8DFA8FFD544.jpeg
    264.5 KB · Views: 56
That would be ludicrous. No pun intended ;)

I'm sure there are "safeties" from blowing up your battery. I'm also sure they would not emulate limited regen to fake a full battery.

Why not?

As far as the car is concerned, 50KW *IS* 100%

My X 60D would complain about charging to 100% even though we know the battery is top locked. Regen behavior should behave as if it was 100% at 60KW.

There is chatter after the Bjorn 5kwh loss video of Tesla adding to the reserve capacity at the bottom of SoC. Essentially 0% now is the old 4% or so. One theory was Tesla was making it harder for people to accidentally run out of battery when they get near 0%. Nobody knows for sure though since Tesla never tells us about BMS changes.