Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Three-position dynamic LED turning lights in new, custom Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They are probably only going to deal with each individual case (read: people who noticed and complained).
Once a single person gets retrofitted, the floodgates will open......

I posted this on another thread, but I do think Tesla's intention was to provide the standard fog light assembly based cornering light, but I think they messed up the messaging and web site features information. If I'm wrong, and the factory and logistics folks actually fitted the wrong (and presumably discontinued old headlamp) to current models, I am happy to accept the retrofit, if there is one. Somehow, I don't think that is the case, although I am more than happy to be proven wrong....

I do think Tesla's intention was to provide the standard fog light assembly based cornering light, but I think they messed up the messaging and web site features information.

Not sure intentions matter here. They were offering a set of standard features and they aren't delivering what was offered. Hopefully they will make it right.

Does anyone know how hard a retrofit would be? Is all the necessary wiring already there? Does the headlight assembly just come out, or do they need to take off the bumper and/or fender?

Once a single person gets retrofitted, the floodgates will open......

I posted this on another thread, but I do think Tesla's intention was to provide the standard fog light assembly based cornering light, but I think they messed up the messaging and web site features information. If I'm wrong, and the factory and logistics folks actually fitted the wrong (and presumably discontinued old headlamp) to current models, I am happy to accept the retrofit, if there is one. Somehow, I don't think that is the case, although I am more than happy to be proven wrong....
Yea but there are still people who are unaware of it unless Tesla does a recall. SO only those complain will get it. Pretty sure that's a small subset of owners (ahem, forum members) as most people don't go on forums.

Not sure intentions matter here. They were offering a set of standard features and they aren't delivering what was offered. Hopefully they will make it right.

Does anyone know how hard a retrofit would be? Is all the necessary wiring already there? Does the headlight assembly just come out, or do they need to take off the bumper and/or fender?
The headlight itself looks identical. Only the 2nd row is different (with a plastic plate vs LEDs). I can't imagine the retrofit will be difficult. I'd even say it's just a direct swap, but need the software activated. Not sure if the bumper/fender need to come out.

Is
Yea but there are still people who are unaware of it unless Tesla does a recall. SO only those complain will get it. Pretty sure that's a small subset of owners (ahem, forum members) as most people don't go on forums.

The headlight itself looks identical. Only the 2nd row is different (with a plastic plate vs LEDs). I can't imagine the retrofit will be difficult. I'd even say it's just a direct swap, but need the software activated. Not sure if the bumper/fender need to come out.

My guess is it's all about the wiring and if new needs to be added and if it does how difficult is that. As far as adding the bulbs they have to have a method as I am sure they have had to replace lights before.

Is

My guess is it's all about the wiring and if new needs to be added and if it does how difficult is that. As far as adding the bulbs they have to have a method as I am sure they have had to replace lights before.
I'd think they are going to swap the whole headlight. It doesn't make sense to open the sealed assembly and add the LEDs in there and re-seal it. When there's condensation in my BMW headlight they replaced the whole unit under warranty. They don't open it up to clean it and re-seal.

So whats the consesus here? My car finished production yesterday and is on its way. I emailed my DS to let her know about this and will see what she says. So we have NO new builds with the correct headlights?

FWIW, my S75D with the premium upgrades package has adaptive headlights. Took delivery 9/20; factory started production around 9/1(ish) and I really have no idea when it finished production -- MyTesla was being weird. I take it the people having problems did not get the PUP?

FWIW, my S75D with the premium upgrades package has adaptive headlights. Took delivery 9/20; factory started production around 9/1(ish) and I really have no idea when it finished production -- MyTesla was being weird. I take it the people having problems did not get the PUP?

I did not get the PUP after the changes they made over the summer. They made everything I wanted standard like thr headlights and smart air

So whats the consesus here? My car finished production yesterday and is on its way. I emailed my DS to let her know about this and will see what she says. So we have NO new builds with the correct headlights?

Correct. It appears that all non-PUP S's and X's ordered after the July 22 options repackaging were built without the adaptive headlights that should have been included.

Just doing some rough back-of-the-envelope math:

24k vehicles/quarter x 50% of the quarter's deliveries ordered after July 22 x 50% non-PUP = ~6k vehicles with the wrong headlights to date.

Not sure how accurate those assumptions are, but could also be a good bit higher given how back-loaded Tesla deliveries typically are at the EOQ and I would guess the rate that buyers were electing the PUP dropped after the July 22 repackaging.

• Informative
Reactions: Bebop

I had access to a Model X with the PUP option this weekend, and was able to examine the headlights and fog lights. The adaptive LEDs in the headlamp assembly (A1, A2, A3) DO indeed turn on one at a time as you turn the wheel more, until all three are lit. So 3-position may indeed refer to the 3 LEDs. Also, the fog light assembly DOES NOT have any additional light that turns on with the steering, unlike the Model S fog lights. So, the X folks have a case because the recent non PUP cars without the adaptive headlight assembly have NO turning lights of any kind from what I can see. And the web site features clearly state that the "Three-position DYNAMIC LED turning lights" are now standard, so where is it?

Ok, so if the X folks were really supposed to get the real adaptive LEDs as stated in the standard features, then so should the S folks, even though we have a weak LED in the fog light assembly. The same description is used on both models for this feature and if the X folks are supposed to get full adaptive, then so should the S folks.

Lets see what develops this week....

Last edited:
Let's hope that Tesla makes this right, otherwise someone in Arizona may need to contact the AG's office again... Seriously, how does a company with Tesla's valuation make such a boneheaded mistake? Expecting a high level of competence at Tesla is like expecting truth in politics.

Picked up our second Model S on Friday from Fremont (new build, production started mid Sept), non-PUP and had already dropped it off to be wrapped and coated. Just asked for pictures of the headlights from the detailer, and confirmed that I didn't receive the adaptive lights either (but have the cornering fog-light). Looks like I'll be emailing my OA and DS about this to see what their response is.

• Informative