TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Time to trade ap1...elon says yes

Discussion in 'Model S' started by fasteddie7, Mar 23, 2018.

1. fasteddie7

fasteddie7 Member

Writing on the wall...or a tactic to increase sales of new vehicles... Screenshot_20180323-140423.png

• Disagree x 1
    • Funny x 1
  2. BigD0g

BigD0g Active Member

Hell no, until they "actually" deliver some form of EAP functionality what's the point, unless you have wrecked your car or some other need arises. The hardware is changing every few months, the software is no where near delivered, just sit, wait and be patient.

• Like x 11
    • Love x 3
    • Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  3. jeffro01

jeffro01 Active Member

Well of course he would say yes... What business owner would say "no, we don't want a new sale so keep your old car"... Nothing to see here...

Jeff

• Like x 10
    • Funny x 1
    • Love x 1
  4. scottm

scottm Version 9 software sufferer

Notice it wasn't asked or answered "what car to get" instead of AP1.

You can fill in your own blanks....

I hear Uber has a fleet of lightly used Volvo's with self driving capability for sale.

• Funny x 5
  5. scottm

The smartest business owner would say, No. Keep the car and get another, newer one, from me.

• Love x 1
  6. BigD0g

BigD0g Active Member

Why's that, you already bought the car, so they have your $$$, now they can buy it back and resell it again for a profit and they get your $$$ again for the next car. I'm curious as to the benefit of the business to tell them to hold vs sell.

• Like x 1
  7. Saghost

Saghost Well-Known Member

I'm waiting for highway level 3.

Hopefully the current cars can all reach level 4 for all routes eventually as Tesla has said, but there's a significant chance they won't - or at least they'll need new hardware or Tesla will discover that new hardware makes it much better and release an improvement right after releasing the firmware.

So I'm waiting for them to release firmware that offers a definite, measurable improvement in my life over what I have now - and I expect the first of those to be SAE Level 3 for freeway driving - drivers legally permitted not to pay attention on the freeway as long as they can respond within some time period (10 seconds?)

Of course, there are risks to waiting - Tesla might raise prices or have too much demand when they do release such a thing. And, of course, the cars that can do level 3 on the freeway aren't guaranteed to eventually reach full level 4 either, so I might end up replacing again when that happens in several more years.

• Helpful x 1
    • Love x 1
  8. MIT_S60

MIT_S60 Member

Seriously, how about we first get parity for AP2?

• Like x 6
    • Love x 1
  9. jddssc121

jddssc121 Member

Elon has said a lot of things

• Funny x 5
    • Like x 3
  10. davidc18

davidc18 Active Member

beat me to it.

• Like x 1
  11. ucmndd

ucmndd Active Member

Or the obvious one-word response from a man who runs a car company to an individual asking if they should buy a new car.

• Funny x 2
    • Like x 1
  12. EinSV

EinSV Active Member

#12 EinSV, Mar 23, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
    I interpret this as Elon saying AP2 is better than AP1 in terms of performance.

Based on the videos of 18.10.4 I've seen it looks awesome so it does not seem like he's blowing smoke.

And in a recent TMC poll (admittedly unscientific), the vote is 84%-16% in favor of AP2. Poll: Has AP2 18.10.4 surpassed AP1 in terms of performance?

• Like x 7
    • Disagree x 1
  13. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

Based upon my very short test with AP2 in my brand new Model 3 versus AP1 in my S, I'd say that AP2 is more solid when it comes to staying centered in the lane. I haven't had much time for an extensive comparison, but I'm impressed with AP2, which is a sharp contrast to my 24 hour test drive in an AP2 Model X last summer: Horrid experience with AP2.

That said, I love my S's AP1. It's an absolute life saver in rush hour traffic. Barring a catastrophic failure of the car (or my winning the lottery), I'm keeping my AP1 Model S for a very long time.

• Like x 6
  14. headcase

headcase Member

lol. Nothing to see here, except a CEO telling the public to keep buying their latest stuff. Big surprise.

• Like x 3
  15. fasteddie7

fasteddie7 Member

That's what I was thinking. Heck, ap1 is still in beta, I can't imagine removing the beta tag without improving something.

16. Lookatthisguy

Lookatthisguy New Member

Meh, I'd buy for a bigger battery, but the rest is all snake oil.

And L3 ain't coming to Teslas. The liability shift from L2 to L3 will keep all the manufacturers from offering it. Audi won't be turning it on.

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  17. Saghost

Saghost Well-Known Member

#17 Saghost, Mar 23, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
    The liability shift and the associated legal/regulatory adjustments are certainly one of the harder parts of autonomous driving, but Tesla isn't most car companies, and I'll be surprised if they don't find a way to make it happen in due time.

It may not happen right away, but until it does, I have the best car in the world (if not in the fastest and longest ranged form) while I wait - and I don't think AP2+ can offer me anything I really want that AP1 doesn't until they manage to bridge the liability divide.

• Love x 1
  18. scottm

...hold keeps it off the used market, more scarce, hold prices up... and may swing a different wannabe buyer to get new as well. Make more money on new cars.

19. Beryl

Beryl Supporting Member

My thoughts exactly. I’m still enjoying my 12/15 build — the old nose, AP1, and 80 amp home charging 61 mph — see pic). I can’t get the latter with a new Tesla.
    7B3E545E-759A-44F5-98F0-377D65217335.jpeg

I figure that by the time they deliver on EAP, there will also be an internal design change based on lessons learned from model 3 and a bigger or more efficient battery. A year ago, didn’t Elon mention faster charging tech coming?

• Like x 3
  20. redbaronace

redbaronace Member

I am loving the AP1 still and use it very frequently. Makes driving / life easier.
    I wouldn't mind more power but find that the S85D is in reality everything i need.

What I do wish for was better range. Next in wants for me would be faster charging.

Im sure in the future, the cars will have 1000 mile range and be capable of charging in 10 minutes with stations all over the place.

That would be the death blow to gas cars.

• Like x 1