Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tracking Model Y orders

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Strange there's no mention yet of a delivery event like there was for Model 3 back in July 2017. I know that was quite the big deal in terms of making a transition, but for a car that's expected to sell more than all other Teslas combined, you'd think there'd be more fanfare...

Strange there's no mention yet of a delivery event like there was for Model 3 back in July 2017. I know that was quite the big deal in terms of making a transition, but for a car that's expected to sell more than all other Teslas combined, you'd think there'd be more fanfare...
i don't think some kind of fanfare is out of the question... elon probably has something up his sleeve yet

I don't think it is a line. I think it is more of a series of sets, where a set is defined by region, another by color, another by trim. When the correct intersection of the sets occurs such that Tesla can deliver the single largest amount with the highest rate of success and profit, then you will get your car. So if you put yourself in the correct set, then you will get your car earlier. My theory on the model 3 initial ramp is they had so many options, that they had to many sets, and the intersections were not large enough. Later they reduced that, for instance premium package was included, RWD was removed, etc. With the Model Y, they started with many fewer sets. So now, only the computer knows the right set, and which set will be produced first.
I completely agree with you, this is the only scenario that really makes financial sense for Tesla. Question is, will Tesla use the pre-order (reservation) or the actual order when deciding what to prioritize. Possibly they'll start with location and reservation date since those two dynamics are least likely to change during the pre-order period, then refine it further as actual orders are placed.

I completely agree with you, this is the only scenario that really makes financial sense for Tesla. Question is, will Tesla use the pre-order (reservation) or the actual order when deciding what to prioritize. Possibly they'll start with location and reservation date since those two dynamics are least likely to change during the pre-order period, then refine it further as actual orders are placed.

I don't remember any "reservation" for Model Y. Didn't Tesla go straight into taking orders?

Anyone have suggestions on how to curtail obsessing over this car and likely long wait for delivery? Its in my head way too much...embarasing and saps productivity.
Sounds so familiar. I decided to try to stop obsessing over the WHEN question by focusing on upgrading my Ham Radio license. All the studying required only left me with about an hour a day to read posts and watch Tesla YouTube videos. Happy to report I successfully upgraded yesterday so am back online obsessing...sigh.

I'm sure this has already been posted somewhere but I've searched without much luck. How long did Tesla go between delivering performance trim vs. LR AWD trims on the Model 3? Should we expect to see the AWD trims start delivering in April? The Wiki puts both models delivering at the same time although I know that's inaccurate.

I'm sure this has already been posted somewhere but I've searched without much luck. How long did Tesla go between delivering performance trim vs. LR AWD trims on the Model 3? Should we expect to see the AWD trims start delivering in April? The Wiki puts both models delivering at the same time although I know that's inaccurate.

With Model 3, RWD LR were delivered before the AWD and Performance variants. Those variants actually came later.

Noone really knows with Model Y, but it wouldn't surprise me if they were May or June.

I’m assuming we will see the CARB certification for AWD first, right? The MYP CARB came out around mid-Jan so I imagine we’d be looking at similar timeline from CARB-to-deliveries of ~2 months if it follows the Performance timeline.
That's what I was thinking although the great part is that these are so similar, they could get the CARB cert/EPA rating and start delivering immediately. Hopefully next month with deliveries starting in April : D

Sounds so familiar. I decided to try to stop obsessing over the WHEN question by focusing on upgrading my Ham Radio license. All the studying required only left me with about an hour a day to read posts and watch Tesla YouTube videos. Happy to report I successfully upgraded yesterday so am back online obsessing...sigh.
Congratulations on the new privileges! I won't ask for your call on the public forum! I'm a VE in Norman OK.

Sorry! Off topic! But you know how we geeks are! :D

Reactions: mhcrowder
Teslike Model Y Survey & Order Tracker stats as of 3/2/20
Total in spreadsheet: 590
Received Delivery Confirmation e-mail: 37

Deep Blue Metallic: 11
Midnight Silver Metallic: 4
Pearl White Multi-Coat: 18
Red Multi-Coat: 4
Solid Black: 0

Long Range AWD: 15
Performance: 22