Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] 2021.4.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think I owe Elon & Tesla an apology. Waiting for them to finally push the long delayed and much hyped significant update to FSD I had clearly in my frustration started thinking it would just always be, 'about 2 weeks away', while never actually arriving.
Seems I was wrong - apparently latest from Elon FSD upgrade is now 'about 1 more week delayed, 1 more week needed for further tweaking'.
So perpetual delay time for new FSD slashed in half - while still never actually arriving. That's progress!

I'm on 2021.4.18.. tried to use YouTube a couple of days ago whilst charging. The YouTube app took me straight to "YouTube NL", presumably because of the eSIM.

When I got there I tried to sign in, it knew my Google account from before but showed as "Signed out". When I clicked on it - it said that the browser was insecure, etc.

Figuring I needed to do the Plex/Runescape workaround, I opened the browser in the car and logged in to my Google account that way. This worked, however the YouTube app in the car was unchanged.

Any ideas how I can actually get logged in to YouTube in the car on 2021.4.18?

Thanks in advance.

Apparently Musky is more focused on closing our workarounds than fixing the basic YT implimentation

Reactions: drewpost
I managed to solve it in the end, but it was not a fun process. Basically, I did this:
  1. Disabled 2FA on my Google account
  2. Enabled "Allow less secure apps"
  3. Logged into Google via the YouTube app in the car*
  4. Re-enabled 2FA on my Google account
* I should add that I couldn't do this straight away after changing the "Allow less secure apps" setting in Google. I made that change yesterday and it didn't make any difference at the time, but this morning I was able to log in. It is also possible that the YouTube app let me log in because I was on WiFi in the UK, rather than LTE in the Netherlands (as far as Google is concerned).

Screenshot 2021-06-01 at 16.46.38.png

Reactions: goRt
The very limited 4.18.1 update started enabling interior camera for AP driver awareness possibly (a feature needed for all new cars within a few years) on a few TeslaVision cars. 4.18.2 also does the same, but Model S and X is not pure TeslaVision and do not have interior camera. So maybe the start of wider fleet rollout and camera monitoring is just falling out in the wash ?

• Informative
Reactions: Dilly
I spent some time logging into YouTube and seeing what worked in 2.4.18..

It seems it's sandboxed now - if you manage to get it logged in outside (eg. Using the RuneScape trick) you will be able to use other Google features like Gmail but not YouTube - that needs to be logged into separately.. any attempt to go to YouTube.com redirects to the in-car YouTube.

Equally signing out of an account in Google does not sign out of YouTube.

This is good, as it means if Google login ever works reliably in YouTube it won't compromise your Gmail account any more (which could lead to P2D bypass).

I could only get it to work on one of my old Google apps accounts - anything modern seemed to still give the insecure browser error.

Well 18.2 might activate the internal camera but it doesn't make any difference when it comes to having to nudge the steering wheel. Just went for a drive and it still nags after the 15s if you don't put torque through the wheel. Maybe it's running in the background for now?

I spent some time logging into YouTube and seeing what worked in 2.4.18..

It seems it's sandboxed now - if you manage to get it logged in outside (eg. Using the RuneScape trick) you will be able to use other Google features like Gmail but not YouTube - that needs to be logged into separately.. any attempt to go to YouTube.com redirects to the in-car YouTube.

Equally signing out of an account in Google does not sign out of YouTube.

This is good, as it means if Google login ever works reliably in YouTube it won't compromise your Gmail account any more (which could lead to P2D bypass).

I could only get it to work on one of my old Google apps accounts - anything modern seemed to still give the insecure browser error.
I had to disable 2FA and turn on "Allow insecure apps" in my Google account, and wait a period of time for those changes to stick, in order to be able to log in to the YouTube app in the car recently.

As you rightly point out, there is a separation of credentials now - logging in to Google on the web browser (runescape.com still works) doesn't log you in to the YouTube app, and attempting to even go to www.youtube.com opens the app in the car.

I had to disable 2FA and turn on "Allow insecure apps" in my Google account, and wait a period of time for those changes to stick, in order to be able to log in to the YouTube app in the car recently.

As you rightly point out, there is a separation of credentials now - logging in to Google on the web browser (runescape.com still works) doesn't log you in to the YouTube app, and attempting to even go to www.youtube.com opens the app in the car.
So totally broken, then?

Reactions: Durzel
Did you try using an app password instead of disabling 2FA? Sign in with App Passwords - Google Account Help

I'm in a loaner Model 3 for the next month or so whilst mine gets sorted out after getting hit. I'll go down and try to log in using this method and see that that works.