Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] 2023.44

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...well it was until earlier today.

M6 Birmingham in heavy traffic using Autopilot, 60 on the overhead gantries. My car in the middle lane was about to pass a slower vehicle in the outside lane but as the Tesla drew level with the rear bumper it decided to brake extremely heavily & drop back. The following driver nearly hit another car on the inside lane as he swerved to avoid mine.

Undertaking can result in a booking but this could have resulted in someone else booking an undertaker 😲

And same for me yesterday after having my repeater cameras replaced the journey in the dark from Manchester to Birmingham was faultless regarding braking issues. The journey home again in the dark, was far from faultless with multiple braking issues and one return to lane on an auto-overtake at 70mph. It was so violent that on an icy road it could have been quite serious.

Genuinely I’m unsure if this will ever be fixed, certainly on my car.

Last week I had a highland test drive and that too had a moderate hesitation when overtaking a vehicle on the motorway.

Sounds like this could be the culprit. I also had a look at that thread linked by Burley. It certainly fits, as the following day things were back to normal. But the day after that things went haywire again. And now things are back to normal. I have a SR open, which has been passed onto the service centre, however I haven’t heard anything further. So I guess it could be a firmware glitch causing the AP computer to crash, or my AP computer may be on its way out. Fortunately, I still have over a year left on the warranty, so I’ve got time to see how this plays out.
Just to update on this. Had a call from a Tesla tech, today. They’ve checked the logs and can see the AP computer is overheating and crashing. They think it’s an issue with the cooling system, so first step will be to flush the AC and main cooling systems to ensure there’s no air bubbles that are occasionally causing blockages. Appreciate this isn’t relevant to the software update, but just in case someone has a similar issue.

Just to update on this. Had a call from a Tesla tech, today. They’ve checked the logs and can see the AP computer is overheating and crashing. They think it’s an issue with the cooling system, so first step will be to flush the AC and main cooling systems to ensure there’s no air bubbles that are occasionally causing blockages. Appreciate this isn’t relevant to the software update, but just in case someone has a similar issue.
I had a similar issue last summer. Diagnosis was similar so I think the tech might be right.

Reactions: Cardo
There was a chap on one of the Facebook groups who had autopilot issues, and the result was a new (or at least a fair bit of work) on the cooling system manifold.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Durzel
I had a similar issue in 2022 when my car was new. They checked the cooling, replaced the Octovalve then finally replaced the AP computer as it's was determined that the cause was a faulty temperature sensor on the computers board.

My 2020 M3 (Freemont made) aircon compressor worked loose and severed the coolant pipe. Tesla replaced under warranty. Made my M3 give lots of warnings and slow down.

We did have a leak in the AC system over the summer, leading to Tesla having to fix the AC system and then re-gas it, so it could all be related to that. But who knows… It’s booked in for next week, though it’s a mobile service rather than the in-centre appointment the tech said it would be…

As we were discussing the irritating eye tracking stuff here, trust an American to find the perfect explanation for why it's needed

My main question is whether the Apple fake eyes on the outside get detected.

My main question is whether the Apple fake eyes on the outside get detected.
They would not be detected. Despite the appearance of looking somewhat real in the Apple advertising, they don't look anything like that in real life (plenty of youtube videos showing how they actually look). Even if they did look more "real", face detection systems are more sophisticated than fooling for an image of a pair of eyes on a screen.

• Informative
The car doesn’t do eye tracking either. It just tracks the position of your head/face and whether is pointed towards the road or not, it cares not if you have a blindfold on.
It does actually. Try closing your eyes and see if you don't get a warning.

Actually don't. But please refer to the parameters captured by AI on the screenshot below :

cabin-camera.jpg

Reactions: KennethS
Not sure if it's the 23.44 update or the recent map update however when using navigation, I'm now reminded to keep right going past each motorway junction. Gets a bit frustrating on long journeys.

In addition, each junction I pass is now considered a turn, so looking at the navigation I've got no idea how long it is until I actually have to come off the motorway, only how long I've got until I pass the next junction!