Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] 2023.44

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, really they are going to fix the wipers soon, honest…

:p

IMG_0554.jpeg

As somebody who found their wipers worked fine (apart from when I had under diluted screenwash) - over the last couple of weeks I’ve had to intervene very regularly on rainy days. What’s frustrating me is that it appears that if I set them on level 3 in TACC then that setting gets lost when you turn off TACC - but remembered again when you switch TACC back on.

I still don’t get any dry wiping but it looks like I’m experiencing the pain some of you have experienced since day 1.

Reactions: nufan
They’ve never bloody worked satisfactorily for any extended period of time.
And they never will. The cameras physically can't see a water drop directly in front of them because of, y'know, physics, and so have to look to other cues. This might be a neural network to look for where droplets are sliding over the lens as the edges will introduce very specific distortions, or looking for spray from other vehicles.

And they never will. The cameras physically can't see a water drop directly in front of them because of, y'know, physics, and so have to look to other cues. This might be a neural network to look for where droplets are sliding over the lens as the edges will introduce very specific distortions, or looking for spray from other vehicles.
I don't think physics is the problem here. If you happen to have an IEEE membership you can read a paper on it here

Vision-based rain sensing with an in-vehicle camera

I suspect getting it "just right" involves lots of iterations and lots of learning data on the part of the NN.

Tesla does like to iterate using its customer base after all.

There may also be patent issues to deal with as I note various patents from automotive and tech companies in this space. Which might mean Tesla has to go the long way around in solving it to avoid a patent infringement.

Having read the paper linked to above and being familiar with how traditional IR based systems work, Tesla should be able solve this albeit on "Tesla Time".

Oh, stop it. It's been 5 years, hundreds of thousands of vehicles and probably trillions of data points.
I kind of agree they can probably solve this at some point or get it good enough. However with only a finite amount of compute to train their models, I think they’ve focused on FSD Beta and ignored trying to fix rain.

I wonder if the cost of solving this is less than the cost of putting a rain sensor in all their cars of course. Not sure Tesla is too bothered, it’s more they want as many parts of their cars to be in house and they don’t make rain sensors.

Reactions: spooksman and goRt

If you look at where the cameras are on the windscreen, they are in the place least likely to suffer poor vision as the air is moving fastest at the top and tends to be clear when I can't see!
Dry wiping is another pi$$ take with constant wiping when its not required. Can't the supposed AI note that a fly is in front of the camera and if it doesn't move when wiped to ignore it?
Seems easy to remove that issue so then they just need to make the wipers work when its raining!

Reactions: MB11
Someone at Tesla probably has (or at least had) a similar mindset that surely there are an abundance of visual cues to accurately indicate to the cameras and NN that rain is obscuring the view of the camera and/or driver.

But I think it's actually harder than they may have anticipated, and regressing at this point on Vision will be a major reputation hit, so they just have to plough on.

Let's face it, Tesla have a very capable engineering team, and if it wasn't for the overpromising culture within the business, they'd get a lot more credit for their progress. Instead they're being judged on the performance of the windscreen wipers.