Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK FSD Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I heard today via a relatively reliable source that a months FSD is coming to us all in the UK in the not too distant future. The approach I would speculate is two pronged. 1) Tesla get an opportunity to gather huge chunk of driving data for the neural net models developed and apparently working pretty well as of v12.3.3
2) existing customers who’ve not considered spending the price of another decent used car on a driving assistant get to try it and some might just feel the improvements are now worth it and pony up £6800. Additionally we all drag everyone and his dog for a drive in our Tesla’s to share the experience and so out of all those folks then there are a some folks who’ll be making use of referral codes for newly converted Tesla drivers. Definitely a watch this space moment I think…
A months trial of not much as it stands, is unlikely to open the floodgates of orders for FSD.
Those of you without USS won’t get summon but at least Autopark may work and in the right circumstances, auto lane change may choose to work.
Over and above EAP, all it will do is stop at traffic lights (or anything else it perceives to be traffic lights)

Unless the trial is going to be preceded by a major improvement, all you’ll get is proof it ain’t worth buying

I don’t believe it will be for “all”, usual ‘legacy’ S/X owner exemption. Nor regulated for cars without cabin camera. Nor before 2025.
Ah, apologies; “for all” was perhaps a bit generous - for all with later hardware revisions may well be much more accurate. I’m new to Tesla but learning that there are some distinct hardware categories, so that some loyal and early adopters may well feel justifiably neglected and duped…

Reactions: Pink Duck
So in summary Tesla believe that the current reg changes, as most of us interpreted, require the driver to confirm every action initiated by the system. They will continue to lobby for this to be removed but even the most optimal path would be end of 2025.

So in summary Tesla believe that the current reg changes, as most of us interpreted, require the driver to confirm every action initiated by the system. They will continue to lobby for this to be removed but even the most optimal path would be end of 2025.
And, to be honest, Tesla are right....it’s not self driving if the driver does the diving

And, to be honest, Tesla are right....it’s not self driving if the driver does the diving

Yet we already have to do that for NoA, even though its sold as onramp to offramp.

Personally I have no problem with having to confirm manoeuvres, in the same way as I don't mint confirming NoA lane changes, especially as I, and as has been confirmed by others several times before, would really only be looking at using it on dual carriageways and motorways.

Its a case of Tesla waiting indefinitely for 100% when many others would be happy with 90% now.

If I have to supervise what the car is doing and when it’s going to do it, it doesn’t feel a massive step to say “do it”. That said I think off ramps or anywhere the road kind of divides would be fine, but when you’re merging into another lane and where there might be existing traffic I think for a while I’d still like to be in charge. I already have trust issues when the car is say approaching stationary traffic or a roundabout and whether it’s going to slow down, deciding to change lane for me without my agreement would result in the need for more therapy

If I have to supervise what the car is doing and when it’s going to do it, it doesn’t feel a massive step to say “do it”. That said I think off ramps or anywhere the road kind of divides would be fine, but when you’re merging into another lane and where there might be existing traffic I think for a while I’d still like to be in charge. I already have trust issues when the car is say approaching stationary traffic or a roundabout and whether it’s going to slow down, deciding to change lane for me without my agreement would result in the need for more therapy
To me, supervised driving means that I can override the cars decisions....if I have to initiate everything then the car makes no decisions....

To me, supervised driving means that I can override the cars decisions....if I have to initiate everything then the car makes no decisions....

But you don’t have to override everything, just lane changes and turns.

I can travel hundreds of miles without needing to perform a lane change or turn so having to confirm by indicating really is no hardship. But we don’t get that ability because some are striving for 100% FSD functionally when 90% will do more than 90% of the time.

Important to also remember that 90% of the FSD functionally is ~99% EAP functionality, 100% with existing EAP functionality and 100% of current and future basic AP functionality. So with the tiny take up of FSD, the majority of people will benefit 100% with their current functionality and >100% with core improvements with FSD baseline.

It sounds like even with the changes coming to regulations later this year, it still isn't anywhere near enough for FSD to be deployed in the UK/Europe:

This is as clear an indicator as any to me that we won’t see FSD Beta, Supervised, whatever in a reasonable timeframe here.

People are optimistic when the UNECE moves forwards but the reality, as expressed before, is that Tesla’s strategy is to wait until regulations are relaxed enough to deploy FSD “as is” rather than creating parallel versions, e.g. “FSD Lite” for Europe.

That being said the restrictions on “system initiated manoeuvres” makes it sound like it would be very underwhelming in practical terms anyway.

The fact Tesla are continuing to sell this option, even with an “Upcoming” caveat is really poor in my opinion, fraudulent even. They know anyone buying the option is not going to realise “Automatic driving on city streets” in any meaningful timeframe.