Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[uk] UltraSonic Sensors removal/TV replacement performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If ever there was a reason for me not to replace my Tesla this is it. I’ll be leaving the brand in the next year.

Half arsed, poorly thought through and badly implemented in too short a timescale.

My mrs would have a complete breakdown driving a new m3 with no ultrasonic sensors and I’m not sure I would be happy with it either.
absolutely agree. When I come to change, I'll definitely be looking elsewhere in a lot more detail. How can a car not have them these days? Ridiculous decision

absolutely agree. When I come to change, I'll definitely be looking elsewhere in a lot more detail. How can a car not have them these days? Ridiculous decision
Wouldn’t be so bad if the cameras actually worked consistently, how many times have we had cameras blocked and blinded errors?

Developed by an Xbox generation who do not actually drive cars in the real world.

For me if Tesla just utilise proven tech for auto wipers, auto high beam, parking sensors and use their undoubtedly stretched development resources to concentrate on the self driving and higher order developments I’m sure they’d make much better progress.

I’m out in the new year I am afraid. My mrs has lost faith in the car already with the ahb hassle and phantom braking when I am driving (she won’t use the cruise never mind the beta fsd!).

I think Tesla are losing the plot personally but I can admire their commitment to the vision.

I think you are going to be stuck with only camera views. I recommend that you practice backing the car up to something soft to see how the camera view matches with reality. Inevitably the rear camera has a wide angle view which means that you think you have more room to play with than is really the case.

When I got my car I had cameras and USS sensors shouting at me… but still made contact with the garage door because I could see a view that looked like I had about a foot to play with when in truth there was only a couple of inches! The good news for you is that once I was familiar with the camera views I could judge my tight positioning at home visually even going beyond the STOP signal from USS without hitting anything!
Let’s not forget that a few firmwares ago there was an issue with rear camera delay. Regression bugs are not uncommon with Tesla.

I picked up my car over the weekend and it's great (not had issues with AHB yet, and auto wipers haven't really been tested yet), but the lack of USS (or substitute) really marred what would otherwise have been a very joyful day. Still, with the state of the competition I wouldn't have any other EV; but it's close. I certainly won't be recommending friends to get a Tesla outright after this experience.

By the time I'm getting a new car again, I suspect the serious car manufacturers will have caught up even more than they have already so I doubt my next car will be a Tesla. But let's see how things go.

When i reverse i get the rear and side cameras on the screen, and 2 car width lines on the screen (rear camera) that show the trajectory of the car based on the steering.

No distance calculator, no beeps. No beta mode to try. The last car i owned that didn't have reverse beeps this was a Citroen ZX! But the screen is good and ive had no issues reversing anywhere yet!

Again, going forwards there is nothing. And no front facing camera either. Although i have never owned a car with front facing parking sensors.

And no idea when we might get the elusive update either.
I confirm the same on my replacement M3, delivered yesterday. Through Zenith lease, ordered in Feb, no mention before delivery of USS or not

It’s worth mentioning how poor the rear camera is at night, possibly a function of really poor reversing lights rather than the camera itself. It’s the worst reversing camera I’ve had since 2015.
MCU1 cars were better. It took a nose dive with MCU2.

Compare low light performance of other cameras on your car and if it's anything like mine the rear view is worst. Dark and shadow is all black, especially if there is a bright light in the image.

So those USS definitely are important.

It’s worth mentioning how poor the rear camera is at night, possibly a function of really poor reversing lights rather than the camera itself. It’s the worst reversing camera I’ve had since 2015.
Yes but I'm quite enjoying the pair of really poor reversing lights on my new Y compared to the single really poor reversing light on my 3.

Last edited:
Just picked up my new M3 RWD today from Trafford Centre (bit of a nightmare trying to find the location, but that’s another story….)

Obviously apprehensive about the no USS thing, but I was very pleasantly surprised at the clarity of the reversing camera, even though it was dark by the time I got home. The cameras illuminate really well even in the dark. Got the reversing stripes but, as mentioned above, it’s a bit deceptive as you’re much closer to objects behind you than it appears.

Reactions: ACarneiro
Rear fog light in my ICE for the pre 5am early starts before street lights come back on. Reversing sensors aren’t very long range in that so you don’t have much time to react to those when they start beeping for the shrub covered wall. Doesn’t help that we have a 90 degree downhill turn to manoeuvre so a case of reversing into the abyss. Poor rear visibility is not just a Tesla problem but even with a parking sensor, admittedly poor, some reversing, especially when no/turned off lighting is still tricky.

MCU1 cars were better. It took a nose dive with MCU2.

Compare low light performance of other cameras on your car and if it's anything like mine the rear view is worst. Dark and shadow is all black, especially if there is a bright light in the image.

So those USS definitely are important.
Oh yes, just driven it. The side cameras are ok, yet the rear one is hopeless!

Not got a Tesla yet but wife is looking to order in a few days, probably a M3 Performance. The lack of this is a concern but don't think it'll stop us ordering. Car is so futurist in places and so backwards in others. When it comes to parking I think I've probably had 360 degree birds eye view for about 10 years in my own cars. Probably things like Matrix headlights that actually do the matrix tricks for about the same time.

Anyway I also understand why Tesla does this. They remove parts and bring it in house that reduces their costs. Obviously you'd hope at points they pass some savings onto the end users but they apparently make a very nice margin vs many other companies that make a loss on EV's.

If you watch the video on their occupancy network it's quite impressive. Pretty sure they'll also track what they know was there even as it goes out of view at the front so stationary objects shouldn't be an issue. Kind of like how my Land Rover does it's clear sight view under the bonnet of the car. There's no camera there. It's just images from the front facing camera it previously took and played back based on where there would now be on your speed.

Is it going to be treat launch though? Probably not. Guess just have to be patient and wait it out.

Not saying I fully like this but bringing it all in-house is likely the right way to go. All running off less hardware will be more efficient. Just think about all the chips other makes of cars need and what the lack of them is doing now. Tesla is clearly working to have the bare minimum number of chips. They are generally powerful enough to do multiple things, just when buying all off the shelf everything comes with its own dedicated chip.

Not got a Tesla yet but wife is looking to order in a few days, probably a M3 Performance. The lack of this is a concern but don't think it'll stop us ordering. Car is so futurist in places and so backwards in others. When it comes to parking I think I've probably had 360 degree birds eye view for about 10 years in my own cars. Probably things like Matrix headlights that actually do the matrix tricks for about the same time.

Anyway I also understand why Tesla does this. They remove parts and bring it in house that reduces their costs. Obviously you'd hope at points they pass some savings onto the end users but they apparently make a very nice margin vs many other companies that make a loss on EV's.

If you watch the video on their occupancy network it's quite impressive. Pretty sure they'll also track what they know was there even as it goes out of view at the front so stationary objects shouldn't be an issue. Kind of like how my Land Rover does it's clear sight view under the bonnet of the car. There's no camera there. It's just images from the front facing camera it previously took and played back based on where there would now be on your speed.

Is it going to be treat launch though? Probably not. Guess just have to be patient and wait it out.

Not saying I fully like this but bringing it all in-house is likely the right way to go. All running off less hardware will be more efficient. Just think about all the chips other makes of cars need and what the lack of them is doing now. Tesla is clearly working to have the bare minimum number of chips. They are generally powerful enough to do multiple things, just when buying all off the shelf everything comes with its own dedicated chip.

I felt the same as you - the lack of USS was troubling, but ultimately it didn't stop me from taking delivery of my Model 3 in late October. More than a month later, I'm still waiting for the Vision-based parking software to be added, but I am hopeful it will happen in the next few months. In the meantime, I try to focus on the other unique elements of the car, several of which are clearly years ahead of the competition. I also am hopeful that Tesla will add a 360 degree parking view; surely they must be working on this?

I felt the same as you - the lack of USS was troubling, but ultimately it didn't stop me from taking delivery of my Model 3 in late October. More than a month later, I'm still waiting for the Vision-based parking software to be added, but I am hopeful it will happen in the next few months. In the meantime, I try to focus on the other unique elements of the car, several of which are clearly years ahead of the competition. I also am hopeful that Tesla will add a 360 degree parking view; surely they must be working on this?
360 parking view has issues as there are lots of patents that stop tesla adopting it as they won’t pay. Also any 360 view would be part stale images due to current camera setup.

Reactions: Bricktopshog
I suspect the issue with some things like 360 degree cameras is someone has patented it. I see for instance Texas Instruments sell a solution for this that comes with its own chips, etc. Something which goes completely against Tesla’s approach of trying to remove hardware. Clearly, the car has enough power to do this, it just needs the software but patents might be stopping it. Otherwise don't see why they wouldn't have already done it.

Reactions: Bricktopshog

@FastLaneJB - you were on the D5 forum I think? M760 into D5? I was equilibrium over there and sold my D5 in May to move into a Model Y.

I’m missing a lot of things that I expected to miss (a good looking car, the body engineering, the handling, steering, the luxury and the features) but incredibly surprised how much better Land Rover technology is than Tesla’s.

I wouldn’t go back as I needed an EV and I would still pick a Model Y as I need the boot space. But it’s definitely beaten hands down in many areas by other EVs and other brands generally.

Defender has a front bumper camera