Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[uk specific] Software 2023.32

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
probably due to the FSD visualisations as someone mentioned.

What FSD visualisations are those?

‘FSD visualisations’ have been around for nearly 4 years now, but they are not the save visualisations as used on the North American FSD City Streets beta. Are they something new or changed in 2023.36.x? Not seen any previous mention of them.

I’m convinced that more of the single stack code is at play though even if it’s not specifically mentioned or obvious. Very much sounding that significant behavioural changes in recent releases are being observed. Might point to major stack changes. Disappointing if that is the case though as I was hoping that migration to new stack would bring improvements rather than regression in behaviour. Hopefully these will be sorted quickly even if single stack has been available in North America for quite some time now.

Last edited:
What FSD visualisations are those?

‘FSD visualisations’ have been around for nearly 4 years now, but they are not the save visualisations as used on the North American FSD City Streets beta. Are they something new or changed in 2023.36.x? Not seen any previous mention of them.

I’m convinced that more of the single stack code is at play though even if it’s not specifically mentioned or obvious. Very much sounding that significant behavioural changes in recent releases are being observed. Might point to major stack changes. Disappointing if that is the case though as I was hoping that migration to new stack would bring improvements rather than regression in behaviour. Hopefully these will be sorted quickly even if single stack has been available in North America for quite some time now.

• Informative
Reactions: MrBadger
I've upgraded to 23.6 tonight because 23.4 was absolutely awful on the motorway for phantom braking whilst passing other cars. I'd never had a problem until that update, probably due to the FSD visualisations as someone mentioned. Hopefully that'll be fixed in 23.6
I recently did a 300 mile round trip mostly on motorways and agree the braking when passing other vehicles was terrible. If they were anywhere near the line (but still perfectly acceptable), the car would slow as it passed (or sometimes slowed to stop the overtake) I had to keep the accelerator pressed during pretty much every overtake. At one point during slow moving traffic with a lorry behind me the car slammed on the brakes every time we were going past another car. The lorry must have thought I was brake checking him each time (though the idiot was way too close, to begin with).

I got 32.4 a week or so ago and used the car yesterday on the motorway with AP. Yes, it’s terrible with phantom braking when passing vehicles on the left. It makes it virtually unusable. Do they test this stuff?
Musk’s way of working is push through the change, if it doesn’t work then revert/change again. Problem is sometimes things get forgotten about and are left broken far longer than they should be. It’s a way of getting things done, but it can cause pain along the way. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Alwayshopeful
At one point during slow moving traffic with a lorry behind me the car slammed on the brakes every time we were going past another car.
It's been doing that for about 9 months. I don't know if there's a reflection or something but if it's the same thing that happens to me it's completely random hard braking at low speeds, triggered by traffic on the left and an HGV very close behind. I think it might be assuming that the traffic on the left wants to merge, but it's deeply bloody annoying when it happens.

• Informative
Reactions: Cardo
Musk’s way of working is push through the change, if it doesn’t work then revert/change again. Problem is sometimes things get forgotten about and are left broken far longer than they should be. It’s a way of getting things done, but it can cause pain along the way. :rolleyes:
It's a mindset that simply isn't going to cut it with anyone,when it comes to L3 or above., not least the regulators who sign these things off,

My overly cautious, old school approach to these things is I'd be wanting to start demonstrating that I have control of these things and not risk stuff. I recall on one of the days they talked about testing and they said they could simulate thousands of miles of driving, maybe thats reserved for the FSDb, but either way, I'm slightly sceptical. There isn't really an easy answer, but you are in danger of tuning things for your test rig and not the real world, and you've just moved the question to "how good is your test rig?" and can you really simulate the real world and all the thousands of edge cases that crop up?

I'm also sure old school thinking is why I'm not a multi-billionaire so I accept there might be more creative ways, but that doesn't mean I'm necessarily wrong on this one.

For me this is a big differentiator with Tesla and other car manufacturers.

Personally I do not think this approach for potentially safety critical systems is the correct way, but then I'm old school and have worked with people who worked on flight, defence, energy systems which have augmented my views from working on global financial systems and live broadcast which are a little less life threatening (but still potentially catastrophic in case of global financial systems) if things go wrong.

Those are my own personal views though and others may feel different. But until Tesla put a big caveat at point of sale "your car is unfinished and beta, its functionality may improve or worsen over time. Your car may be less functional then the one that you thought that you were buying" I think it is important that potential purchasers understand this and make up their own mind, because I certainly did not realise the extent of this when we purchased and would not have purchased had I done.

Last edited:
I got 32.4 a week or so ago and used the car yesterday on the motorway with AP. Yes, it’s terrible with phantom braking when passing vehicles on the left. It makes it virtually unusable. Do they test this stuff?
I'm fascinated by this, I have 32.4 and have just returned from a 600 mile round trip, nearly all on the M6 and M5, without any issues. Mind you, I'm only on the 'AP Free' version, no EAP or FSD.

How the cars or the experiences are so different is a puzzle.

I'm fascinated by this, I have 32.4 and have just returned from a 600 mile round trip, nearly all on the M6 and M5, without any issues. Mind you, I'm only on the 'AP Free' version, no EAP or FSD.

It doesn't get worse or better, it's just different days, different roads, different conditions and different driver expectations.

Back in 2019 when they were really changing the autopilot logic it was immediately obvious that the car behaved differently after an update, since development shifted to the new version our has remained largely identical. Even switching our radar for vision was largely imperceptible in good conditions, maybe does drive nearer in poor conditions although that might be my misinterpretation.

It wouldn't make sense for there to be a team in Tesla constantly tweaking the Autopilot code, sometimes making it a tiny amount better, sometimes making it worse, and achieving no real change over a year.

Reactions: Adopado

Very strange. I've never had any problems on any other version of software with the phantom slowing like this, when other cars have. However it was exactly like the other person described, it kept thinking the cars next to me were coming into my lane when they weren't.

It doesn't get worse or better, it's just different days, different roads, different conditions and different driver expectations.
There must have been a reason why .4 was pulled. My car was ready to install it for it to then disappear and took several days before .6 was then offered, and it wasn't just me as others reported the same thing. It might not has been for AP but there was clearly some issue that meant it was pulled.

Reactions: Doudeau
Likely the same AP running on top, but the rest of the stack is changing as they try to integrate more of the 'new' fsd code. Wouldn't surprise me if they swapped out some old code and the replacement didn't quite behave as expected in the real world.

They'll never tell us what's going on though..

Reactions: MrBadger