Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[uk specific] Software 2023.32

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The thing that interests me most about the EU regulatory "intelligent speed assist" is that it mandates that the car displays the current speed limit (which of course most cars do) but it also mandates minimum accuracy levels as to proportion of time that the displayed limit is actually correct.

Despite the regulations setting a pretty low bar, I expect many manufacturers are going to have to do some significant work to meet the accuracy standards.

Reactions: Simavon
The thing that interests me most about the EU regulatory "intelligent speed assist" is that it mandates that the car displays the current speed limit (which of course most cars do) but it also mandates minimum accuracy levels as to proportion of time that the displayed limit is actually correct.

Despite the regulations setting a pretty low bar, I expect many manufacturers are going to have to do some significant work to meet the accuracy standards.
I agree...but my Model 3 has most accurate speedo I’ve ever seen

I agree...but my Model 3 has most accurate speedo I’ve ever seen
Can't say I'm impressed with it on mine. Between maps being out of date and picking up speed limits on side roads, it does a poor job in town. Maybe slightly better on the motorway, but still has problems with variable speed limits and temporary restrictions, etc.

Also doesn't correctly process advisory speed restrictions on motorways (thinks they are speed limits, which technically they are not).

Can't say I'm impressed with it on mine. Between maps being out of date and picking up speed limits on side roads, it does a poor job in town. Maybe slightly better on the motorway, but still has problems with variable speed limits and temporary restrictions, etc.

Also doesn't correctly process advisory speed restrictions on motorways (thinks they are speed limits, which technically they are not).
I believe he means the speedo itself and not the sign detection.
While 95% of cars I've driven are overestimating your speed by 5%-10% (Telling you you are driving at 50mph while you are actually doing 45), Tesla's is completely accurate. Hence, when you are trusting it to go to the speed limit, you are not doing 5 under, and you do not need to add a couple mph above it.

I've driven on a smart motorway on the latest .26 release, and for the first time, the car has picked up a temporary speed restriction displayed on the gantry above my lane.

Reactions: Doudeau and Bouba
I've driven on a smart motorway on the latest .26 release, and for the first time, the car has picked up a temporary speed restriction displayed on the gantry above my lane.
Variable speed signs on gantries have worked for a while (at least a year) although when I was watching them closely car seemed to revert back to 70 just as you were coming up to next gantry - speed does revert to gps speed if it doesn’t ‘see’ a speed sign for an unspecified distance and I wondered if the next gantry was just outside that distance.

That said, last motorway trip I did I can’t say that I saw it pick up any gantry limits. Same stretch of road (M25 around Heathrow/M4) that I know it previously picked up variable speed gantry limits.

I’ve noticed a change in AP that I find a bit of a pain. When configuring AP, you can set it to start at the speed limit or the current speed when enabled. In relation to the speed limit, you can set an offset (ie. 5% or 10% over the posted speed limit). Previously, you could set it to current speed but still specify an offset for the speed limit. Whilst driving on AP, tapping on the speed limit icon or using the stalk would set AP to the speed limit with the specified offset. There’s been a change in this version where if you configure it to start at the current speed, it resets the offset to 0% so tapping on the speed limit icon will not use any offset you try to give it. So for me, I either set it to start at the speed limit with an appropriate offset, or use the current speed, then I can tap the speed limit, then I need to use the thumb wheel to add a bit to negate the under-reading speedo. I much prefer to configure it to current speed as the recognised speed limits are often wrong, but now it requires the extra step of manually adding an offset each time I tell the car to drive at the (believed) speed limit. I don’t really understand why they’ve made this change.

I’ve noticed a change in AP that I find a bit of a pain. When configuring AP, you can set it to start at the speed limit or the current speed when enabled. In relation to the speed limit, you can set an offset (ie. 5% or 10% over the posted speed limit). Previously, you could set it to current speed but still specify an offset for the speed limit. Whilst driving on AP, tapping on the speed limit icon or using the stalk would set AP to the speed limit with the specified offset. There’s been a change in this version where if you configure it to start at the current speed, it resets the offset to 0% so tapping on the speed limit icon will not use any offset you try to give it. So for me, I either set it to start at the speed limit with an appropriate offset, or use the current speed, then I can tap the speed limit, then I need to use the thumb wheel to add a bit to negate the under-reading speedo. I much prefer to configure it to current speed as the recognised speed limits are often wrong, but now it requires the extra step of manually adding an offset each time I tell the car to drive at the (believed) speed limit. I don’t really understand why they’ve made this change.
I wonder if this is not to comply with the new EU Regulation 'Intelligent Speed Assist'