Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK specific] Software Update 2023.26

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've never seen the car automatically slow for those changes, you have to tell AP to sync the speed again. But the blue border is new..
If you have switched to the relevant settings, basic AP will automatically slow when entering a lower speed limit.

One down side though is it doesn’t start slowing until after you passed the sign, as it doesn’t change the speed limit on the screen until you reach the sign.

On entering a higher speed limit, AP automatically speeds up again but it never seems to match the posted limit. For example going from a 30 to 40, it sets the ‘Max’ to something like 34 and will only speed up to that until you increase the speed with the scroll wheel.

Nope.. this is a conversation that comes up occasionally. It happens on a few roads but precisely zero around here. There are no settings. The 'max' will vary but it never affects the set speed.

During covid I tried to see on an empty road if it would limit you at all.. got AP to 90 in a 40..

Nope.. this is a conversation that comes up occasionally. It happens on a few roads but precisely zero around here. There are no settings. The 'max' will vary but it never affects the set speed.

During covid I tried to see on an empty road if it would limit you at all.. got AP to 90 in a 40..
I did a 2 hour round trip on Saturday and on entering a slower speed limit the car automatically slowed. This happened every single time I had AP switched on (twice down on the right stalk). If I tried to increase the speed beyond the posted limit using the scroll wheel it gave an error saying I wasn’t allowed to.

It's mapping/road dependent I think and on most roads they haven't enabled the option. It's really annoying as on the airport link road I frequently take the speed varies between 40/50/60/70 in several places. Holding down the stalk for a couple of seconds resyncs it but it's a couple of seconds you're potentially going 20mph above the speed limit + slowing down time.. Generally I just manually thumwheel it ahead of time.

An american told me it's like this because in most places in the US if you went at the speed limit you'd be a traffic hazard - they typically go 20-30mph above it.

It's mapping/road dependent I think and on most roads they haven't enabled the option. It's really annoying as on the airport link road I frequently take the speed varies between 40/50/60/70 in several places.

An american told me it's like this because in most places in the US if you went at the speed limit you'd be a traffic hazard - they typically go 20-30mph above it.
I’ll have to do some more testing. I’ve only had the car for a month and the journey on Saturday was the first time I really paid a lot of attention to the intricacies of AP.

Most of the route I did on Saturday was one I’ve never done before and it’s not much of a major route. A lot of smaller country roads and constant changes between 50/60 and 30/40 as you go in and out of villages. Ideal for letting the car keep me at the lower speed limits through the villages as I had no idea where any speed cameras might have been situated.

Auto speed changes do seem to be a bit hit and miss. But I wish they'd be enabled for TACC, too - in my experience they only happen with autosteer (or presumably NoA) but if you just have TACC enabled then they never seem to happen.
Quite a number of owners have said that TACC alone changes with speed limits. Mine never has and I test it frequently.
AP on the other hand will change when a lower speed is encountered but will not increase above the original set speed. I.e. if 60 was set; 60 -50-40-30 -40-50-60 but not 70

Quite a number of owners have said that TACC alone changes with speed limits. Mine never has and I test it frequently.
AP on the other hand will change when a lower speed is encountered but will not increase above the original set speed. I.e. if 60 was set; 60 -50-40-30 -40-50-60 but not 70
This is totally my experience…

I‘d really like TACC to follow limits, actually I’d just like a basic speed limiter function tbh!

Reactions: Dilly
I thought I read that speed limiters were becoming compulsory on new cars. Not sure whether or when this takes place in the U.K.
It was introduced into EU law in 2019 under something called “General Safety Regulation 2019/2144” and was one of several safety measures announced. From July 2022 in the EU, new models will have to have ISA “Intelligent Speed Assistance” and existing models in showrooms will have to have it by July 2024. Other things in the regulations are driver alerts if it thinks you aren’t paying attention or it thinks you are drowsy. Not a problem for Tesla.

Originally the UK was going to adopt the “General Safety Regulation”, even after Brexit, but they changed their mind and we’re going to decide for themselves which of the regulations they were going to adopt, but I’m not sure that they have yet.

As suppliers start to bring it in for the EU, I’d expect that some will bring it to the UK for economies of scale.

Apparently you can turn it off, but it switches on automatically at the start of a journey.

ISA will be a requirement for EU Tesla’s from July 2024 and earlier for possible new models like the Cybertruck. I’d expect that before then they start trying it out on their crash test dummies, otherwise known as current Tesla owners.

Brexit is irrelevent as it's a UNECE rule which is automatically adopted into UK law anyway (subject to review as ever, but we rarely do).

It's not a speed limiter in the sense lorries have it, more haptic feedback on the speed pedal or (under pressure from car manufacturers presumably, as it wasn't in the original specifications) audible warning. There's even a whole paragraph on how it isn't a speed cap because the driver may need to accelerate out of danger, also noting that speed limit detection isn't always accurate (there's a separate project to provide an accurate speed database for the whole of europe, but who know when that'll be complete if ever..). Tesla really doesn't need to do much if anything.

There are already a bunch of shipping cars with ISA.. although I couldn't point to specific modes.. a quick google says "Citroen, Ford, Honda, Jaguar, Peugeot, Renault and Volvo"

Last edited:
Reactions: Dilly
Sorry if this has been mentioned already - but my daily charge “recommendation” is now set to 80% rather than 90.

Anyone sticking to this?

I think most people would already be aiming to work within 20% - 80% if wanting to optimise long term battery health. This doesn't mean you can't go higher, even on a daily basis, if your needs dictate that requirement.

No doubt this change has been informed by many years of collected data on battery degradation. Tesla knows the charging patterns of millions of cars by now. They also know the reported battery capacity of each car. You can do something similar yourself ... using Tessie or Teslafi will enable you to compare your own degradation against the "fleet" of similar spec cars.

Reactions: bainsy
I think most people would already be aiming to work within 20% - 80% if wanting to optimise long term battery health. This doesn't mean you can't go higher, even on a daily basis, if your needs dictate that requirement.

No doubt this change has been informed by many years of collected data on battery degradation. Tesla knows the charging patterns of millions of cars by now. They also know the reported battery capacity of each car. You can do something similar yourself ... using Tessie or Teslafi will enable you to compare your own degradation against the "fleet" of similar spec cars.
When I picked my M3P up from West Drayton four years ago we had the then standard pre-pick up presentation from the staff. They stressed very strongly that Tesla recommend charging up to 90% on a daily basis. I get your point about Tesla learning from collected data, but if they’ve now realised that charging to 90% is less than ideal then it’s a bit late for me after four years and 80k miles. Might as well leave it at 90% and continue to knacker my battery.

When I picked my M3P up from West Drayton four years ago we had the then standard pre-pick up presentation from the staff. They stressed very strongly that Tesla recommend charging up to 90% on a daily basis. I get your point about Tesla learning from collected data, but if they’ve now realised that charging to 90% is less than ideal then it’s a bit late for me after four years and 80k miles. Might as well leave it at 90% and continue to knacker my battery.
90% won’t knacker your battery. However if Teslas stats suggest that the optimum is 80% or less then it’s surely right that they share that advice.

I regularly charged to 90% over the first year or so but I then picked up from multiple independent sources that though this doesn’t damage the battery it is generally a good idea to keep lithium ion batteries within a mid range of percentage… so I changed to lower levels unless going on a longer trip. I am happy to go to 100% but for me it’s a rare requirement though does seem to help the BMS represent the capacity more accurately.

Nowadays 75% of my smaller SR+ battery is more than enough for daily use as I routinely leave the car plugged in rather than operating ICE style… ie filling the tank and only refilling up to full when low. Tessie reports that my capacity is holding up consistently better than the fleet average for cars at the same mileage.