Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[uk] UltraSonic Sensors removal/TV replacement performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Someone needs to post a video of what the solution looks like in a car without USS before I believe this Green post. So far, I see nothing else out in the ether other than references to this single post… Considering EM just bought Twitter, one had to wonder if this isn’t one of the engineers he’s brought over! Great tactic to stop the cancellations that seem to be resulting in a demand problem here in Switzerland… They are now giving out free winter tires if you take delivery by the end of the year.

Someone needs to post a video of what the solution looks like in a car without USS before I believe this Green post. So far, I see nothing else out in the ether other than references to this single post… Considering EM just bought Twitter, one had to wonder if this isn’t one of the engineers he’s brought over! Great tactic to stop the cancellations that seem to be resulting in a demand problem here in Switzerland… They are now giving out free winter tires if you take delivery by the end of the year.
Agreed, although given the combination of only a few cars so far delievred without USS and the release only just starting to roll, it may be a while before we see it.

Reactions: Chimpy McChimp
Green is not a Tesla/Twitter engineer, he is an independent hacker.
Great. Nice for him. Until we see a demo from a car that does not have USS, this info is not credible. People are posting and reposting this tweet everywhere. There’s even a guy on the German forum who has made a video after he updated. He references the tweet by Green while showing his own screen in his own car that has USS sensors, so not the same as a demo in a non-USS car.

Great. Nice for him. Until we see a demo from a car that does not have USS, this info is not credible.

@verygreen is @VeryCredible

You only have to go back through their past posts/tweets to see what they have access to. What does need a bit of caution is any prediction of how what they see will manifest IRL and inferences that others make on the information.

But if they say the code/feature is there, it's there, just when/if it will be future enabled is the unknown and either speculation or an educated guess.

@verygreen is @VeryCredible

You only have to go back through their past posts/tweets to see what they have access to. What does need a bit of caution is any prediction of how what they see will manifest IRL and inferences that others make on the information.

But if they say the code/feature is there, it's there, just when/if it will be future enabled is the unknown and either speculation or an educated guess.
It is great to know that code is there. What is infuriating is that people who have not seen the code "in action" are saying that there is a fix for the removal of USS. We do not know that yet, however. And to your point, even if the code results in a good "fix", we have ZERO idea when it will be implemented in our cars without USS. So still a *sugar* show waiting to find out if one should take delivery of a car without USS and without new hardware or simply hold out. Had I know buying a f&çking car would be so stressful, I do not think I or many others would have decided for this.

It is great to know that code is there. What is infuriating is that people who have not seen the code "in action" are saying that there is a fix for the removal of USS. We do not know that yet, however. And to your point, even if the code results in a good "fix", we have ZERO idea when it will be implemented in our cars without USS. So still a *sugar* show waiting to find out if one should take delivery of a car without USS and without new hardware or simply hold out. Had I know buying a f&çking car would be so stressful, I do not think I or many others would have decided for this.
Well, USS are not coming back ever. So holding out won't do any good. You have a grand total of 2 options:
1) You can refuse delivery and order elsewhere
2) Accept the car and hope for the best through future software updates. Will it happen one day? Maybe. Will it take time? Surely.

But agreed you can't really be happy about this...

To me there is a real case of adding EAP/FSD on those cars, as the removal of USS are crippling the advertised functionality, you're most likely on track for a free retrofit / later rejection of the car on the basis that it is not fit for intended purpose if later softwares updates can't bring them on par with USS models .

I think this sums it up for me, and given my rear camera vision was so obscured by dirt/rain yesterday that I had trouble knowing whether I still had a garage, let alone how far away it was, the last point could be quite pertinent

Untitled.png

Well, USS are not coming back ever. So holding out won't do any good. You have a grand total of 2 options:
1) You can refuse delivery and order elsewhere
2) Accept the car and hope for the best through future software updates. Will it happen one day? Maybe. Will it take time? Surely.

But agreed you can't really be happy about this...

To me there is a real case of adding EAP/FSD on those cars, as the removal of USS are crippling the advertised functionality, you're most likely on track for a free retrofit / later rejection of the car on the basis that it is not fit for intended purpose if later softwares updates can't bring them on par with USS models .
In the UK certainly people with new orders are being required to confirm they accept the situation with USS before they are allowed to proceed to payment. I can't see how anyone would have any case against Tesla. It would also seem very unlikely that a retrofit was at all possible, the wiring harness will have been updated and the bumpers don't have holes.

Reactions: JupiterMan
The stressful experience has just began. My last two years of ownership has been the most involved of any other car I had. Constantly worrying what other crazy idea they will push on the product you own. BTW, their service record (in case you have an issue) is not very good either.
If you are not willing to participate in the beta testing of Elon’s ideas I would suggest you look at other EV brands. Unfortunately, Tesla’s amazing drivetrain is compromised by their AI/software attempts.

In the UK certainly people with new orders are being required to confirm they accept the situation with USS before they are allowed to proceed to payment. I can't see how anyone would have any case against Tesla. It would also seem very unlikely that a retrofit was at all possible, the wiring harness will have been updated and the bumpers don't have holes.
Well my view is even if they ask you to acknowledge that you won’t have USS you have still paid for EAP/FSD which entitles you to Autopark/Summon etc…
If it turns out vision-only is not able to restore those features, Tesla will have to find a way to give you those functionalities you paid for. Either through a complicated retrofit of USS at their expense, or through a different method.

I can’t see a court of law giving priority to a last-minute waiver Tesla makes you e-sign on a forecourt over the advertised features you paid extra-money for and do not exist in your car due to a unilateral technical change at the 11th hour on their part…

Last edited:
Reactions: H43lio
The stressful experience has just began. My last two years of ownership has been the most involved of any other car I had. Constantly worrying what other crazy idea they will push on the product you own. BTW, their service record (in case you have an issue) is not very good either.
If you are not willing to participate in the beta testing of Elon’s ideas I would suggest you look at other EV brands. Unfortunately, Tesla’s amazing drivetrain is compromised by their AI/software attempts.
You do get asked whether you want to perform an update, perhaps you should update less frequently and only once you have let other people report any changes/issues so you can make an informed decision as to whether you want the changes. Almost every other car has no updates once it has left the factory, so Tesla are a bit of a disruptor to apply the approach you see with your mobile phone and computer. Whether that is a good or bad thing is dependent on your expectations and usage of your car.

Reactions: CWT3LR and KennethS
Why go through the hassle of you could simply refuse delivery and get another brand?!
Because I've been waiting for half a year for this car and need a new car soon. If I'd known that they were going to remove USS with no replacement prior to (or shortly after) ordering, I would have cancelled then and got on the wait list for another car.

I'm still hopeful, but right now it's looking like my next car after this upcoming Tesla will be from another brand.

As much as I think it's is a terrible, premature decision to ditch USS I would agree that @GRiLLA that since you're prompted about whether to accept the car with this reconfiguration or not I don't think you'd have a valid legal claim, even if you had purchased EAP/FSD. No one is being forced to buy the cars.

If they had delivered the cars to people without telling them, or giving them the option to cancel, it would be a different story, as would withholding the deposit on a negatively altered configuration (they can't do this anyway and do give refunds but irritatingly it does require informing them of your statutory rights).

Reactions: candida
As much as I think it's is a terrible, premature decision to ditch USS I would agree that @GRiLLA that since you're prompted about whether to accept the car with this reconfiguration or not I don't think you'd have a valid legal claim, even if you had purchased EAP/FSD. No one is being forced to buy the cars.

If they had delivered the cars to people without telling them, or giving them the option to cancel, it would be a different story, as would withholding the deposit on a negatively altered configuration (they can't do this anyway and do give refunds but irritatingly it does require informing them of your statutory rights).
Say you order a kettle. Then on delivery day the salesman makes you sign a waiver saying that this new kettle is missing the part that will boil the water, because the manufacturer thought at the last minute of a great new process for heating water without boiling it. Only it will be released on a future TBA OTA SW update.
You've just accepted delivery of a kettle that doesn't boil water, but with the expectation that in a decent timeframe, it will achieve the same result eventually.
If that doesn't happen soon enough, I'm pretty confident I can defend that claim in court.

Not sure. The prompt in no ways informs you how the car will be different to the one you both test drove and ordered. The choice you make is completely blind, and involves you having faith that the experience will be equal at some point in the future.

Its not as if i can go to a dealer and try out the amended specification and work this out for myself. I know lots have said never buy a car on the promise of an update, but i think this situation is even more unique. It receiving the car on the promise it will have a feature that existed when you tried it and purchased it. Heck, the feature 'existed' 2 weeks ago.