Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[uk] UltraSonic Sensors removal/TV replacement performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After driving the vehicle over 500 miles it’s like safety sensors ere thawing out. Now the car sees people directly in front of it or when stopped it directs those on the side of the road. Other safety features are coming up slowly and surprisingly as I drive. I’m guessing the cameras need time to calibrate and adjust. Which must open more features as they do.

Tesla is touted as a car company that makes your car better over time as it downloads updates to improve the software.

What they don't tell you is that they make the hardware worse over time, or even non-functional. Over time the car is measurably worse. Switching off functionality I have already paid for is starting to feel like fraud.

As an owner approaching 80,000 miles - more than 5 years, lots of updates, warranty work and now we are in out-of-warranty land, the cost of replacement works etc. my world view of Tesla is understandably relatively dour.

Firstly the need to separate the fiction from the fact. Difficult sometimes as that is deliberately woven into the mystique of the brand. That time now has pretty much passed as Tesla has become mainstream and the mainstream products aren’t as quirky or rare as the earlier products which have them the mystique…fiction is now fairly and squarely exposed. Every successive *real* product is now less wow and more well hmmmm

The ‘facts’ that remain aren’t particularly glam and when compared to the rapidly advancing competitors, are often glaringly inadequate - it’s the day to day stuff: ever dumber EAP, poor wipers, poor headlights, middle of the road paint, fit and finish. Cheap ancillaries that fail far more rapidly than expected (I’ve a personal list as long as my arm) and often more than once.

Tesla is a disruptive software company in the shell of a new car company - literally and figuratively. That’s always been it’s USP but I fear will also be what haunts it. They were always arrogant but now they are increasingly complacent.

Some things they’ve executed masterfully - battery management, packaging, and mass scale DC charging tech and operation are probably top of the list.

The implementation and delivery of others, like FSD and even the cooking versions of EAP are pretty embarrassing now.

As for building deeply involving, enjoyable, intuitive drivers cars. Unfortunately it’s mostly again only software deep with Tesla. The focus isn’t there and probably never was. They are after all software people. Not “car” people.

need to separate the fiction from the fact.

Isn't that the hardest thing of all? Especially when 'facts' can vary based on location and status.

Had an example that touched on that.

Generally, when a post starts "I talked to Tesla tech who said.... blah blah... ' I roll eyes with only moderate hope of any enlightenment (but usually read on anyway).

Today, after over a week ofter subscribing waiting for premium connectivity to show up in the car, I was off on a long trip and needed a solution. App shows paid and active. On Software MCU screen, shows same with expiry date a few weeks away. But in media screen, shows Premium expired. Reboots (2 & 3) made no difference.

On hold to Tesla for hours, but eventually at least the agent could see a problem. I said straight up I didn't want to install the pending update. 20.8 is good for me! Agent identified multiple attempts to update car, all failing at the gateway.

So the point is: While chatting to agent (remember this is UK here) he says they are currently inundated with new UK M3 / MY owners wanting VO / TV solution. Agent stated that VO is not active on any UK software at the moment.

So, what could make that statement true? Do (some) UK cars not have following distance and speed limit restrictions for tacc etc? We have radarless cars in UK don't we? Can tacc and aeb still work without radar and without TV / VO? I understood that non-radar cars (including some in the UK) must be running VO, but now I'm wondering if that is a proven fact, or just a reasonable assumption?

The agent was trying to tell me that a likely fix for my Premium Connectivity issue was to let the latest software install. May be 20.8 / 20.9 was the switch over point for radar in some markets, but not the UK? But both code versions still co-exist?

Fact / fiction. Who knows?

products aren’t as quirky or rare as the earlier products which have them the mystique

Yes. Stuff just needs to work now.

In the end, just as I plugged in at a supercharger the car did a full reset that I did not initiate. Had me worried for a while. Any ways, shortly after the reboot, traffic info appeared and it appears premium is now fully active after a couple of weeks in limbo. Thankfully same software update still pending.

The same agent also stated they (Tesla) are unable to force software updates from their end. Another claim I feel is contradicted by some reasonable sounding posts on Tmc... although not many.

Last edited:
So for my Tesla service adventures today....

Off to Dartford to collect the car after (1) windscreen replacement (2) frunk release actuator & latch replacement (3) 'Upper grille bright trim' replaced as the 'chrome' was delaminating inside the 'v'

1. Windscreen replacement - all good. Lets move on.

2. Pop the bonnet (hood for our NA cousins). Excellent. It's working again, and we can get inside the frunk and even top up the windscreen washer tank. What a novelty! First time its been openable in more than a month. Result! They've topped off the windscreen washer reservoir. Great! Oh but then they've not replaced the cap properly. Good thing I checked before it sloshed out everywhere. OK bit sloppy...

3. Have a look at the new chrome trim piece. The original one shouldn't have delaminated its chrome, but it did, so hey it is what it is. Pay them £177.76 and it should be perfect. Oh no. Its not. It's scratched as they put it back in place, looks like by the bottom of the Tesla 'T' on the grille with its sharp pointed base. Noticed now that the chrome in that also has a bubble....Double sloppy. Had a look at a few more X's dotted around the car park. Any scratched like this? No. Should I put up with this? Definitely not, having paid for a new one etc.

So yep, we're booked back in again in a week or so to get it it replaced again. Lets hope the trains aren't on strike again.

Moral of the diatribe: always double check your repairs before you move out of the SC...and breathe 😎

Off to Dartford to collect the car after (1) windscreen replacement (2) frunk release actuator & latch replacement (3) 'Upper grille bright trim' replaced as the 'chrome' was delaminating inside the 'v'

2. Pop the bonnet (hood for our NA cousins). Excellent. It's working again, and we can get inside the frunk and even top up the windscreen washer tank. What a novelty! First time its been openable in more than a month. Result! They've topped off the windscreen washer reservoir. Great! Oh but then they've not replaced the cap properly. Good thing I checked before it sloshed out everywhere. OK bit sloppy...

3. Have a look at the new chrome trim piece. The original one shouldn't have delaminated its chrome, but it did, so hey it is what it is. Pay them £177.76 and it should be perfect. Oh no. Its not. It's scratched as they put it back in place, looks like by the bottom of the Tesla 'T' on the grille with its sharp pointed base. Noticed now that the chrome in that also has a bubble....Double sloppy. Had a look at a few more X's dotted around the car park. Any scratched like this? No. Should I put up with this? Definitely not, having paid for a new one etc.

So yep, we're booked back in again in a week or so to get it it replaced again. Lets hope the trains aren't on strike again.

Moral of the diatribe: always double check your repairs before you move out of the SC...and breathe 😎
Lol... I was charging at Dartford today on way to France.

@boombap, I'm intrigued to find out what you disagree with in my post above, since most is just reporting what happened to me, and asking how what Tesla's agent told me fits in with the experience of other owners. Are you disagreeing with something I'm saying or something the Tesla agent told me?

Isn't that the hardest thing of all? Especially when 'facts' can vary based on location and status.

Had an example that touched on that.

Generally, when a post starts "I talked to Tesla tech who said.... blah blah... ' I roll eyes with only moderate hope of any enlightenment (but usually read on anyway).

Today, after over a week ofter subscribing waiting for premium connectivity to show up in the car, I was off on a long trip and needed a solution. App shows paid and active. On Software MCU screen, shows same with expiry date a few weeks away. But in media screen, shows Premium expired. Reboots (2 & 3) made no difference.

On hold to Tesla for hours, but eventually at least the agent could see a problem. I said straight up I didn't want to install the pending update. 20.8 is good for me! Agent identified multiple attempts to update car, all failing at the gateway.

So the point is: While chatting to agent (remember this is UK here) he says they are currently inundated with new UK M3 / MY owners wanting VO / TV solution. Agent stated that VO is not active on any UK software at the moment.

So, what could make that statement true? Do (some) UK cars not have following distance and speed limit restrictions for tacc etc? We have radarless cars in UK don't we? Can tacc and aeb still work without radar and without TV / VO? I understood that non-radar cars (including some in the UK) must be running VO, but now I'm wondering if that is a proven fact, or just a reasonable assumption?

The agent was trying to tell me that a likely fix for my Premium Connectivity issue was to let the latest software install. May be 20.8 / 20.9 was the switch over point for radar in some markets, but not the UK? But both code versions still co-exist?

Fact / fiction. Who knows?

Yes. Stuff just needs to work now.

In the end, just as I plugged in at a supercharger the car did a full reset that I did not initiate. Had me worried for a while. Any ways, shortly after the reboot, traffic info appeared and it appears premium is now fully active after a couple of weeks in limbo. Thankfully same software update still pending.

The same agent also stated they (Tesla) are unable to force software updates from their end. Another claim I feel is contradicted by some reasonable sounding posts on Tmc... although not many.

Tesla agents often somehow have less accurate information than us who just follow the news online. But giving him the benefit of the doubt, he probably just means that no software has the Vision replacement for USS yet, which is true because it doesn't exist. Any car with software after radar was disabled is using Vision only for TACC, etc. No software uses neither radar nor the cameras! How would that work?

Tesla agents often somehow have less accurate information than us who just follow the news online. But giving him the benefit of the doubt, he probably just means that no software has the Vision replacement for USS yet, which is true because it doesn't exist. Any car with software after radar was disabled is using Vision only for TACC, etc. No software uses neither radar nor the cameras! How would that work?

That's about the best I can come up with. In the 'fact or fiction' discussion, it is a problem that Tesla agents never seem to know (or at least acknowledge) even the most obviously true observations documented by owners.

That's about the best I can come up with. In the 'fact or fiction' discussion, it is a problem that Tesla agents never seem to know (or at least acknowledge) even the most obviously true observations documented by owners.
Sales are frontline - they are the ones who should have all the info on what is going on with the products they are selling. With the top adminds in Tesla having a "we do not comment" attitude (Norway execs ALWAYS answer this when asked questions by the media) they are undermining their own staff, and it is the staff how takes the heat, not the execs.

Reactions: Boza and LiamPope

Frustrating!

Could they not come and replace the chrome bits at your house with a ranger, save you the further hassle of going back?

Reactions: H43lio and Adopado
Sales are frontline - they are the ones who should have all the info on what is going on with the products they are selling. With the top adminds in Tesla having a "we do not comment" attitude (Norway execs ALWAYS answer this when asked questions by the media) they are undermining their own staff, and it is the staff how takes the heat, not the execs.

I found it quite amazing my Stavanger agent even answered wrong about the new weight tax in Norway! This must surely be the hottest topic for car sales right now, so you would think they had good training!? He told me I would not have to pay weight tax since my M3 RWD order is below 500knok. I politely informed him he must be thinking of VAT, which only applies after 500k, while weight tax applies to all cars, so could be doublecheck and clarify. No response so far! They were very fast answering all my questions before I placed an order, but after I had ordered I more often get no response and have to chase up, like they don't care cos I already bought one. This is one more reason why I am looking on Finn considering a 2021/22 used car instead - screw them!

Reactions: H43lio
Frustrating!

Could they not come and replace the chrome bits at your house with a ranger, save you the further hassle of going back?
Actually have now asked them to also replace the “T” badge as under scrutiny that shows signs of bubbling in the chrome plating. Also I suspect the base of that which is rather err knife like, was the root cause of scratching the replacement top chrome trim element. The “T” should really should have been removed / replaced beforehand to avoid gouging the replacement top chromed element. Schoolboy stuff, A before B. But let’s see if we can get away with it if the customer doesn’t give a toss.

Have requested if this can be done by a mobile tech. See what they say. Dartford is a pain to get to/from without a courtesy car. Haven’t been offered one of those in years…!

@boombap, I'm intrigued to find out what you disagree with in my post above, since most is just reporting what happened to me, and asking how what Tesla's agent told me fits in with the experience of other owners. Are you disagreeing with something I'm saying or something the Tesla agent told me?
no worries, he is new here, still in rose tinted glasses during his honey moon period with the car, therefore the fanboiest of them all.

he might change in time ;))