Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[uk] UltraSonic Sensors removal/TV replacement performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yup, a lot of what happens can be explained as a control loop. Where resulting actions tend to eliminate negative feedback (error input). For instance, input from your eye shows an error as the car deviates from center of the lane. The resulting action is when you turn the wheel to return to the center of the lane thus eliminating the error.

$100million savings a year.
On a revenue of $59 billion (2021). That’s 0.17%, or the equivalent of someone earning 50k saving ~85 a year.

I really don’t think the conspiracy case that this about cost saving adds up.

Tesla generating this much ill will for such a small revenue saving would be like that person on 50k stopping buying toiletries and deciding to stink all year to save the 85. If their financial results come out and show that they’re in a difficult place maybe I’ll rethink but with the margins they already have I do not see this as a business decision anyone would realistically take.

On a revenue of $59 billion (2021). That’s 0.17%, or the equivalent of someone earning 50k saving ~85 a year.

Tesla generating this much ill will for such a small revenue saving would be like that person on 50k stopping buying toiletries and deciding to stink all year to save the 85. If their financial results come out and show that they’re in a difficult place maybe I’ll rethink but with the margins they already have I do not see this as a business decision anyone would realistically take.

And Tesla wouldn't be buying them at £6.99 either. But yes, i agree with your analogy. I could save £xxx buy stopping buying toothpaste, or deciding bog roll isn't needed anymore. This is nothing to do with cost savings at all.

Reactions: Mullermn
There is a strong argument for micromanaging savings..a few pennies on USS, one or two fewer plastic Christmas tree fixings, thinner soundproofing and the like can all add up..
For the human analogy . well I take a thermos rather than buy coffee, fill a bottle with water rather than buy, carry sarnies on trips, cut my own hair, only buy one brand and colour of socks so only have to throw half a pair out if gets a hole etc I won't bore with the rest of my list but it really does add up.

There is a strong argument for micromanaging savings..a few pennies on USS, one or two fewer plastic Christmas tree fixings, thinner soundproofing and the like can all add up..
For the human analogy . well I take a thermos rather than buy coffee, fill a bottle with water rather than buy, carry sarnies on trips, cut my own hair, only buy one brand and colour of socks so only have to throw half a pair out if gets a hole etc I won't bore with the rest of my list but it really does add up.
But, again, those are all changes in process to achieve the same end result. You still have coffee, you still eat on your trips, your hair is still cut.
Removing the USS to be replaced with nothing (at the moment) would be you being coffeeless (inhumane, I know!), hungry and looking like a yeti on a promise that you'll get it all sorted "at some point in the future".

I know! Ridiculous! There will be rumours next that they want to eliminate stalks to save a similar amount!

Great analogy by the way, about someone stinking all year to save a trvial amount. I recall one of those ludicrous penny pinching CEOs in a California tech company that he bought for >$40bn sacking all the cleaners and refusing to pay for bog roll. Noone in their right mind would do such a thing.

I know! Ridiculous! There will be rumours next that they want to eliminate stalks to save a similar amount!

Great analogy by the way, about someone stinking all year to save a trvial amount. I recall one of those ludicrous penny pinching CEOs in a California tech company that he bought for >$40bn sacking all the cleaners and refusing to pay for bog roll. Noone in their right mind would do such a thing.
The latest price drops are savings from USS elimination passed on to the consumer 🤪

• Funny
Reactions: CWT3LR

But realistically you dont really stop buying the toiletries though. Instead you look at alternatives in the same way that we dont stop using the mobile phone, electricity, gas, insurance etc. Personally, I dont agree with the removal of stalks in favour of buttons or the removal of uss and when the time comes to buy another car I will again buy what fits best for me (it does not need to be a tesla).

Now...There are beggars out there earning well above minimum wage if they pick the right spot...and they take contactless 🤔

Don’t think people noticed a missing olive nearly as much as missing USS…. One has a much bigger material impact than the other…
Absolutely true, but it’s the impact of the missing olive that matters most, at least to us martini drinkers. Truly a horrifying decision on the part of AA management, and I’ve boycotted them since. Major slap in the face I say! Removing USS only impacts convenience and likely some level of vehicular safety. Removing an olive dampens an entire flight experience throughout its duration and bitter aftertaste (heh, heh, see what I did there?).

Absolut unconscionable (oops, I did it again).

Range numbers are a myth in the same way mpg numbers are a myth for conventional cars. I suspect regular punters will be aware of the former as they are with the latter
I think the thing is that on ICE cars the fuel tanks are big enough that it's merely an extra cost issue from lower mpg vs having to fill up too often. EV's will solve this range issue once they get more dense batteries that even if they are quite out, the real world range will still be plenty. I don't think real-world ranges in the 100 - 200 mile are acceptable unless you want a little city run around. That's a range you might be hitting in some Tesla's for instance in the winter and more so in other brands of EV's. Similarly I don't think 200 - 300 is probably good enough. 300 - 400 is fine, 400 - 500 per charge is probably getting towards average ICE cars at a guess.

They can argue you need to stop and stretch your legs, go to the toilet or grab a bite to eat and charge during those times but going to the toilet, stretching your legs isn't going to take EV charging times. You could grab a sandwich and that ain't gone take as long and your forced to also stop somewhere that does have EV charging. I can get 600 miles out of a tank on my ICE, generally if I fill up at start of the journey there's little I ever do that I'd ever need to fill it up on a trip. Can stop anywhere I want, when I feel I need to stop and not the car.

This will come to EV's I suspect, just going to take a while for the battery tech to get there and be cheap enough also.

Reactions: Boza and candida
I think the thing is that on ICE cars the fuel tanks are big enough that it's merely an extra cost issue from lower mpg vs having to fill up too often. EV's will solve this range issue once they get more dense batteries that even if they are quite out, the real world range will still be plenty. I don't think real-world ranges in the 100 - 200 mile are acceptable unless you want a little city run around. That's a range you might be hitting in some Tesla's for instance in the winter and more so in other brands of EV's. Similarly I don't think 200 - 300 is probably good enough. 300 - 400 is fine, 400 - 500 per charge is probably getting towards average ICE cars at a guess.

They can argue you need to stop and stretch your legs, go to the toilet or grab a bite to eat and charge during those times but going to the toilet, stretching your legs isn't going to take EV charging times. You could grab a sandwich and that ain't gone take as long and your forced to also stop somewhere that does have EV charging. I can get 600 miles out of a tank on my ICE, generally if I fill up at start of the journey there's little I ever do that I'd ever need to fill it up on a trip. Can stop anywhere I want, when I feel I need to stop and not the car.

This will come to EV's I suspect, just going to take a while for the battery tech to get there and be cheap enough also.
200-225 miles I need to pee anyway.
Next question