Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[uk] UltraSonic Sensors removal/TV replacement performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've not seen any footage yet but I'm guessing it will give you a park assist unavailable error or something.
Rear camera dirty seems like it could be a fairly common failure mode on the current cars. The Y seems to suck a vortex of crap in behind it and gets a dirty ass very quickly. Personally I have very rarely found it to get dirty enough that it's no use for human parking via the camera, but it remains to be seen if the distance measurement functionality is so tolerant.

Reactions: Drew57
Not my experience at all. For nearly five years my USS has been spot on, every time. In an early anal exercise, I measured the physical distance from the bumper to the garage wall at a point when the USS indicators said “STOP,” supposedly at 12 inches. Ruler verified 12 inches. Similarly, the diagonal distance to an angled wall: again almost exactly 12 inches. Pretty happy with my USS, its operation, and its accuracy.

Maybe I don't wash the car frequently enough ;)

Yep I agree, in the 4 months of ownership I've never had the rear camera dirty enough that I couldn't use it, but I also religiously wash the car every weekend. Suppose it will be interesting to see if those lighter specs of dirt will affect the accuracy.

I guess my question would be, under the assumption that the cameras are not actively measuring when parked with no occupants, how will objects be handled that weren’t there when the vehicle was parked. we get some pretty high winds in my area, and there have been many times where a small object, like a trash can, blew over in front of the car just out of camera view. The wind also has knocked out the power and several objects which are hard to “see” in those dark, foggy conditions, would be on the ground. i can’t imagine how camera based vision could replace uss in those situations.

I guess my question would be, under the assumption that the cameras are not actively measuring when parked with no occupants, how will objects be handled that weren’t there when the vehicle was parked. we get some pretty high winds in my area, and there have been many times where a small object, like a trash can, blew over in front of the car just out of camera view. The wind also has knocked out the power and several objects which are hard to “see” in those dark, foggy conditions, would be on the ground. i can’t imagine how camera based vision could replace uss in those situations.
To give a more sensible answer to a legit question, if an item genuinely appears in the blind spot while parked like your wind debris example then that's going to align with a weakness in this system (with the current hardware placements at least) and unfortunately there's not going to be a way around that. The car can't do anything with information it doesn't have.

At this point we just need to be realistic that any of these systems have flaws, we're just used to working around the flaws in the incumbent system so don't notice them. USS, for example, can't see kerbs or items below a certain height, overreacts to puddles and foliage and (on Teslas, as I understand it) are not present along the sides of the car so can't do anything to warn you about objects there.

The only collision I've had while parking was on a car with USS when an unusually shaped tree trunk leaned in towards the parking space at a height above the sensors. A vision based system would have spotted it..

To give a more sensible answer to a legit question, if an item genuinely appears in the blind spot while parked like your wind debris example then that's going to align with a weakness in this system (with the current hardware placements at least) and unfortunately there's not going to be a way around that. The car can't do anything with information it doesn't have.

At this point we just need to be realistic that any of these systems have flaws, we're just used to working around the flaws in the incumbent system so don't notice them. USS, for example, can't see kerbs or items below a certain height, overreacts to puddles and foliage and (on Teslas, as I understand it) are not present along the sides of the car so can't do anything to warn you about objects there.

The only collision I've had while parking was on a car with USS when an unusually shaped tree trunk leaned in towards the parking space at a height above the sensors. A vision based system would have spotted it..
Sounds like the best answer would be to have had both USS and vision active simultaneously instead of the removal and replacement of the sensor. I feel like they couldn’t have gone wrong with more data to make decisions.

Reactions: MrBadger
Sounds like the best answer would be to have had both USS and vision active simultaneously instead of the removal and replacement of the sensor. I feel like they couldn’t have gone wrong with more data to make decisions.
There will be a lot of people who agree with you. Unfortunately this seems to run counter to Tesla's philosophy which is for aggressive simplification of both the car and the process for building it. They don't like redundant hardware and they're fully committed to having an AI-based, camera-driven model of the world that the car can use for any functions that need it to understand the world around it.

I don't know about other people but I even take the USS "advice" with a pinch of salt depending on the situation. I've known them beep frantically when I know it's clear and I've known them occasionally be a bit tardy in giving their distances. Similarly I've had a human directing me from outside my mini-bus years ago and he carefully guided me into a ditch! I don't expect any system to be infallible but hopefully this new alternative can be at least as good as what people are used to.
Fully agree, but just anticipating the criticism :)

If I relied fully on the USS park assist I'd have never been able to use the car lift at work, it was screaming at me most of the time I was reversing into it!

Until UK folk on here have it and give (hopefully unbiased) reviews I'm going to reserve judgement.

It's a net positive that USS-less cars will now have something, as we're 6 months in where those people haven't. So, in that respect - this is good news.

I would like to hope that the measurements/beeps are consistent and reliable enough for people to be able to use when parking. I've only skimmed a few of the videos and it seems that it craps out if it isn't sure, giving a "Parking assist unavailable" message. This is a good thing in my opinion because it means people have to resort to using their spatial awareness - which honestly we should all be doing anyway.