Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[uk] UltraSonic Sensors removal/TV replacement performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
USS’s are pretty accurate in my experience. Certainly much more reliable than what I’m seeing in these TV version videos.

Seeing low curbs is a major advantage, but that seems to be the only improvement over the sensors.

Overall it’s a pretty poor implementation. No doubt it’ll improve; plenty of doubt it will reach parity.

Reactions: SalisburySam
Just dropped
Screenshot_20230327-224733_Tesla.jpg
Screenshot_20230327-225001_Tesla.jpg

Well, so far it has worked - kerbs (& other cars beside you when waiting in queues) dance around and wiggle with the yellow/red lines we used to have with USS but the shape is continually changing. Even when parking up against a flat surface like a wall, the lines are wavy and curve away round the side, from red to yellow.

It does detect kerbs and show the yellow-red lines when driving as the car gets close which may or may not prove useful. Time will tell.

Distance measurements and audible warnings happen when moving close to obstructions but they do seem to be quite cautious. I can move much closer to a car or wall etc in front even after the line becomes red and the audible warning suggests stopping.

It appears that Tesla think that everyone in the UK uses imperial units for distance! I’ve set my region format to Ireland which has changed the distance reading to cm.

Any better way of doing that, and are there any consequences to doing that I’ve not thought of?

Reactions: H43lio
It appears that Tesla think that everyone in the UK uses imperial units for distance! I’ve set my region format to Ireland which has changed the distance reading to cm.

Any better way of doing that, and are there any consequences to doing that I’ve not thought of?
presumably the range will change to Kilometers from Miles and the Satnav will show KM as well

Reactions: Mullermn
2023.6.9 brings "park assist" - no it's not autopark, but the long awaited replacement for ultrasonic sensors removal.

Currently installing on wife's M3RWD (no USS) but no update available on mine (has USS).

Thought a place away from the general USS removal thread would be good to discuss its function, rather than reasons for removal / forming legal action, so please keep it objective 😉

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230328-102148.png
    Screenshot_20230328-102148.png
    285.5 KB · Views: 79
My initial review is that it’s definitely better than nothing, it is in a useful state (it’s not just a ‘technology preview’) and it feels like there’s potential there for it to be a lot more sophisticated than just giving dumb distance readings.

That said I think it could benefit from further refinement as at the moment it seems to lean heavily on the safe side to the extent that I wouldn’t say I really need the distance indicator in the places where it’s providing one, because I can judge that size gap myself. Once to get close it just panics and tells you to stop (this was also generally true of USS).

I’m fairly happy since the main thing I need in parking assistance is not ‘you have 2.5 cm left’ but more ‘watch out for that thing you haven’t even noticed yet and are about to swing in to’ and it seems to do that. And kerb detection might be the thing that finally gets me to call off the fatwa I put on the guy who came up with the idea of alloy wheels.

2023.6.9 brings "park assist" - no it's not autopark, but the long awaited replacement for ultrasonic sensors removal.

Currently installing on wife's M3RWD (no USS) but no update available on mine (has USS).

Thought a place away from the general USS removal thread would be good to discuss its function, rather than reasons for removal / forming legal action, so please keep it objective 😉
Are you based in the UK still waiting for that update the sooner the better