Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[uk] UltraSonic Sensors removal/TV replacement performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I suspect the biggest con is that they don't have USS on their car
All I see you do is moan, honestly. Cheer up!

If you hate the car that much, get another one as you’re clearly not happy with the current state of affairs

Their’s certainly cons for USS - my old Audi A4 (60 plate) was constantly beeping at nothing, beeping a mile away from objects, not to mention most cars have their USS low down in the bumper and is pretty much useless if you’re reversing where an object is sticking out from above. so yes - USS definitely has cons.

Had some better experience today (no rain) so it was a lot better along the roads, reversing etc.

I wonder if the AI algorithm now gets involved with data collected. Although the wipers are still problematic (too often now!)

If you hate the car that much, get another one as you’re clearly not happy with the current state of affairs
Both my Teslas have USS so I'm all good.

I don't get why some people get so upset, it's not me saying it's not very good. I just post up videos of others using it - don't shoot the messenger.

useless if you’re reversing where an object is sticking out from above. so yes - USS definitely has cons.
Great theory. Of course, had you watched that RSymons video I posted, you'll see that in that scenario vision does even worse. Go figure.

Reactions: H43lio
Yeah. Agreed. It's almost as if different people have different experiences and expectations😆!

My experience so far is that is doesn't work as I expected (or hoped). I'm sure I'll uncover more scenarios where it does work well.

I do appreciate that at least with Tesla's approach there is a path to improvement over time.
It's often best to approach Tesla with an attitude of 'expect the worst but hope for the best' & I've been in that position since hearing that they were developing a camera based system to replace USS.

Prior to this week I've managed 3000+ miles perfectly well using eyes and mirrors & the car now has a rudimentary park assist with additional kerb recognition so on that basis I am mildly more satisfied than dissatisfied which is as much as I usually hope for with Tesla.

Based on past form It's likely that we've now been given something that they deem 'good enough' so they will probably not devote much more development time to it in the short term.

Reactions: boombap
It's often best to approach Tesla with an attitude of 'expect the worst but hope for the best' & I've been in that position since hearing that they were developing a camera based system to replace USS.

Prior to this week I've managed 3000+ miles perfectly well using eyes and mirrors & the car now has a rudimentary park assist with additional kerb recognition so on that basis I am mildly more satisfied than dissatisfied which is as much as I usually hope for with Tesla.

Based on past form It's likely that we've now been given something that they deem 'good enough' so they will probably not devote much more development time to it in the short term.
I hope you are wrong. In my opinion the park assist is not yet at "performance parity" with USS. Unless Tesla USS are a lot worse than any other car I've had with them.

Reactions: CWT3LR and H43lio
It’s not too bad, also if you cant park your car without it having to hold your hand I would take some more lessons!
The rear camera was always enough for me.

However it is a rip off to pay for a M3 and not get USS. This is the first car I have ever had to not have them.

It was impossible for me to try and explain to my Mrs why they were not installed.

She quite tightly expected them.

Reactions: Aggs18 and boombap
So, I’ve been holding off on chopping in the M3 for the Y for a while - procrastination solely due to the removal of Mr Parky Beep.

Based on the release of 2023.6.9 I put an order in last Sunday. The tyres on the M3 being slicker than a bag of arseholes didn’t hasten the decision, honest. It was on a good deal, wanted delivery in April for tax reasons but due to Tesla behaving like a raccoon on meth due to quarter end I picked it up Thurs 10am. Crikey.

It updated to 2023.6.9:eek:vernight.

I have to say it’s not that bad. At all. Is it as good as camera + USS? Dunno. Would be nice to find out but hey-ho.

Reversing is fine because you’ve got the visual cue of the camera as well. Front? Don’t care if that’s a bit risk-averse cos I don’t want to scrape anything. Ever.

But based on limited data points, the kerb visibility looks like a game changer. Is it perfect? Of course not. Is it all a bit jittery? Yes. But even if that aspect never improves, if it’s good enough to dampen the ardour between Tesla alloys and kerbs I’m happy.

It’s not too bad, also if you cant park your car without it having to hold your hand I would take some more lessons!
My problem with that is that I paid money so that the car would park itself without me having to hold its hand and also move itself in and out of tight spaces with no-one in it. And the reason I did that is that I a have a close relative with mobility impairment who needs to be able to open a door wide to get in and out. 'Blue Badge' you might think, and, indeed, they have one, but sometimes you get to a car park which only has one or two Blue Badge spaces and they are already occupied. [I also did that because I have to park in a couple of underground car parks attached to offices where I work on a rota basis and some of the spaces there are very tight indeed so that there is no room even for a fit young thing an old 6-footer to squeeze in and out without putting a nice dent in the adjacent car.] Park Assist was included in the basic price, but Autopark, Summon and Smart Summon, which are built over Park Assist and sold as Extras, are nowhere to be seen.

Reactions: H43lio and djtaylor

However it is a rip off to pay for a M3 and not get USS. This is the first car I have ever had to not have them.

It was impossible for me to try and explain to my Mrs why they were not installed.

She quite tightly expected them.
I am more than capable of parking a car without sensors. I am also capable of driving a car without automatic windscreen wipers, automatic headlight dimming, electric windows and I am also even capable of driving a car with a manual choke. These features are added to make the car safer and easier to drive.

By your logic I should just accept that I am not a good driver and just need more lessons when I get a car delivered without these features as advertised?

I paid for a car with parking sensors. And didn't get one. And the replacement. So far. Is not in "performance parity"

My problem with that is that I paid money so that the car would park itself without me having to hold its hand and also move itself in and out of tight spaces with no-one in it.
Tesla has never really been able to do that. Autopark has been crap forever and summon will fail most of the time.

It's not the car for you if you need those features.

Tesla has never really been able to do that. Autopark has been crap forever and summon will fail most of the time.

It's not the car for you if you need those features.
It's a great shame (but perhaps no surprise to those how know how Tesla operate) that they have sold these features (in the UK, more so Autopark, less so summon) as being part of 'the package' when, as you say, they are so poor.

This is the Model 3 with USS park assist features. I am sure most of the forum members are aware of the debate going on dismissing the vision based park assist as useless. However, having had USS park assist for the last 2 years, I didn’t see much difference between vision assist (based on RSymonds video, US tesla girl video and various forum members views including @Zilla91, @Ratch ) and USS park assist. I have quickly recorded two videos one to show the reversing and the second one showing the front end obstruction.

The video 1 shows getting out of a park bay - the obstruction in front is a bush and car at the back. This is just to document how much USS miscalculates the distance - the front is around 10 inches in real but it shows 20 and the back is closer to 30+ but the USS shows varied measures. This is to show how unfair the Tesla girl video comparing Model 3 with USS vs Model Y with vision and how some of the youtube influencers make a meal out of a controversy to get more clicks and more money.

The video 2 shows me getting out of the parking bay and turning. There is a white Toyota up on the right hand side (not visible clearly) but it is around 50 yards away. And the first obstruction on the right hand side (with squidgy lines) is a bush. But once you cross the right hand obstruction - the car can be seen both on the screen and outside (distance). It is a world of difference between what you see with the USS and outside. You can hear even my 8 year old could see it is not as close as the car screen shows.

I am not dismissing the problems with vision but there are lots of people vested interest plays a role in so many ganging up on vision. We all buy a car based on our own little lists and heart and my sincere advice to people who want to sue etc., is go ahead and do what you want. But if you don’t like it bloody sell and buy your Volvos and BMWs with sensors.

Disclaimer: Btw I am not a professional youtuber or retired who has lots of time. I have a dayjob so the video isn’t of professional quality with all its flaws. But that shouldn’t dismiss the fact that the USS wasn’t great in Model 3 from the beginning. There may be cars with great USS but when I bought the car I didn’t buy this for USS. If that was the case I would have put that as my priority and looked for cars with great park assist and USS. And that is my two cents.

Video 1:

Video 2:

Last edited:
What vested interest does RSymons have in peddling a narrative?

For me the issue isn't so much accuracy in distances, but consistency and reliability. I don't much care if USS tells me my garage door is 20 inches away when its 15, but I do care if it says STOP when I'm 30" away, or doesn't even acknowledge that the garage door is there at all.

If it's inconsistent to the point where you can't rely on it from one moment to the next, then it's useless at its primary function.

• Disagree
Reactions: H43lio and M3noob
He does have stock of 2nd hand Teslas with parking sensors to sell...
he will have stock of 2nd hand teslas without uss to sell as well...

just have in mind that majority of tesla drivers (current and future) are not on any of tesla forums and do not do research if car has uss or not. for anyone USS is a default feature on any modern car costing 20k or more. they will just go and buy second hand / order new

only issue for RSymons would be if tesla would start selling new cars cheaper than his stock.

What vested interest does RSymons have in peddling a narrative?

For me the issue isn't so much accuracy in distances, but consistency and reliability. I don't much care if USS tells me my garage door is 20 inches away when its 15, but I do care if it says STOP when I'm 30" away, or doesn't even acknowledge that the garage door is there at all.

If it's inconsistent to the point where you can't rely on it from one moment to the next, then it's useless at its primary function.
Cars in inventory that are USS and making a case why that might be desirable?

He seems a nice chap and I am not accusing him of anything. Just setting out that possible reasons do exist. Also, I am in no way defending the current state of vision-only parking assistance on the Tesla. I have no first-hand experience with it.