Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unhappy with the Resale value for my 2019 Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OP - Did you not understand that cars are depreciating assets before you purchased one? A Tesla is fantastic, but no amount of unicorn magic or fairy dust will ever turn it into an "investment". I just find it hard to believe that you could actually be upset about not being able to sell a car for $5K under the cost of a new car after using it for 2 years and when newer cars have slightly better tech/features. Frankly, if you sell even $8-10K under your original purchase price, you should be ecstatic.

Say what? All used Model 3's for sale are overpriced lol

I check autotrader every single night

Now is a great time to sell your Tesla. Very high demand

Tesla also raised the price of 3 & Y last night by another $500. Raises value of used cars as well

Thread title makes no sense 🤭

As others have said, you're asking too much. Tesla is selling this car for only $2k more, direct from them with financing options, reconditioning, and an extended warranty.

I saw an article stating that the Model 3 has the best resale value after 3 years of basically any car, with a 90% value retention. Not sure how true that is. Elon's comment about the cars appreciating was specifically about cars with FSD (I believe).

Reactions: Ron_M3
I don't understand the used Model 3 prices. You're trying to get 45K for a 2019 LR AWD, you can buy a brand new one for 48-49K with the latest tech. Who would buy a 2019 for 45K vs 2021 for 48-49K ?

You also can't get state tax rebates for used. Financing rates are probably better on the new too. Depending on both of those the 2021 could actually be cheaper financed
plus the newest Model 3 AWD is rated at 350 miles (!) which is a significant jump from a 310 miles rated Model 3 AWD in '19 ... plus heat pump ... plus heated steering wheel ... plus wood trim in doors ... plus the usual fixes over time making the car only better

plus the newest Model 3 AWD is rated at 350 miles (!) which is a significant jump from a 310 miles rated Model 3 AWD in '19 ... plus heat pump ... plus heated steering wheel ... plus wood trim in doors ... plus the usual fixes over time making the car only better
I would pay $5k more just to get the heated steering wheel. Only thing I wish my 2018 had. Here in Alaska In our other vehicles I use the heated steering wheel all the time, rarely to never use the heated seats.

While the OP may still get his asking price, if patient, given the scarcity in the market caused by the chip shortage, I normally would expect about $6k off a year, so after 2 model years, I'd look for about $12k off the MSRP.

What history tells us is For a 2 year old used car you should expect 50-70% of what you paid for it. Anything higher then that, be thankful. Cars are almost never an investment, car companies, salesmen, and your personal internal justification to support a want. Vehicles are a depreciating asset, any time you trade/sell a <5 year old car be prepared to take a beating.
Sold my 2016 Tacoma last week for $35,500. I paid $32,000 for it brand new 5 years ago. I love that kind of beating.

you're also talking about a 2 year old car that gets nearly 20% less range than a new one for just a few grand more.
A new car would also have a heat pump, a couple more years of warranty, and ~ 8,000 miles less on the car. The new car would also not carry any risk that the prior owner damaged or abused the car.

OP's asking price is unreasonable. The Tesla market is fine

Reactions: Jeff Davlt and Sam1
A new car would also have a heat pump, a couple more years of warranty, and ~ 8,000 miles less on the car. The new car would also not carry any risk that the prior owner damaged or abused the car.

OP's asking price is unreasonable. The Tesla market is fine
On the plus side, the owner probably had a bunch of post-build fixes done after they bought the car.

How are you not getting 45k through Tesla. Im selling them my 2019 model 3 awd with FSD and acceleration boost and got valuation of 44,300. You also gotta factor you get a sales tax credit which is about 2.6k so that’s right around 47k ish. Right now is the best time to sell your Model 3 to Tesla due to the global chip shortage. My car went up in value by 2k in a month through Tesla.

Forgot to add I have 15k miles on the car. Trading up for M3P at end of June!
With fsd, you should sell private party

I have a 2019 LR AWD, 7800miles, clean all over. Supercharged 700 miles, battery shows 315mi range at 100%.

Wanted to upgrade to a Model S for more space.

Put the Model 3 for sale, its been 2 weeks and zero interest. Was asking 45k. 2 people asked if it was still avail then no reply.

I sold my 2017 mazda miata with 27k miles 4 months ago after 3 weeks of advertising. over 10 inquiries in 3 weeks. Sold for 1k less than i asked.

Kbb does not include the m3 in its instant cash offer feature... Why? I guess they know demand is low. Tons of m3 on used car sites. Telsa offering me at most 40k trade-in.

Conclusion if you are considering: fantastic car but still no used market. All the talk of teslas retaining their values is BS, prob no better than a chrysler.

PS i live in CA, the supposed hotbed for EVs.
$45,000 for a 2019? A brand new 2021 was only like $47000. (before the price hikes)