Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unsworth Vs Musk defamation trial

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As a world traveler who've seen a lot. I just don't like the type of guys I see at go go bars in Thailand. (doesn't mean he is a pedo, it just mean he is there to exploit disadvantaged women who will sell out for money). Unsworth fits the stereotype to a T.
Of course, I am generalizing and I cannot prove it. But if it barks like a dog and pees like a dog. He could be an exception, but 99.9% of them do exactly what the stereotypical people do.

Now if he is back home in UK and is dating a young hot thing. I say hey. Respect for you, you got good game.

Ok, you got me this one. I'm speechless... rather... I can't respond with out being 'snippy'.

AudubonB you're right. I'll stop... feel free to move it all wherever you like.

It was far from Elon's finest moment, but enough of the hyperbole. Get over it.

Elon was aggressively insulted for working hard with 50 of his engineers to save some children during a period when he was highly stressed solving Model 3 production. As a result Elon retaliated with a very poor choice of insult by referring to Vern as "Pedo Guy" - a common insult in Elon's region of South Africa just meaning "creepy old man", not an actual accusation of pedophilia. Elon soon apologised, but Vern didn't.

Billionaires are real people too, they have real emotions and make real mistakes.

Elon was stupid and I hope he learnt a lesson, but no need for your (and the clickbait media's) baseless embellishment of the situation.
I mostly agree with what you said. But please people, don't defend Elon to that degree where untruths are involved. Pedo Guy is not a common insult in SA or anywhere else. FULL STOP. That BS was made up by his lawyers and it is just that, BS.

The only thing i realized about this trial is that media is out for blood when it comes to Elon. Watching their tweets, it was like a bunch of vultures circling waiting to declare victory on their predetermined outcome.

I hope Elon remains cautious with the media as they are just ready to take advantage with some other mistake. They didn't get their pound of flesh this time so they are even more worked up than ever to try to do some sort of hatchet job on him.

That "BS" was confirmed by other South Africans.
Of 17 classmates asked, ONE confirmed it, the vast majority had not heard of it as a 'common insult'. The one guy who did confirm it, muddied the waters because he was referring to it being used to describe someone who they thought WAS a peadophile, not just an common insult.

Person A insults Person B on national TV. Person B responds by insulting Person A on social media.

Insults fly all over social media and TV all the time. Before any of this, I'd bet that most had never heard of Person A, whereas Person B was well known.

Does Person A deserve almost $200 million for what happened? Of course not. They were both wrong. Should Person B have taken the high road? Of course. But Person A should have, too. They should both throw a quarter into the swear jar and move on. Sheesh.

Either Person A is thin-skinned, or he was just out for money. People who criticize Person B put themselves on a high pedestal but everyone's called someone else a bad name before. People need to grow some thicker skin. What a waste of time for a judicial system and a society.

Tangentially-related side note: if two people get pulled over for speeding, but one makes ten times the money, does he owe ten times the fine? Nope.

Likewise, you can't claim you are owed more compensation for defamation damages simply because the person you are blaming makes more money. Well, you can, but...since the defendant's income is independent of the damages one would suffer as the victim of defamation, it's clear that doing so is merely to take advantage of the situation and fleece someone of their money. It reveals the true intent of the lawsuit.

Ugh, I wish our legal system had a penalty for frivolous lawsuits or a higher barrier to entry...

That depends on what country you are in: Speeding fines being linked to income in Europe

This case is in the country of Los Angeles of course :). My point is that the American legal system doesn't generally do this.

It's much like the debate in American politics: should a rich person pay higher taxes because they can, even though their consumption of services provided by taxes may be no different than a "poor" person?

Last edited:
Was he speeding in a Scandinavian country or the UK? Possibly, yes.

The idea is that in order for a fine to be a deterrent it needs to have similar utility value and therefore must reflect income.

Understood, not picking a side either way--but If that is the case, then punitive damages should go to to a government or third party...one could argue: why should a victim of a crime perpetrated by a rich person be compensated much more than a victim of the same crime perpetrated by a poor person? Did the poor criminal's victim suffer less? Seems a moral/ethical question.

Elon was then purposely fed misinformation about him which lead to the continued insults.
Are you referring to the subsequent 'child rapist' comment by Elon ?
I find that much more troublesome but perhaps it was not said on a public forum so he got away with it ?

I have no idea why Unsworth felt it necessary to insult Elon's efforts, and I'm surprised Elon did not show some restraint. Regardless of the nasty name-calling, I have immense respect for both Elon and Unsworth for their willingness to get involved, spend time and money to help those trapped kids. As for the twitter-verse that sits on its thumbs and passes judgement on people who actually make a difference -- face palm.

Are you referring to the subsequent 'child rapist' comment by Elon ?
I find that much more troublesome but perhaps it was not said on a public forum so he got away with it ?

I have no idea why Unsworth felt it necessary to insult Elon's efforts, and I'm surprised Elon did not show some restraint. Regardless of the nasty name-calling, I have immense respect for both Elon and Unsworth for their willingness to get involved, spend time and money to help those trapped kids. As for the twitter-verse that sits on its thumbs and passes judgement on people who actually make a difference -- face palm.

It’s also because he believed it to be true. He was told by a seemingly reliable source that it was true. Defamation requires that you know what you’re saying is false.

It’s also because he believed it to be true. He was told by a seemingly reliable source that it was true. Defamation requires that you know what you’re saying is false.
Huh. I didn't know that.
So I can write that somebody is a murderer so long as it might be true ?

Addendum:
An internet law site says
The statement must be published (meaning some third party must have heard it), false, and it must result in harm, usually to the reputation.

IMHO, both of them were out of line throwing loaded insults at each other in main stream TV interview / social media.
However, as far as the suit is considered "defamation" as in ruining the fame of Mr. Unsworth, that was completely baseless. In fact, I would argue that Musk's tweet made him much more famous. His fame of being the "hero" of the rescue would have faded into obscurity much faster if it wasn't for the media circus following Elon's tweet and then this lawsuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.