Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

v11.4.7 (2023.7.30) auto-wipers seem drastically worse

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Remember all the complaints this forum had when auto high beam didn't work well at all? Tesla fixed it and it works perfect for me now.

I still think Tesla can come back with a well working wiper eventually.
Oh for sure. I'm not upset about this, just to be clear. I mainly searched to see if anyone else had this issue on this version, since I noticed it after the update, just to rule that in or out as a cause for troubleshooting purposes.

I agree about the high beams. Much improved for sure.

Reactions: JohnB007
Got v11.4.7 (2023.7.30) last night and, strangely, auto-wipers were awful in some rainstorms today. Clearly worse than 11.4.4. In moderate to heavy rain they barely wiped and I could could not see well. Obviously, I couldn't safely test this too much without hitting the single wipe button for visibility (or manually setting the speed).

Previously I found auto-wipers were OK. In actual rainy conditions they did a decent job of wiping sufficiently (I think a lot of the complaints people are from excessive wiping when not needed). It was obviously different today. I think at one point I saw a warning on screen that the forward camera was occluded which gives you an indication of how much water was building up.

Odd regression. I wonder if they meant to change something in this release or this is a completely unintended bug?
Updated on MY to 11.4.7 (2023.7.30) last night and auto wiper function completely non-functional. Can still manually adjust levels 1-4, but auto completely unresponsive to light rain or torrential rain. Clearly a bug. Hoping for an update soon.

Updated on MY to 11.4.7 (2023.7.30) last night and auto wiper function completely non-functional. Can still manually adjust levels 1-4, but auto completely unresponsive to light rain or torrential rain. Clearly a bug. Hoping for an update soon.
Interestingly, after an overnight deep sleep the wipers appear to have resurrected and now function with light and heavy rain adjusting speed. Seem to be just like they were prior to the 11.7.7 update. Hope this happens for others.

Interestingly, after an overnight deep sleep the wipers appear to have resurrected and now function with light and heavy rain adjusting speed. Seem to be just like they were prior to the 11.7.7 update. Hope this happens for others.
Yeah early this morning before sunrise it was raining and they came on for me. They seemed to be more tame. Quick to slow down as the rain did. Not wild and crazy.

It also seemed that my blind spot cameras are different, like the color is shifted toward blue. I have the older cameras that get the glare from the side blinkers. The glare was less noticable and had a more blue color. I wonder if this is intentional. The visibility was much improved in dark conditions.

It also seemed that my blind spot cameras are different, like the color is shifted toward blue. I have the older cameras that get the glare from the side blinkers. The glare was less noticable and had a more blue color. I wonder if this is intentional.

It is. Lots of people have noticed this. It's a pretty nice improvement.

Interestingly, after an overnight deep sleep the wipers appear to have resurrected and now function with light and heavy rain adjusting speed.

I wonder if forcing a reboot would also do the trick (for people just installing this update)

Also, Tesla has not halted rollout.

• Helpful
Reactions: JB47394
I noticed the same thing. Auto wipers went from not working at all to working normally the following day. I tried a reboot after I first noticed the problem and it made no difference. I have no idea what could be changing after a day's rest.

I was just going to post about this. I was just in the drive through of McDonald's, with FULL sun at me, completely dry window, and my wipers just turn on and stayed on until I turned them off AUTO. I was just updated to 11.4.7 yesterday. I was also at 11.4.4 and saw no major issues.. I thought the new code was supposed to look at all the windows before they were turned on.

Last edited:
There is a button on the steering wheel just like on the Model S/X.
That's for the washer. Can you trigger a single wipe like you could with the stalk button (that also brought up the manual wiper selection on the screen)? That saved me many times when the auto wiper didn't work.

Also, another button you have to look down to operate.

I think the decision to remove the stalks from the newer cars is singularly stupid.

OK, so...should I install this or not? I'd prefer to not break the already crappy auto wipers! Sounds like for many, the wipers magically have fixed themselves. Odd that a reboot didn't fix it but some other gremlin did. Any other reports to weigh in?

Another auto wiper fail here for 11.4.7. Completely non functional; it's been two days now. I was actually pretty happy with the auto wipers before. Oh, I guess they're not completely non-functional; sometimes they come on in dry conditions. It's almost funny, they'll come on for no reason, and then it starts to drizzle and they immediately shut off.

Seriously, how did such a broken piece of software get released? Oh, and I've found .7 to be a worse FSD as well. It tries to run red lights, traffic circle behavior has regressed to pre 11.x. It's just worse all around. Two steps backwards and another step backwards. Maybe we'll get a fix to this that will include bumping us up to the latest non-beta features?

I had my first chance to drive in sprinkles today, in Phoenix. Though the wipers were set to Auto, they never came on when I wanted them too. Not sensitive enough, and I saw no way to adjust that. I kept pressing the wiper button about every 30 seconds when enough drops covered the windshield enough to bother me. And when the rain stopped? A couple of times the wipers came on for nothing!

Brand new 2023 MYP, software 2023.26.100.

Another auto wiper fail here for 11.4.7. Completely non functional; it's been two days now. I was actually pretty happy with the auto wipers before. Oh, I guess they're not completely non-functional; sometimes they come on in dry conditions. It's almost funny, they'll come on for no reason, and then it starts to drizzle and they immediately shut off.

Seriously, how did such a broken piece of software get released? Oh, and I've found .7 to be a worse FSD as well. It tries to run red lights, traffic circle behavior has regressed to pre 11.x. It's just worse all around. Two steps backwards and another step backwards. Maybe we'll get a fix to this that will include bumping us up to the latest non-beta features?
For reasons I can’t explain, the deep sleep at night (no sentry, plugged in) resets differently than a soft reboot. At least that’s how mine regained autowiper functionality. But I wholeheartedly agree we need to enter the branch with all the latest non FSD features. It’s been six months since the branches diverged.

Thread 'When will 11.4.7 (2023.7.30) gain the features in the 2023.26.xx branch? It’s been a long time without the additions of numerous features.'
When will 11.4.7 (2023.7.30) gain the features in the 2023.26.xx branch? It’s been a long time without the additions of numerous features.

OK, so...should I install this or not? I'd prefer to not break the already crappy auto wipers! Sounds like for many, the wipers magically have fixed themselves. Odd that a reboot didn't fix it but some other gremlin did. Any other reports to weigh in?
For reasons I can’t explain, the deep sleep at night (no sentry, plugged in) resets differently than a soft reboot. At least that’s how mine regained autowiper functionality.