Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

v11.4.7 (2023.7.30) auto-wipers seem drastically worse

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For reasons I can’t explain, the deep sleep at night (no sentry, plugged in) resets differently than a soft reboot. At least that’s how mine regained autowiper functionality.
The soft reboot only reboots the Infotainment system. (That is why you can soft reset it while driving, even while driving on AP/FSD.) The deep sleep puts everything to sleep, and then restarts it: Infotainment, gateway, FSD computer etc.

Got v11.4.7 (2023.7.30) last night and, strangely, auto-wipers were awful in some rainstorms today. Clearly worse than 11.4.4. In moderate to heavy rain they barely wiped and I could could not see well. Obviously, I couldn't safely test this too much without hitting the single wipe button for visibility (or manually setting the speed).

Previously I found auto-wipers were OK. In actual rainy conditions they did a decent job of wiping sufficiently (I think a lot of the complaints people are from excessive wiping when not needed). It was obviously different today. I think at one point I saw a warning on screen that the forward camera was occluded which gives you an indication of how much water was building up.

Odd regression. I wonder if they meant to change something in this release or this is a completely unintended bug?
I just noticed the same thing. In San Diego I don't get many opportunities to use the wipers, but it drizzled today. The wipers did not automatically come on. I finally set them at 1. Maybe they set the wipers not to be used here.

The soft reboot only reboots the Infotainment system. (That is why you can soft reset it while driving, even while driving on AP/FSD.) The deep sleep puts everything to sleep, and then restarts it: Infotainment, gateway, FSD computer etc.
I know about the infotainment reset. However, a soft resets have solved for me in the past:
Left sided brake light not working
Malfunction of traffic display on monitor
Completely blanked out screen while driving
WiFi functionality restored
Telephone Bluetooth
Turn signals not illuminating
And probably a freighter things I can’t quite remember.

Many of those I suppose could be characterized as infotainment, but not all. I have tried a complete shutdown and reboot too without the same success. So I agree with you that the overnight deep sleep reset is a different type of reboot.

I know about the infotainment reset. However, a soft resets have solved for me in the past:
Left sided brake light not working
Malfunction of traffic display on monitor
Completely blanked out screen while driving
WiFi functionality restored
Telephone Bluetooth
Turn signals not illuminating
And probably a freighter things I can’t quite remember.

Many of those I suppose could be characterized as infotainment, but not all. I have tried a complete shutdown and reboot too without the same success. So I agree with you that the overnight deep sleep reset is a different type of reboot.
I could add to that list: USB ports not functioning to charge my phone.

Reactions: rbcopod
Anyone have any thoughts on how to make the car do what is necessary for this to reset and work? Deep sleep? How do I make that happen? I just installed it last night, and would prefer not to have problems today and tomorrow!

Anyone have any thoughts on how to make the car do what is necessary for this to reset and work?
No.

Sleep happens as a normal function of your car when parked for a while, sentry is off, and overheat protection is off. Some 3rd party apps also interfere with your car sleeping.

The relationship between sleeping and auto-wipers is highly speculative. My guess is Tesla changed a parameter on the back end making adjustments to the auto wipers. I doubt it has anything to do with sleep.

Anyone have any thoughts on how to make the car do what is necessary for this to reset and work? Deep sleep? How do I make that happen?
TeslaMate used to let you put the car to sleep if it isn't currently charging, not sure if it still does. Or just let it go to sleep naturally by turning off Senty Mode, Overheat protection, and not have it charging.

FYI, TeslaMate is the one you have to set up yourself with your own server, so not for the technically challenged...

Man you guys weren't kidding about the broken autowipers in 11.4.7. In steady rain (and sometimes no rain) it will wipe once per minute or so. Basically do a single wipe, park the wipers, then maybe wipe again a minute later.

Auto wipers aren't as bad as they were when I first got this update, but they are still worse than 11.4.4. They wok OK--I haven't driven in drizzle since they started working though. But they run at least once or twice or more every drive even if it's dry out. Before, I'd get the "dry wipe" once in a blue moon. Now, every drive.

I just noticed the same thing. In San Diego I don't get many opportunities to use the wipers, but it drizzled today. The wipers did not automatically come on. I finally set them at 1. Maybe they set the wipers not to be used here.
Same here. Auto wiper did not work when I used FSD from SD to Orange County on Saturday.
And it worked when I parked and sat in the car and there was no rain. I had to turn it off.

I had my first chance to drive in sprinkles today, in Phoenix. Though the wipers were set to Auto, they never came on when I wanted them too. Not sensitive enough, and I saw no way to adjust that. I kept pressing the wiper button about every 30 seconds when enough drops covered the windshield enough to bother me. And when the rain stopped? A couple of times the wipers came on for nothing!

Brand new 2023 MYP, software 2023.26.100.
Welcome to Tesla Vision! It’s nice to have you aboard.

11.4.7 is tied to the old code and don’t think any wiper improvements are there
With 2023.26.10/11.4.4 a few things about auto wiper update during FSDb:

Auto is much improved
Did not notice any dry wipes
Noticed a 4th hash now added
1693925404451.png

Only problem leff I had which is big, just cleaning the windshield with left stalk push in while on FSDb, I could not get the wipers to stop after they cleaned resulting in dry wipe
Had to cancel FSDb running and restart FSDb
Crazy