Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V9 39.7 - Dashcam not working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tried using a ext4 partition for the cam, but the system doesn't recognize it. An ext4 format would be less prone to corruption, but the teslas software doesn't seem to be able to read it.

it doesn't read anything but FAT32. Same for music.

The Car From The Future can't handle any file system invented in the last 20 years it seems.

What drives make and model along with capacity seem to work?

Also has anyone found a way to "safe eject " the drives ? Hot unplug can cause corruption.

Or is the only way to hit "power off " on the center console when parked to eject drive?

mine corrupted without ejecting it at all. I believe many others have as well.

So it seems it's not shutting it down cleanly when going to sleep either even if you leave the drive plugged in.

Possibly it's not even doing file handling correctly while running from a few reports folks have posted (where it'd run for 30 minutes then corrupt and go to the gray x without doing anything but driving)

I think mine corrupted today even though I was trying to manually pause it when leaving the car. It's pretty broken IMO. More people that report it the sooner it gets fixed.

My workaround is to keep 2 drives now. Once once dies, I'll replace it and reformat the bad one. Hopefully I'll have a recording one in the event I need it....

I think mine corrupted today even though I was trying to manually pause it when leaving the car. It's pretty broken IMO. More people that report it the sooner it gets fixed.

My workaround is to keep 2 drives now. Once once dies, I'll replace it and reformat the bad one. Hopefully I'll have a recording one in the event I need it....

Mine seems to generate a corrupt file when the car goes to sleep. The first image shows the how the drive contents look on a Mac. The second image shows the files inside the TeslaCam folder. The last file in this list won't open. This occurred when I parked at work.

TeslaCam.jpeg

TeslaCam file list.jpeg

My work around will be swapping usb drives. Anyone have a better idea?

Reactions: RunMadM3

I think we need to pause recording 1 minute or more before getting out of the car. I think this is needed to allow time for the system to flush the last write data to the USB drive. This has been working for me flawlessly so far. Of course this should be fixed by Tesla though!

Reset touchscreen and also tried removing and inserting, no such luck - still grey ‘X’ icon.

Originally formatted via MacOS, only have TeslaCam folder. 16GB USB 2.0 drive so perhaps the read/write speed has something to do with it? It appeared to be recording yesterday, only noticed the X this morning on drive in.

I’ve had 39.7 since Friday morning. I haven’t had any issue with a corrupted USB drive. One thing: I formatted my drive with MacOS. Anyone else who formatted theirs on a Mac having issues?

I formatted mine with MacOS, per the instructions (MSDOS FAT, TeslaCam folder), seemed to work fine right after the V9 39.7 install. Noticed the grey X this morning, removed the drive and plugged it into a Windows 10 machine. Drive comes up with volume name of EFI and capacity of 196 MB; this is a 32 GB drive. I'll check it on my Mac at home tonight. The drive hasn't been anywhere else except in the car so the car somehow reformatted the drive. Sounds implausible but I have not other explanation.

I formatted mine with MacOS, per the instructions (MSDOS FAT, TeslaCam folder), seemed to work fine right after the V9 39.7 install. Noticed the grey X this morning, removed the drive and plugged it into a Windows 10 machine. Drive comes up with volume name of EFI and capacity of 196 MB; this is a 32 GB drive. I'll check it on my Mac at home tonight. The drive hasn't been anywhere else except in the car so the car somehow reformatted the drive. Sounds implausible but I have not other explanation.

My first extended drive yesterday, and I ended up with the grey x. I unplugged the drive and plugged it back in. No joy. Took it into the house and formatted it again. Plugged it back into the car and got the record button. We'll see what happens next. If it goes grey again I will submit a bug report.

Mine seems to generate a corrupt file when the car goes to sleep. The first image shows the how the drive contents look on a Mac. The second image shows the files inside the TeslaCam folder. The last file in this list won't open. This occurred when I parked at work.

View attachment 344270

View attachment 344272
My work around will be swapping usb drives. Anyone have a better idea?
I'm getting that same problem. I'm going to try to format the usb drive again and pause the recording before I leave the car to see if I get better luck.

Am I the only one that doesn't even get the camera icon now? Aside from the first day, in which it worked perfectly, there is simply no icon upon which the 'grey x' has to appear. I would rather at least get the 'grey x', as it would tell me that my car is actually reading the drive.

I have tried reformatting it a couple times, and still no camera icon. Again, I know the formatting works, as I had flawless recording originally.

Side note: I noted that the camera icon is small (stating the obvious, I know)... and my finger (when pushing to pause, etc.) completely hides the icon, so I don't actually know what's going on until I remove my finger. I wish that there was a small 'side bar' when the icon is pushed so we can see what's happening. Just my opinion.

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
Side note: I noted that the camera icon is small (stating the obvious, I know)... and my finger (when pushing to pause, etc.) completely hides the icon, so I don't actually know what's going on until I remove my finger. I wish that there was a small 'side bar' when the icon is pushed so we can see what's happening. Just my opinion.

If you just click it to save recordings, it will show some small animation of it saving the clip when you let go.

If you hold your finger on it for a while to stop recording it kind of flashes once you've held long enough to indicate it registered the long press (I can see it, I guess it depends how much of it you're blocking with your finger).

But mine just shows X so often I've given up on it for now. Tired of reformatting all the time.