Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Website/Design Studio Update - Twin Chargers no longer available from factory

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Really stupid move by Tesla. Did they give you a reason for why they did this ?

I think it's obvious. $$$$

They make at both ends. EVERY car off the line now only has single chargers, simplifying production and reducing cost on every car. Every person that "needs" it will pay the extra $500.

The small volume in sales they lose, will be more than made up for in additional unit margin.

I think it's obvious. $$$$

They make at both ends. EVERY car off the line now only has single chargers, simplifying production and reducing cost on every car. Every person that "needs" it will pay the extra $500.

The small volume in sales they lose, will be more than made up for in additional unit margin.

There is surely more labor involved in installing a second charger at the service center, though, so it's less than $500 of additional profit.

22kW charger should be standard. Because it gives me the freedom to charge sufficiently fast wherever there is a 32A 3-phase socket (there are thousands of them). With 22kW charger i can use my car without being dependent on any kind of fast charging network. I will not buy any electric car without 22kW charger. I am very disappointed with this Tesla move towards crappy cars. Shame on you, Tesla!

22kW charger should be standard. Because it gives me the freedom to charge sufficiently fast wherever there is a 32A 3-phase socket (there are thousands of them). With 22kW charger i can use my car without being dependent on any kind of fast charging network. I will not buy any electric car without 22kW charger. I am very disappointed with this Tesla move towards crappy cars. Shame on you, Tesla!

+1

There's also the network effect of this: With fewer 22kWh cars out there, fewer destinations will bother with setting up 22kWh type2 charging points for destination charging, making road trips outside the supercharger builtup areas more difficult. 22kW charger should be standard in Europe.

+1

There's also the network effect of this: With fewer 22kWh cars out there, fewer destinations will bother with setting up 22kWh type2 charging points for destination charging, making road trips outside the supercharger builtup areas more difficult. 22kW charger should be standard in Europe.

And in the case of UK cars, which are just software limited, by not paying for a setting in a menu somewhere, I'm hogging the bay longer for other users. (Now the CHAdeMO is available, it's less of an issue of course.)

Ultimately if you want a car that is (almost) a replacement for an ICE on long journeys, you are looking at Supercharging + Dual + CHAdeMO.

You could almost buy a brand new ICE here in the UK for the same money, and only use it for those occasional trips outside battery range :D

Dual charger option discontinued?

Periodically, I reprice my car using the online configurator. Today, I noticed a $2000 discrepancy. When ticking through the options to make sure I had them all set the same, I noticed that in the "charging" section, the option for dual chargers has been removed. Can anyone else verify this? Does anyone have an idea why this option would be retracted?

Any updates to confirm if all cars are shipping with a single charger or dual chargers now? The website says,
YOUR MODEL S COMES WITH

• Single Charger (10 kW)

"J1772, 80 amp capable"

Which is kind of contradictory....

No it isn't. The J1772 adapter is 80 amp capable, they ship the same adapter with every car. However, you won't get 80 amp charging with a single charger.

When delivered. You can add the second one at the Service Centre during delivery, but it's a separate purchase.

It's a separate, much less expensive than it used to be, purchase. It used to be $3600, now it's $2000.

Shop Tesla Gear Charging and Adapters

Tesla Gear Shop Charging and Adapters

I think Tesla's reasoning here is that as the Supercharger network is built out, the importance of having an 80A 240V charging capability decreases. It simplifies the production line to eliminate the option. Those who want it can still have it, for no more cost than previously. And speaking as someone who bought an inventory car which did not have dual chargers: this change in price is a welcome one. :) (Though I probably will still stick with a single charger - there aren't enough public chargers >40A for it to be worthwhile.)

Someone spotted this Tesla at the Hawthorne Supercharger, and the window sticker makes it seem as though Twin Chargers are included in the price...

attachment.php?attachmentid=75616&d=1427131373.jpg

Edit: NVM, optical illusion. It's $1500.

Last edited: