Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What features do you wish the Model Y came with (Dec 2022/Jan 2023) Wishlist

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Love my Model Y, but there's always room for improvement...What features would you like to see Tesla make for Model Y or Model 3?

Let's classify this as either A) software updates or B) hardware upgrades (for new cars and possibly retrofitting to existing cars).

I'll start...

A) Software Updates
  1. Please enable the matrix headlights.
  2. CarPlay and Android Auto (which may or may not require HW changes)
  3. Navigate to 3rd party DCFC
  4. Error/warning messages need text-to-speech. The text is tiny and I shouldn't need to look at the screen to see that autosteer is disabled or some other critical alert.
  5. Voice recognition for changing radio stations (I thought every car had this — my Ford and my Toyota did)
  6. Without EAP or FSD, lane changing should be more seamless and less beepy. In my last car (Mach E), you'd signal, it would let you change lanes without lane keeping, and it would detect when you're in the new lane and re-engage lane centering.
  7. Add ability to adjust wiper sensitivity
  8. I've had 3-4 times in my 3 months with the car where the car would not update its status in the app. It was in persistent disconnected status (in a well covered cell area that I go all the time). In a couple cases it was broken for 3-6 hours. I had to two-button restart. Please fix this.

B) hardware upgrades (and please offer upgrades to current owners)
  1. Heads up display (that seems like the perfect minimalist match for Tesla)
  2. Cameras support for Birds Eye surround view (downward facing cameras under the side mirrors, etc)
  3. Infrared eye illuminator and camera tracking for detection driver attention instead of hands on the steering wheel (like Chevy Supercruise and Ford BlueCruise)
  4. 80A level 2 charging (19.2kW). I know early Model S cars had an option. But more and more businesses are installing 80A chargers. Blink and SemaConnect have sold 80A commercial chargers for a while. Chargepoint released a 80A commercial charger a couple months ago. If you can get almost double the charge (vs a 48A charger) during a shopping trip or a movie, or move almost twice as many cars through a charger at a workplace, that would be great.
  5. Vehicle to load and vehicle to house. We've all seen what the Hyndaid/Kia can do with a built-in plug and a J1772 adapter. And the Ford Lightning's ability to power your house. Come on Tesla, we want this too!

2020_Tesla_Model_Y,_rear_8.1.20.jpg

"File:2020 Tesla Model Y, rear 8.1.20.jpg" by Kevauto is licensed under CC BY-SA 4.0.
Admin note: Added as thumbnail for blog.

Upvote 0
Perhaps I miss understand your point. All summer I used off-peak scheduling using either the Tesla native app or the Stats app. I needed to do this to get a rebate from my power company. Worked like a charm.
The problem is that you can only ask the car to observe off-peak hours if you give it a ‘be charged by’ time. If this time target requires it to charge outside of off-peak hours using expensive snd dirtier electricity then it will. What people like me with slow home charging want is to be able to plus it in without a ‘be charged by’ target time and then have it charge (for several days if need be) only during off-peak hours until it reaches the desired % charge level.

The problem is that you can only ask the car to observe off-peak hours if you give it a ‘be charged by’ time. If this time target requires it to charge outside of off-peak hours using expensive snd dirtier electricity then it will. What people like me with slow home charging want is to be able to plus it in without a ‘be charged by’ target time and then have it charge (for several days if need be) only during off-peak hours until it reaches the desired % charge level.
I use the Tessie app to automate a number of tasks, including starting/stopping charging. It works like a charm.

Here is my wish list. I'm going to keep it all software as most Teslas would be able to benefit from these:

- Proper blind spot monitoring where it makes a sound if you put a turn signal on and someone is next to you
- Bring back park assist and add rear traffic alert
- Reduce hvac fan speed if you are on the phone.
- Adjust high fan speed towards the window when you open it (like at a drive thru - my bmw has this)
- Add eco mode - (lower heat/ac use, seat/steering wheel temp, only use one motor)
- Open windows from app
- Add stop light camera, police, accident ahead notification to navigation
- Add share trip with contacts to navigation
- Add ability to report accidents/police to navigation
- Add ability through app to make your phone a HUD. Possibly offer a mount to sell for phone.
- Add app for Sirius XM
- Add ability where if you stand near the trunk/hatch for a period of time with phone it will open automatically (like kia) (They could use cameras to verify you are there) also do the same for frunk. Turn off in app if you want.
- Add voice control to open radio stations or music apps
- Fix problem with phantom breaking in rain (Currently so bad I cannot even use basic cruise control when its raining)

I'd like a quick way to engage the front camera when parking. Proximity sensors are still good (on my car at least) but sometimes you want to see up front, such as when a low object might be there.
I’m not sure if the front camera can even see a low object. Teslas big deficiency is no front bumper camera. This is why there is no birds eye 360 view. Also why many are skeptical of Vision only park assist.

Reactions: BitJam and howardnj
Here is my wish list. I'm going to keep it all software as most Teslas would be able to benefit from these:

- Proper blind spot monitoring where it makes a sound if you put a turn signal on and someone is next to you
- Bring back park assist and add rear traffic alert
- Reduce hvac fan speed if you are on the phone.
- Adjust high fan speed towards the window when you open it (like at a drive thru - my bmw has this)
- Add eco mode - (lower heat/ac use, seat/steering wheel temp, only use one motor)
- Open windows from app
- Add stop light camera, police, accident ahead notification to navigation
- Add share trip with contacts to navigation
- Add ability to report accidents/police to navigation
- Add ability through app to make your phone a HUD. Possibly offer a mount to sell for phone.
- Add app for Sirius XM
- Add ability where if you stand near the trunk/hatch for a period of time with phone it will open automatically (like kia) (They could use cameras to verify you are there) also do the same for frunk. Turn off in app if you want.
- Add voice control to open radio stations or music apps
- Fix problem with phantom breaking in rain (Currently so bad I cannot even use basic cruise control when its raining)
A few more things I would LOVE to see:
- Tesla create an Apple Watch app. It would be great to have a complication that shows my battery level from my watch especially when I'm in a store or at work and the car is charging. Door/window status and quick buttons could also be there.
- If you have your windows open outside and the car detects rain the windows shut.
- When navigating to a supercharger: automatically add you to a wait list for charging stations that are full or close to full. Your car can tell you when it is your turn and perhaps which stall to go to.

Make sure you cancel your Amazon! I hear Bezos is mean, too. Lets not even get into Apple's child labor factories... definitely dont buy an Apple product. Also never shop at WalMart, that family is horrible... Even the beloved Walt Disney was an anti-semite, so dont do anything Disney.

Maybe many people with that much wealth are just bad humans. *shrug* Personally, I tend to support Made in America products whenever possible, but the Tesla leadership doesnt always make it easy.
I fully respect what @KauaiGlen said. Elon is spreading (blatantly obvious) conspiracy theory nonsense, suggesting that every man have multiple children by as many women as possible (reprehensible comment including wrt saving the earth, which is why I have a Tesla in the first place) and he's doing all that while he's several years late on Tesla Vision. A responsible owner would stop doing anything until he fixed Tesla vision. A responsible human would stop the idiotic dangerous comments. (And a good person would use their absolutely unique wealth and power, and their abilities for good, but that's for another website, I think.) At some level, when we buy these things, we empower his antics and his lack of action on Tesla Vision. @Tha_Ape, I'm too much of an optimist to just shrug. I just can't accept the "oh well, all owners of big companies are evil and there are no alternatives. " I admire @KauaiGlen for standing up against Elon; I would *really* admire him if he presented some research about a better alternative. If only there were an EV company like Patagonia, the model corporate citizen! (A lot of people like Aptera, I thin it's called, but I haven't done any research on them.)
Finally @Tha_Ape, I agree with your preference for made-in-america items. My sales certificate says my MYLR was made in Fremont and batteries made in Fremont, which I think is super-cool. (China, which makes most of the batteries in the world, has heinous human rights policies just to start, and that's super-un-cool in my book ). It's unfortunate, however, that (as I understand it), Teslas delivered in EU are mostly made in China (not sure where that leaves Giga Berlin, maybe in the future...?).

If you like made in America, don't just shrug! Ask your retailers for more made in america stuff. Do like I do, just ask them WHERE IS THIS MADE? Just say, "PASS!" on buying things you don't really need that are made in China.
Just a quick example - there are a million floor mats out there. weathertech are made in USA. You could choose them over the dozens on amazon made in China. (I think - not personally verified- that 3Dmaxpider are mostly made in Taiwan.) Voting with your wallet is *very* powerful. You have much more power than to just "shrug"; I hope you choose to use that power!

Ya, TLDR, but you know buying any EV is a fantastic way to give the bird to Putin (apparently much of the gas/oil in CA was previously from RU), not to mention all the US oil companies that lied and astroturfed so heinously for all those years instead of investing in green energy development. Watch how oil company stock does in the next 10 years as we all fight to get on lists for the next EVs. Your wallet has power, never doubt it.

Have a great day,

-TPC