Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why are TACC, AP (and ?FSD) so bad?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It would improve even more if it adjusted the speed to the limit before reaching the sign in both directions, like the legacy OEM:s have done for the last ten years.
most of the OEMs do that through map data though, which as we've seen is often inaccurate.
The list of signs that FSDb can read isn't very long sadly, it seems unable read most warning signs, doesn't read no right on red for instance.
This morning I was driving down the same highway I have traveled for years, but this morning it noticed traffic lights on an overpass and gave me the "slowing down for traffic control" while in a 70mph section, delightful. I'm sure most phantom braking event are like that, messages that flash for an instant that have gone before you can check why the car suddenly slowed down.

It would improve even more if it adjusted the speed to the limit before reaching the sign in both directions, like the legacy OEM:s have done for the last ten years.
This is technically illegal, so Tesla will never do it:

Any signposted speed limit comes into effect at the exact point the sign resides. In other words, if you’re driving at 30 MPH through a 30 MPH zone and you’re about to enter a zone that allows you to drive at 50MPH, it is technically illegal to begin accelerating beyond 30 MPH until you’ve reached the sign indicating the higher speed limit.

Contrary to what people may try to tell you, by the letter of the law there is no “buffer” or grace period near a speed limit sign, which is why you’ll notice that when the speed decreases drastically, you may see a helpful warning sign telling you this before the actual speed limit sign so you’re not having to suddenly slam on the brakes to get down to the posted limit before you reach the sign.

Reactions: DocHolliday
This is technically illegal, so Tesla will never do it:

Any signposted speed limit comes into effect at the exact point the sign resides. In other words, if you’re driving at 30 MPH through a 30 MPH zone and you’re about to enter a zone that allows you to drive at 50MPH, it is technically illegal to begin accelerating beyond 30 MPH until you’ve reached the sign indicating the higher speed limit.

Contrary to what people may try to tell you, by the letter of the law there is no “buffer” or grace period near a speed limit sign, which is why you’ll notice that when the speed decreases drastically, you may see a helpful warning sign telling you this before the actual speed limit sign so you’re not having to suddenly slam on the brakes to get down to the posted limit before you reach the sign.
Lol @ other carmakers doing it for years, but Elon being so truthful and ethical with his word that he’d NEVER do same thing.

“We will (among other things) create doctored videos faking FSD capabilities, but we’d never exceed the speed limit 10 feet before the sign. That would be wrong.”🤣

The list of signs that FSDb can read isn't very long sadly, it seems unable read most warning signs, doesn't read no right on red for instance.
Curiously, I had the car sit tight at a No Turn On Red sign while the light was red and didn't even try to creep up until the light changed to a blinking yellow. I sat there with my foot above the brake, ready to disengage FSDb if it jerked forward during the red, but it never moved an inch, despite having cars to the left occluding its view.

Once in a row, does not a fix make. But still curious that it behaved correctly at an intersection that it always tried to turn in the past.

• Informative
Reactions: mspohr
Lol @ other carmakers doing it for years, but Elon being so truthful and ethical with his word that he’d NEVER do same thing.

“We will (among other things) create doctored videos faking FSD capabilities, but we’d never exceed the speed limit 10 feet before the sign. That would be wrong.”🤣
Haha, OMG that's hilarious. So when I get pulled over by a cop, I can tell him it's Elon's fault and to give him the ticket instead? 🤦

I think it would improve AP and FSD if it would read the yellow "advice" signs.
Possibly, but I dont think it should obey them (perhaps just use them as warnings of upcoming curves etc), since almost no-one pays much attention to them, and you'd certainly get honked if FSD stuck to the advised speeds (and maybe even rear ended).

However, since this thread is about AP/TACC being used on winding roads (which the manual says its not designed for anyway), and FSD handles winding roads very well, I'm not sure there is much to be gained atm.

Possibly, but I dont think it should obey them (perhaps just use them as warnings of upcoming curves etc), since almost no-one pays much attention to them, and you'd certainly get honked if FSD stuck to the advised speeds (and maybe even rear ended).

However, since this thread is about AP/TACC being used on winding roads (which the manual says its not designed for anyway), and FSD handles winding roads very well, I'm not sure there is much to be gained atm.
AP and TACC would benefit from reading the warning signs and slowing down more for curves.

name one brand+model that speeds up in anticipation of the speed limit rising up. I would like to test it out myself.

Reactions: zoomer0056
no, FSDb DOES read speed limit signs .. but only the mandatory ones not the advisory (yellow) ones.

I never said it doesn't READ them, I said it doesn't APPLY or actively REACT to a visual acquisition of a speed limit sign.

I have two speed limit signs that I pass, they are 15mph signs. For these signs maybe they are read, maybe not I don't know because the car does not change the speed limit as displayed in the car, nor does it even provide an in car visualization of the signs. I will note also that it NEVER visualizes these two signs, so it's not like it is trying and sometimes gets it and sometimes not. If it got them sometimes(and only sometimes, not all the time then I would agree to a higher extent that it is visually seeing them.

Clearly the car has speed limit data from somewhere, but I don't think it actually applies the correct speed limit until it passes the GPS location of where its data has marked an actual physical sign. This is just a theory right now based on what I think I have seen in the past..I just haven't been able to get in the right scenario to show a good example of it.

Here's a new one that I found yesterday as well... The car put a visualization for a speed limit sign where it was a different sign. On a crossroad on my right side, there was a stop sign for that traffic..my car got confused, put up a visualization of a sign(blank, then changed it to a speed limit sign as if it was facing me on the road I was on. So I think this shows that it is using visual data to put a visualization of signs on screen, but I am still not convinced it is applying and reacting to that data.

Proving that the car is visually reading signs AND reacting to them is a hard thing to PROVE...it is easier to DISPROVE, but even that can be suspect in certain situations(not all) because of the possibility that the car is using stored data to override visual data.

My data on my two 15mph signs is not a full DISPROOF, but it heavily leans in that direction.

Rolling through a STOP sign is one thing.

Going 3-4mph over or under a posted speed limit a few feet before the actual speed limit sign, is quite the other.

One has MUCH higher risk of t boning or getting t boned. The other? Not so much

Just a comment about this... rolling through a stop sign is illegal but Tesla allowed that...Granted it was a user selectable feature but they still implemented it....till they had to take it away because yea, its illegal.
So it's a game of whack-a-mole with regulators? "Let's have our ADAS features break the law and see if NHTSA notices." What is this, a Folgers commercial?

• Funny
Reactions: enemji
I mean, im guessing slamming into stationary emergency vehicles is also a violation of some law...but that hasnt slowed Elon down much has it? 🤣
So funny, 2101. Yes, Teala coded the cars to seek and slam into emergency vehicles wherever possible. Stop being so obtuse. There's a massive difference between coding the car to do something, and the car doing something that was unintentional. California stop was an intentional feature, and was smacked down by regulators and removed. Slamming into emergency vehicles is not intentional.

Explain. How is it gross incompetence? I'm really curious how you come to that conclusion.
Your original statement was that the car(s) did not intentionally hit the emergency vehicles, which of course is correct. My obvious conclusion is that the vehicles slammed into emergency vehicles because the code (FSD and/or Autopilot) was buggy. And I contend it is grossly incompetent to write and release "full self driving" code that will slam into an emergency vehicle at full speed.

You can say the driver was at fault, and I don't disagree. But that doesn't change the fact that the code was grossly incapable of performing "full self driving".

Reactions: 2101Guy