Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter Tires - Michelin X-Ice Xi3 vs. Nokian Hakka R2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
mkonx: The asfalt-quality in Norway is generally very poor so that might contribute... I also overinflate the tires 10% (20% total since nokian states that you should\must use 10% more due to soft rubber compound).

William: TC often kicks in after I had driven over 2000 miles as well, but road-quality + overinflation probably contributes, but not on the stock GY`s in the summer (except for in heavy rain).

I think this recommendation comes more as a result of the common diff in temps between where you fill the air (garage) and the outside. Here is a faq entry from Nokian about this http://www.nokiantires.com/innovation/facts-about-tires/tire-inflation-tips/.

That makes sense. I always check mine after sitting in ambient outside temperature for a while (i.e. overnight) and re-calibrate several times a year as the seasons change. I can see the problem where, for example, a nice warm tire shop sets the pressure to spec and then the customer drives out into the real world.

That makes sense. I always check mine after sitting in ambient outside temperature for a while (i.e. overnight) and re-calibrate several times a year as the seasons change. I can see the problem where, for example, a nice warm tire shop sets the pressure to spec and then the customer drives out into the real world.

There is a chart that shows how much adjustment is required for indoor inflation at various low temperatures based on the initial vehicle placard pressure. Note that adjusting tire pressure for conditions is not over/underinflation. The vehicle placard pressure is not a maximum, it's a starting point.

It seems the limit for high tireinflation is 55 psi. A broken airpump made me relize this and got it confirmed at a service senter later. Acvording to Nokian the tires has no problem with 60 psi, but handling begins to suffer at that high pressure. I use 51 psi and that works great ☺

After deciding on the Michelin X-Ice Xi3 from a reputable local tire shop, I had to wait until "fall" to get them as they were not out yet. This week I called and their wholesaler was not able to get them until mid-November. Looking on TireRack, a similar date for availability. It appears that Michelin is not taking into account that many places have snow by October and waiting until a projected date of availability of mid-November just isn't going to cut it. If I wait until November and then they are late or something happens, I have the potential to be SOL as all of the other winter tires in that size have already been snapped up. Seems like as a tire manufacturer you would want to have your stock out BEFORE the season starts. That sealed the deal for me - Nokians it is. They were in stock and effectively the same price. Call me ultra conservative, but I'm not risking driving on summer performance tires with winter weather on the way. Michelin, you just lost a sale to Nokian. I'll update the thread after the first few snowfalls to provide feedback.

I put down a deposit on Nokian R2s last weekend. Went and spoke to the guy at Kal Tire about R2 vs. X-Ice Xi3 for Vancouver climate. My usage would be primarily city (so lots of rain, possibly snow / slushy for up to 10 days or so, temperature usually above freezing) plus a few trips up to the mountains where it is proper winter, heavy snow conditions and colder. He strongly recommended the R2s, his opinion was that the Xi3 were very much more a colder weather ice tire.

That's weird, because I have a similar usage case to you, and I have heard exactly the opposite.

I put down a deposit on Nokian R2s last weekend. Went and spoke to the guy at Kal Tire about R2 vs. X-Ice Xi3 for Vancouver climate. My usage would be primarily city (so lots of rain, possibly snow / slushy for up to 10 days or so, temperature usually above freezing) plus a few trips up to the mountains where it is proper winter, heavy snow conditions and colder. He strongly recommended the R2s, his opinion was that the Xi3 were very much more a colder weather ice tire.

It's actually the complete opposite... That being said you made the right choice. You can't beat Nokian when it comes to winter tires

After deciding on the Michelin X-Ice Xi3 from a reputable local tire shop, I had to wait until "fall" to get them as they were not out yet. This week I called and their wholesaler was not able to get them until mid-November. Looking on TireRack, a similar date for availability. It appears that Michelin is not taking into account that many places have snow by October and waiting until a projected date of availability of mid-November just isn't going to cut it. If I wait until November and then they are late or something happens, I have the potential to be SOL as all of the other winter tires in that size have already been snapped up. Seems like as a tire manufacturer you would want to have your stock out BEFORE the season starts. That sealed the deal for me - Nokians it is. They were in stock and effectively the same price. Call me ultra conservative, but I'm not risking driving on summer performance tires with winter weather on the way. Michelin, you just lost a sale to Nokian. I'll update the thread after the first few snowfalls to provide feedback.

As a person in the same climate, I have the nokians and I won't be putting my winter tires on until late November or early December just for the sake of tire wear and driving enjoyment. I have driven the Model S in the snow on the 21" rims and performance tires, it handles a lot better than other cars. In the event you get caught in a early "light dusting", I wouldn't worry about it. For what it's worth, I own both the michelin xice and the nokians on 2 different cars and there is no comparison. The nokians win hands down in every way.

As a person in the same climate, I have the nokians and I won't be putting my winter tires on until late November or early December just for the sake of tire wear and driving enjoyment. I have driven the Model S in the snow on the 21" rims and performance tires, it handles a lot better than other cars. In the event you get caught in a early "light dusting", I wouldn't worry about it. For what it's worth, I own both the michelin xice and the nokians on 2 different cars and there is no comparison. The nokians win hands down in every way.

Even dry and cold/wet pavement?

Maybe there's some kind of extra shipping/tariff? Or does NAFTA prevent that? All in all, I'd still have bought them even if $25/wheel more. I mean... c'mon... they look awesome! :biggrin:

I hope not since I already paid $350USD for shipping and $100CAD import duty. And yes, they do look pretty sweet (though one arrived chipped).

Tsportline raised the price from 1500 to 1600 after the first shipment of wheels. Newscutter and I were in the first shipment!

Ah, this makes sense. I thought they just liked ripping off Canadians, eh? :wink:

Back on topic now; My Nokians arrived last Friday and I got them successfully mounted and stored (man, they seem heavy!). I'm going to put them on this weekend (about a month early) because I'll be traveling all over the country for the next several weeks and I don't want to be stuck in my 21's if there's a freak snowstorm in Ontario. I'll just be on the highway, not the track, so hopefully the winter tire squishiness won't be too noticeable.

TST turbine-look wheels $1500
TPMS $400
Nokian Tires (varies) $1000
---------------------------
$2900 AND look awesome.

No Aeros for me thanks.

What about center caps and lug nuts if you're changing from silver to grey wheels? How easy are these to get?

- - - Updated - - -

... Bought TPMS from Tirerack....

No idea what i'm looking for on Tire Rack for TPMS. Can you share a link for the correct one?