Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would you buy again FSD today?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Obviously older folks would benefit greatly from autonomous vehicles and so would everyone with a cancer cure. But no large company is truly about helping people, it's about making money. And if what they are doing costs too much to continue, then they will end it.
all technology has this “early adopter tax” to it. Y’all probably know phones used to cost tens of thousands of dollars back then but as more people started using it, that changed-quite quickly. I’m willing to bet my life savings on the fact that this is going to happen to FSD too. It’s going to be a standard moving forward, not a luxury

Reactions: Yelobird
I know I've mentioned this elsewhere, but seemingly not here: when you think about shelling out $12K for this software, better make sure your insurer will cover its replacement, if your car is totaled. Ours was, and we got no value for the software. So, you could easily buy a Tesla with FSD installed, get totaled coming out the parking lot, and be out $12K. (FWIW, we got FSD on a CPO Tesla on a car that was at a price I'd have been happy to buy without it; it was a bonus.)

On an only tangentially related note, I'm still not clear about how many people who spend $72K on their car (with FSD) are actually going to rent it out as a robotaxi. Personally, I'm not sure I'd EVER do it, but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't do it until I knew it could do things like avoid pot holes and other things like that. Even then, how many hours per day does this thing need to be abused by random people to make it worthwhile?

I wouldn't be surprised if Tesla's approach is the best way to get to this future, but I'm pretty sure that most FSD beta testers are paving the way for a future in which Tesla is the disproportionate beneficiary of the two.
Did your insurance know your car had FSD, because if not then for sure they wouldn't have covered it. But I completely understand what you are saying. Even when selling or trading in the car FSD's value is reduced which is ridiculous because it's software that is constantly improving. So how can it have a depreciated value? I think maybe this is why having the car covered by Tesla insurance is actually a better thing perhaps.

And yeah I'd never rent out my expensive Tesla to strangers for the robotaxi thing. The cabin camera can't see rear occupants as they cut up the seats. Imagine the car picking up a load of gangbangers, you know they would damage the car. But then again I don't think a Tesla robotaxi fleet will happen in my lifetime anyway, there are too many obstacle for Tesla to overcome.

Reactions: Catbiscuits
Just because something is insured it doesn't mean the car will ever be the same again. And a vehicle with an accident on its record has a lower resale value. Plus, there are deductibles you have to pay with insurance.
Sure - you could say the same thing with AirBNB, though.

Ofcourse I’d never give my car for rent, nor host strangers in my house.

But if it calculates to be a decent business proposition - will buy cars/houses specifically to rent.

Please elaborate. I do not think Teslas are going to replace all cars.

How many taxis currently operate in your city? How many Teslas? What is your expected density of Teslas required for service, and how much would each Tesla bring in under this scenario? How much of a cut is Tesla going to take? What are the barriers to entry for other Tesla owners? Competing taxi/rideshare/robotaxi companies?

These are the type of questions you have to think about when determining a return on investment in a robotaxi business. I still contend that an individually owned Tesla robotaxi will be unprofitable for a single owner.

Also, keep in mind that FSD is now $15k.
Alot of Ifs. Car ownership will be a thing of the past. Think bigger.

If you really want a new Tesla listen to me, DON'T trade in. Just sell it to third party vendors, use that money and pay for another tesla perhaps a model y. Note that there is a max limit to down payment though. Put the maximum amount of the 50k that you can into downpayment and use the rest of the money to subscribe to FSD
Are you saying there is a down payment MAX when financing through TESLA, or are you saying you are not able to select your desired down payment no matter who finances your purchase???

I am planning on buying a model 3 and debating whether to get FSD vs nothing. According to what I have found on the forums even after I pay the 15k I have to have a certain drivers score to use FSD beta right? I just want to make sure I am understanding this correctly. And if you do not get that driving score then you cannot use it correct? if that is the case I feel like it is really wrong to make someone pay 15k and they do not even get the feature based on their driving habits.

I am planning on buying a model 3 and debating whether to get FSD vs nothing. According to what I have found on the forums even after I pay the 15k I have to have a certain drivers score to use FSD beta right? I just want to make sure I am understanding this correctly. And if you do not get that driving score then you cannot use it correct? if that is the case I feel like it is really wrong to make someone pay 15k and they do not even get the feature based on their driving habits.

4BC8139F-B907-4A8C-9080-0E6648ABA7C2.jpeg

This is what you get right now (no safe driving required!). It’s $6k for one set of features, and $9k additional for the other set. The Autosteer on City Streets is what requires the Safety Score now but in the next few weeks it looks like that should become very lax (unclear when it the actual full expansion of FSD Beta to SS80+ will occur).

Note there is no promise of any self-driving feature in any of the above (including Autosteer on City Streets, off the screen). L2.

Last edited:
EAP is your best option for now if you want more than basic AP. Buying FSD adds very little value above EAP at this point, unless you’re eager to get FSD Beta. When FSD offers enough additional value to make it worthwhile, you can do a monthly FSD subscription (currently $100/month if you have EAP).

IMO, if you're considering giving Elon $15k for FSD, then you haven't done enough research.

View attachment 862715
This is what you get right now (no safe driving required!). It’s $6k for one set of features, and $9k additional for the other set. The Autosteer on City Streets is what requires the Safety Score now but in the next few weeks it looks like that should become very lax (unclear when it the actual full expansion of FSD Beta to SS80+ will occur).

Note there is no promise of any self-driving feature in any of the above (including Autosteer on City Streets, off the screen). L2.

EAP is your best option for now if you want more than basic AP. Buying FSD adds very little value above EAP at this point, unless you’re eager to get FSD Beta. When FSD offers enough additional value to make it worthwhile, you can do a monthly FSD subscription (currently $100/month if you have EAP).
Thank you this is helpful. I have done some research, but just found the FSD beta thing kind of confusing with people talking about scores on this forum.

... According to what I have found on the forums even after I pay the 15k I have to have a certain drivers score to use FSD beta right?...
Right on!

... And if you do not get that driving score then you cannot use it correct?
Correct again.

... if that is the case I feel like it is really wrong to make someone pay 15k and they do not even get the feature based on their driving habits.

Yes. You got the right idea.

But it's a free country. Tesla does not force anyone to pay $15,000. It's voluntary.

Thank you this is helpful. I have done some research, but just found the FSD beta thing kind of confusing with people talking about scores on this forum.
Autosteer on City Streets is not available today to the general public. It is shown as “Coming soon” on the web site. There is a beta test program available that you can apply to participate in if you want to. But it is definitely not ready for prime time. It makes lots of mistakes and many folks consider it quite dangerous. Tesla makes no apologies for its failings, you must agree to accept its often poor decisions and take full responsibility for safe operation of your vehicle. You also must apply to the program and have your driving monitored by Tesla for a period of time to get in. If you are up for that, go for it. It is far from complete and screws up a lot.

I signed up for it. It took three months of monitored driving for me to get in, even though I had it on the car I traded in. I had a safety score of 100 through most of the monitored period, dropping to 99 in the last week. I tend to look at the good things it is capable of, and report it when it screws up.

You can get most of the features including FSD on highways, which is actually quite good. Just purchase Enhanced Auto Pilot for $6,000. You can buy city streets later if/when it comes to pass.