Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

You all have about talked me out of a Tesla altogether...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, there's always bias in forums for people to post issues and problems. Very few people will make a post out of the blue that they have had no problems, as that makes zero sense to do. <snip>
Yeah, and if anyone with a brand new account posted what amounted to a unsolicited commercial for buying a Tesla and why it's the greatest thing since sliced bread, undoubtedly others would flame them for being a Tesla employee.

As for me, no major problems to report after 5 years and a bit less than 30K miles. I replaced the 12V battery a year ago just because I didn't want any problems in that area while I was on a trip. Numerous reports of the battery dying after 3-4 years without any warning but that seems to have been resolved with a software update (which better monitors the charging) and gives you a notice, along with not letting the car go to sleep and locking you out. Not sure if the newer Li-ion 12ish volt battery will do any better as I still think it's a bit too early to tell. Front upper control arms were re-sealed but I've never had the creak and squeak noise. Cabin air filter replaced by mobile service and used an aftermarket set that I had won in a contest. Had mobile service do one of the first upgrades of the HW2.5 computer to HW3 in my driveway. The only major cost so far has been a pair of rear tires (fronts are still factory originals) caused when one of the back tires had a second puncture too close to the sidewall and both were close to being replaced anyway.

The car that my 2018 3 replaced was a 2000 E46 323i which I ran into the ground. Had my fair share of problems with it, the main one being that the window regulators would break on a regular :) basis. First couple were fixed under warranty but then I had to pay for several more. Always seemed to have a $1000+ repair bill every year or so after the warranty expired. One expensive thing that was covered was the sunroof cassette. That had problems just after the warranty expired but BMW covered it. The only thing which impressed me about the car was that it still had the original clutch after 160K miles.

So yeah, there's no car which is completely problem-free. But my 3 has been move more dependable (and cheaper to own) than the Bimmer in the same amount of time.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: DocHolliday
Goodness, please don't get an ICE. I'm guessing you haven't driven an EV much (ever?). You will never want to drive a gas car again. I would choose any Tesla over any BMW any day of the week. And that's after being through a drive unit replacement with my MY.

My advice would be - if you're inclined to being a worrier or reading lots of internet forums causing you to second guess things, stay off the forums unless you really need help with something.

You have the advantage of relatively short wait times for delivery these days (as opposed to crazy wait times 1-2 years ago). So if there are paint or fit/finish issues, you can just reject a delivery and wait for the next car. Or have them correct things upon delivery.

Do yourself a favor and get an EV and don't look back.

I came from a 3-series and love my Model 3. Hard to imagine going back to a BMW as my primary vehicle. Teslas aren’t perfect by any means, and BMW is definitely better in terms of luxury and fit and finish. But I personally care more about the tech and driving experience.

Autopilot is great and hard to imagine living without, although I hear other manufacturers lane-keep is getting very good as well. FSD is cool to play around with but not something I’d buy the car for. Definitely don’t put too much stock in the value of FSD or Elon’s promises around it.

I think this forum serves as an outlet for frustrations with Tesla in a way you don’t see with other car manufacturers because of all the Tesla haters and fanboys. There’s a whole group of people on places like Twitter and even in the real world who believe everything Elon says and think that any issue you have is misinformation spread by short sellers. It leads to people going in with unrealistic expectations.

On reliability- I have 95k on our 2018 Model 3 Long Range with no major issues outside of warranty. AP computer and upper control arms replaced under warranty. I wouldn’t buy a used older Model S or X, but newer 3/Y particularly seem pretty solid.

Last edited:
I'll offer an unusual perspective. I was recently in the service center getting my car worked on (replacing MCU1 with MCU2 at a good price, so Yay Tesla! on that). Having nothing to do, I just sat in the service center lobby all day. I spoke with a lot of people, some charging and some getting repairs done. Even the people there for repairs were very positive. The only negative, which I heard over and over, was that the delivery experience was really bad.
I'm 8 years into Tesla ownership. I have my complaints and may come off negative. I may not buy another Tesla. Overall, though, I wouldn't advise anyone else NOT to buy for themselves.

As a Tesla observer, following comments:
- degradation isn't seemingly an issue. Just accept that there will be some initial degradation. Other manufacturers hide it with a bigger top buffer, where Tesla prefers to have the bigger range number.
- build quality is inconsistent, so your best bet if you don't want a pig in a poke is to arrange to pick up the new car at a service center so you can take a look before it's yours. Obvously, you have to be willing to turn it down and wait longer for the car. People have created delivery guides of what to check when you get it, so you know what to get listed to be fixed.
- if you don't have a close service center, have an idea of what you'll do if your car has to be in the shop for a while. They give Uber credits for warranty repairs, but for some people it's inadequate.

Reactions: Benito1283
I was going to purchase a M3P in a year or so [...] now leaning towards a 2024 BMW 5 series.
Any unbiased thoughts / comments would be appreciated...

Yeah, but did you REALISTICALLY expect unbiased comments from a forum dedicated to a particular car brand?

Your vehicle comparison is nonsensical.
You are either into EVs, and then go shopping across EV brands, or you are into luxury cars, and you cross-shop luxury cars.
Model 3 is not a luxury car, but it is an EV.
There are many luxury EVs in BMW (i4/i5), MB (EQB, EQE), and Audi/Porsche lineup (eTron, Taycan). 5-series isn't one of them.

Either way, I sincerely hope that you will not get influenced by opinionated strangers on the internet, will go and test drive a few cars for yourself, and will form your own opinion. Any other form of feedback will NEVER be unbiased or (frankly) trustworthy.

Good luck either way,
a

Reactions: DocHolliday
I do not recommend Tesla to just anybody. It's still emerging tech that requires a very different mindset to be able to appreciate the purchase. They're getting so popular that people make the mistake of comparing them to a comparably priced ICE. That's the biggest mistake, IMO.

Tesla is absolutely outmatched in build quality by comparably priced ICE cars. By a long shot. You can't go into it thinking you're gonna get that same feeling you get from some BMWs or Merc Benzs that are the same price.

You have to be all about the BEV. You have to be all about a virtual computer on wheels and all the differences in ownership that entails. If you think you can overlook the rattles, the louder and stiffer ride, the substandard paint and construction, in favor of the incredible innovation and very rarely ever having to recharge the car away from home then you may enjoy it.

And if you ARE all about the BEV, then Tesla is the clear winner and it's not even close. Especially if you need to travel away from home and need a wider, almost infinitely more reliable charging infrastructure. Also, given all the quirks in the computer on wheels, Tesla has had more time to figure out many of the little gremlins that can pop up. Their OTA software update process is wonky by software development standards, but LIGHTYEARS ahead of other car manufacturers. So they're able to address issues much quicker than other BEV makers.

People mistakenly think if they get a Ford or GM BEV that they will be covered when it comes to service since there's a Ford dealership right down the street. But what they don't realize is that Ford dealership still does the vast majority of their maintenance on ICE cars and may have very few techs (if any, depending on where you live) certified to service a BEV. And yes, Tesla has parts availability issues, but I would bet that every other BEV manufacturer does too since they're all making WAY fewer cars than Tesla is at the moment.

TL/DR,
Owning a Tesla is much different experience than a comparable ICE car. You need to do a lot of research in order to avoid possible disappointment.

Hi everyone,
I was going to purchase a M3P in a year or so (waiting for Project Highland at a minimum) so I found this forum to learn and be around a bunch of other Tesla enthusiasts. After reading the posts I'm now leaning towards a 2024 BMW 5 series.

I was/am most excited about FSD. I don't think anyone else comes close to Tesla in this regard. But after reading what feels like a constant stream of threads regarding issues with Tesla vehicles in general I'm concerned that this not worth the hassle. Everything from battery degradation, paint issues, fit and finish issues (I mean there's check lists on things to go over when you receive the car because of all the issues), problems getting service, issues with random errors, etc. I'm wondering I should just purchase 5 series.

I know that people tend to complain on forums versus the people who are happy not generally posting and I'm hoping that's what this is.

Honestly, I would have thought asking on this forum would have been like asking on MacRumors if I should be an iPhone of some android version but judging by the posts, maybe not?

Any unbiased thoughts / comments would be appreciated... am I just reading too much into all the negative posts and these are a small percentage relative to the actual number of vehicles sold? Or am I going to be constantly dealing with minor issues from the car?
If you want luxury fit and finish, quick fill-up and no waiting for charging (which are basically equivalent in cost when supercharging), and the BMW branding, I would go for the BMW.

If you want instant torque resulting in a much quicker car than a 5 series (a ton of fun), cool infotainment system with plenty of updates, and possibly a ton of creeks, squeaks, and don't mind supercharging, get the Tesla!

If you are old-school and don't want to deal with tech that is unrefined, save yourself the headache and don't buy a Tesla.

There is such a large base that you are unlikely the first person to have the issue. As a result there are often already solutions to the problems you faced just by the sheer number of Teslas out there. That is a huge advantage. Most of the issues have been discussed inside out so you probably have so many perspectives and can likely find one that applies to your situation.

on top of it - EV's are incredibly simple machines mechanically. Electronically as well as all action here happens centrally, rather than an insane network of tiny computers in legacy ICE and some legacy wanna-be EV's

I do not recommend Tesla to just anybody. It's still emerging tech that requires a very different mindset to be able to appreciate the purchase.

Actually - that is an excellent point that I never though about.
If it was my wife alone, she'd never buy a Tesla. In-fact, most of my friends don't "qualify" as tesla owners as the tech would be FAR outside their comfort zone.

Sometimes I feel as if I live in a parallel universe. In my universe, the car has almost no problems (3.5 years, 70k miles).

The biggest disconnect concerns FSDb. In my world, it works really well although I need to take over now and then.
no issues with my 2019 Model 3 AWD ... mechnically super solid... i just can't use TACC / AP anymore on hot sunny days on roadtrips because phantom braking galore (some very hard) since they deleted my radar last year....

BMW 5 series is a solid choice for traditional ICE. If you ask me the biggest difference between the two is the drivetrain. The smooth and quick acceleration of EV is very addictive.

The only major concern I see for going EV is range. You have to assess your own situation. Home charging is absolutely necessary. How many miles you drive each day. How many super charge session do you need annually.

FSD is not worth the $$ in my opinion. If it is low cost then sure.

At the end of the day it is just a car. Why not leap into the EV world and try for yourself. If you don't like it, just sell it. Since you can afford a brand new BMW depreciation, I am sure taking a hit on trade in is not that big of a deal. Consider it the price of trying out the new tech.

Reactions: SalisburySam
Car specific forums tend to attract enthusiasts and will tend to be more nitpicky than the general populace. Check out Lexus forums and you'll see the same thing. It probably won't be build quality related 😁 but there will still be issues. Reliable cars aren't immune to it.

My advice is not to overthink it. Drive both. It'll probably take you less than 5 minutes to decide which one you like more.

I came into Tesla 4 years ago and came from an M5 (E60 with the v10 engine). The Tesla is probably the best car I've ever purchased, and we are so happy with it. While almost every negative experience gets posted on here, very few good to great ones ever do because who wants to hear about how amazingly normal it is that my car performs exactly like I think it should?

When I walk up to it, the door handles pop out and I can get inside. No push button start, just step on brake, place in gear, and go. When I get where I need to be, just hit the park button on the stalk, open the door, and walk away. It locks itself and shuts down. I happened to get one with free unlimited supercharging, so I haven't had to pay for electricity in 4 years since there's 3 superchargers within 4 miles of my house.

When I pull up to a red light, I can choose to be faster than just about every car off the line. But I don't even choose that anymore, I go just fast enough for myself. If I need to pick up something off the floor or in the storage compartment I can use autopilot for a bit, so I can be confident it probably won't crash into anything while I hunt for my sunglasses. The air suspension irons out road imperfections, and I also appreciate that it reminds me when the light turns from red to green with a soft "ding" so I don't hold up traffic. I can watch Hulu or Netflix when sitting at the charger. And with the split rear seat, my family of four can head up to the mountains to ski/snowboard or go to the lake for fishing, with our big equipment stored along the single rear right side.

All in all, I've been so happy with this car. But I don't feel any need to say that out loud often, or at least as often as those who have negative experiences. Good luck in your search, don't let the confirmation bias of an internet forum dissuade you from getting a very good vehicle.

I think if you came to this forum to decide on a car buying,
decision, you may be in the wrong place. 99% of the folks here love
our cars. We come here to:
1. ask dumb questions
2. find solutions to issues
3. Have a little fun
4. Bitch about all kinds of stuff
5. Talk about tires and crashes
If you go back 4 or 5 years you can see the true progression
of Tesla. If you sort out the bias and phony posts you will see
what we see or go rent one for a month. And yes some of us read
every post so its easy to see issues that have been addressed years ago.

• Funny
Reactions: Konicom04
Hi everyone,
I was going to purchase a M3P in a year or so (waiting for Project Highland at a minimum) so I found this forum to learn and be around a bunch of other Tesla enthusiasts. After reading the posts I'm now leaning towards a 2024 BMW 5 series.

I was/am most excited about FSD. I don't think anyone else comes close to Tesla in this regard. But after reading what feels like a constant stream of threads regarding issues with Tesla vehicles in general I'm concerned that this not worth the hassle. Everything from battery degradation, paint issues, fit and finish issues (I mean there's check lists on things to go over when you receive the car because of all the issues), problems getting service, issues with random errors, etc. I'm wondering I should just purchase 5 series.

I know that people tend to complain on forums versus the people who are happy not generally posting and I'm hoping that's what this is.

Honestly, I would have thought asking on this forum would have been like asking on MacRumors if I should be an iPhone of some android version but judging by the posts, maybe not?

Any unbiased thoughts / comments would be appreciated... am I just reading too much into all the negative posts and these are a small percentage relative to the actual number of vehicles sold? Or am I going to be constantly dealing with minor issues from the car?
What you have to remember is (a) no-one ever posts "My Tesla is working Fine" stuff .. so by definition you only hear about problems (the vocal minority), and that (b) it's Tesla forum, you wont see people posting about how their Ford Mach-E cant charge properly etc.

Choose a random car maker, find an active independent forum for that maker, spend some time there. You won't want to buy that brand either.

iv'e had an M3AWD for 4+ years now and the only thing I've had done is changing the 12V battery after 2 years at my request as a precaution. And they did that with a quick visit to my home in about 3- mins. And apart from the tires wearing out that's the sum total of stuff I've had to worry about (apart from that occasional wash).

My post
Two Ts and we are ecstatic, never go back to ICE and maybe never leave Tesla, only grow the ecosystem in our lives: TLSA, power-wall, solar, Optimus, etc

Back to Dan1978
Most of us are here and own Teslas for many reasons
it’s about the ecosystem, everything wrapped around the vehicle and living with it
It’s about the environment and sustainability
It’s about Tesla’s leadership in EVs

It’s not about the best four wheels rolling down the road

Reactions: PianoAl