Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2013 S85 Battery Replacement (Out of warranty) - my experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m going to raise hell if the 85 performs similar to my old 85. They assured me they are “upgraded” 85s with new technology. The range should be back to what it was if bought new with the increased super charger speeds. @kirkusss

I’m assuming if this was under warranty they would give me something that mimics the old degraded battery. But since I’m buying new they are giving me a “fresh” battery.

Remanufactured per spec . On the phone they said it’s pretty much identical to the 90 in terms of super charge speeds and will act similarly to a new battery. So I think they will give me a 90 and lock it to 85 as they did to yours.

I believe the 90 was $17.8k out the door. I didn’t think the 5kw was worth an extra 2k. I just wanted higher expected range of what I had now in addition to the better super charge rates. They assured me the range was going to be better with this “new” 85.

View attachment 913013Great info. Fingers crossed that they send you new 90 kWh instead. Pricing similar to mine from last Oct.

Battery Replacement 1.pngBattery Replacement 2.pngBattery replacement 3.png

Reactions: ericl
I’m going to raise hell if the 85 performs similar to my old 85. They assured me they are “upgraded” 85s with new technology. The range should be back to what it was if bought new with the increased super charger speeds.
I wish you good luck with that. As far as I know refurb 85s, are still just 85s. It could be a newer 85 than your 2014, but I wouldn't personally expect it to be much different.

I would spend the extra money and get a new 14 module pack, that absolutely has newer technology in it.

I wish you good luck with that. As far as I know refurb 85s, are still just 85s. It could be a newer 85 than your 2014, but I wouldn't personally expect it to be much different.

I would spend the extra money and get a new 14 module pack, that absolutely has newer technology in it.
They said there was no difference in the supercharge speeds between the 85 and the 90. Both are upgrades compared to what I currently have.

Remanufactured per spec . On the phone they said it’s pretty much identical to the 90 in terms of super charge speeds and will act similarly to a new battery. So I think they will give me a 90 and lock it to 85 as they did to yours.

I believe the 90 was $17.8k out the door. I didn’t think the 5kw was worth an extra 2k. I just wanted higher expected range of what I had now in addition to the better super charge rates. They assured me the range was going to be better with this “new” 85.

View attachment 913013
Here is a thread from 2019 about that reman part number: What battery did tesla install in my MS?

They seemed not happy with the Supercharging speed... (And they were newer revisions than what your quote lists.)

Reactions: NV Ray
Here is a thread from 2019 about that reman part number: What battery did tesla install in my MS?

They seemed not happy with the Supercharging speed... (And they were newer revisions than what your quote lists.)
Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I would be amazed they are still using that part from 4 years ago. Or they simply just plugged in a random 85 code. They assured me that either battery was a significant upgrade over my existing one and difference is just 5kwh. Rolling the dice!!!

Attachments

• 2E79A5C9-6EF7-497F-AA14-6B7EF6EEB186.jpeg
    2E79A5C9-6EF7-497F-AA14-6B7EF6EEB186.jpeg
    343.7 KB · Views: 81
I’m going to raise hell if the 85 performs similar to my old 85. They assured me they are “upgraded” 85s with new technology. The range should be back to what it was if bought new with the increased super charger speeds. @kirkusss

I’m assuming if this was under warranty they would give me something that mimics the old degraded battery. But since I’m buying new they are giving me a “fresh” battery.
No 85 with upgraded SC speed exist to my knowledge. Based on that code, the B version was a 2013-2014

No 85 with upgraded SC speed exist to my knowledge. Based on that code, the B version was a 2013-2014
Yup which is why I didn’t think the charge code was correct. That pack is a dinosaur. Think they just entered something random. I called and they are actually giving me a 90 14 cell pack.

I want to give a big thanks for everyone in this thread. Saved me $4k by simply selecting the cheaper option but still receive the newer pack!!!

Attachments

• 5256D54D-E535-4D44-9812-34836E86BD75.jpeg
    5256D54D-E535-4D44-9812-34836E86BD75.jpeg
    213.4 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
2014 85s with AP1. One of the first 100 to have AP so I’m hoping to keep it foreverrrrr. See previous post for more information.

Another question @MP3Mike is that does the 16 cell and the 14 cell offer similar supercharging speeds???

@NV Ray I will ask them for a “cheapest” option and see if they offer the 85 but it was not explicitly given to me over the phone.
16 cell supercharging: ~300 MPH (400V)
14 Cell Supercharging: ~400 MPH (350V)
from what my 14 cell is doing. BTW 90% range on the 14 (if unlocked as a 90) should be about 265.
Also, I noticed that acceleration is a bit better on the new pack,

Reactions: ericl and NV Ray