Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm assuming he means to use the Starlink to cell handset features that SpaceX is working with T-Mobile, and other cellular providers, on. No extra hardware needed. (Maybe e-SIM since they come with an AT&T SIM?)

Won't work since this requires the carrier (T-Mobil) to devote an amount of their 5G spectrum to the NEW cell service. Tesla's don't have 5G chips and uses AT&T 4G/LTE.

EDIT: There is chance some newer Tesla's or future models will have 5G chips but I don't believe any have been installed so far.

......In a nutshell, T-Mobile and SpaceX aim to use low-orbit satellites to improve cellular coverage on existing 5G smartphones across the United States....As for how it works, SpaceX will use its Starlink satellites to broadcast a new network using T-Mobile’s mid-band spectrum.....

Last edited:
Where are you getting the 5G requirement from? Their site only mentions LTE, and that IoT devices will work as well. (Which normally are not 5G from what I have seen.)
Tmobile says just text at first and they will test voice and data next year. It doesn't sound like it could be this year. Tmobile said that Starlink would access their midband spectrum.

It seems to be clear this solution isn't to give super fast connections, just extending it and eliminating dead spots.

Hoping for YouTube Music app.🤞

The only downside is that currently our Spotify is only for the car so is a mixture of our two tastes. It would be lovely to cancel Spotify since we already pay for a YTMusic family account but until driver profiles can also sign us in/out of our YTMusic account, it won't be useful to me.

So many design decisions point to Tesla designers anticipating that the cars will be driven solely by one person. I understand that in the US it is unusual for a family of 2 or more drivers to only own one vehicle but Tesla is being sold around the world and in many other countries, single car families are more common than dual car families. And then there are those of us in NA who are trying to reduce our carbon footprint and believed Elon felt the same when he was pushing for mass adoption of EVs. Reducing carbon footprint also means sharing one car in a family, and moving to housing that takes up less space/energy or in a place that reduces the need for car trips entirely, which in most cases means living in a place (condo or rental) without charging at one's parking spot. Tesla is the natural choice for the latter due to the SC network and decent range, but drivers sharing a Tesla, while easy in theory, runs up against little issue like the sharing of music app profiles.

Reactions: heavymetalm8r
I'd appreciate documentation of all voice commands. Sometimes it is just that I haven't figured out the magic incantation. (Not sure if you are missing a magic incantation or not.)

I'd appreciate documentation of all voice commands. Sometimes it is just that I haven't figured out the magic incantation. (Not sure if you are missing a magic incantation or not.)
My 2022 YLR doesn't recognize speech nearly as good as it did when I got it. About 3 updates ago, (when the visualization distance was drastically reduced), it started having trouble with things like Fold mirrors => Bold mirrors, not understood, Cold mirrors, not understood, Gold mirrors, not understood, Hold mirrors, not understood - or - And => End, not found. It gets so many characters wrong, then the search can't find anything.

Reactions: Terminator857
But yet they save a lot of stuff to the driver's profile. Like the Spotify account, so each driver can have their own Spotify account. (I think that applies to Apple Music and Tidal as well.)

I didn't realize Spotify account is in the driver profile (we only have one account specifically for the car, so shared.) That gives me hope that we'll get the same if they add YTMusic.

I'm aware of this. But this is user generated so covers those found by users, not those programmed by Tesla.

Would be nice to get the elapsed time / total time back for the current song. And bring back the scrub bar.

Additional music sources would be nice, though I'll probably just hang on to Spotify. I hope most of the development effort has been focused on allowing 3rd party apps. This would benefit everyone:
  1. Tesla can offload most app development efforts to the 3rd party.
  2. 3rd party services can have control of the look/feel of their app in the car.
  3. 3rd party services can break into the Tesla ecosystem and market their products to Tesla owners without waiting for Tesla to decide to do it. This is how I ended up subscribing to Spotify.
  4. Owners will have more choice / capability in what their cars can do.
I suppose the 3rd party may grumble a bit about having to develop their own Tesla app (another mouth to feed) but I'd wager they'd find it worth having control over the UX/UI.

Reactions: Phlier
Nissan owns the patent for Birds Eye view parking. Tesla would have to pay them to implement it.
Here is a birds eye view patent from Hyundai:
There are plenty of ways to show camera views, that isn't encumbered by the patent, that will help with parking.
This wikipedia article talk about Nissan in 2007:
So if there is patent for that it will expire in a few years.
Nissan patent in 2006:

Last edited:
Here is a birds eye view patent from Hyundai:
There are plenty of ways to show camera views, that isn't encumbered by the patent, that will help with parking.
This wikipedia article talk about Nissan in 2007:
So if there is patent for that it will expire in a few years.
Nissan patent in 2006:
Elon promised and delivered the only Birds Eye View that is possible for FSD with vector space BEV. The CT is the only vehicle that has a front camera and the side cameras aren't facing down, so it still wont' provide what most are used to.