Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

24 hours with the Polestar 2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for the review.

Do you think the poor seat and ride quality is a quirk of this particular vehicle or more intrenched in the vehicle itself. I once had a car with adjustable suspension and it took a while to find a good compromise between driving scenarios. I wonder if suspension for this car had been setup for more track conditions? If that is the case, I would like to think that Polestar reset it back to a factory/road spec between handovers.

I get what you are saying about screen and volume, although I personally do not have an issue with volume, unless it decides to change nav volume instead. However, many cars have some traits that take a while to get use to, but some of Tesla's traits just do not go away with time. There are some features in a Tesla that you cannot rely on to behave the same from one operation to another and I am not convinced that may not become an issue in some situations.

But it has an issue common to all wheel mounted controls in that it’s not always in the same place. When manoeuvring for instance, it can be on the other side of the wheel and it’s operation reversed. You get used to it but I’d much prefer to have a primary volume control on the console.
I generally just manoeuvre rather than change volumes at the same time.
And if the volume knob were on the dash, I would be even less likely to be using it while turning the wheel.
My point is that the Tesla system is pretty good.
Thanks for the rest of the review- very interesting!

Great review. We have Pilot Assist on our XC40 and I agree with the lane changing. It’s so easy and smooth. I wish Tesla would fix this and adapt a bit better to normal driving changes.

I agree the auto steer has better implementation on other vehicles. However, you have to Remember that Elon’s ultimate aim is full level 5 self driving and a work in progress not a finished product.

Reactions: MrABRanch
Thanks Generator for writing the post. I wanted to mark it as informative AND funny.

Loved
The Polestar waits until you are somewhere near centre of lane before taking over steering. What it doesn’t do is what my Tesla does, which is suddenly lurch towards the middle of the lane, alarming me, the occupants of the car, every other car around me, and soiling the leathers of any following motorcyclists.

Absolutely true.
This is now part of my intro to Tesla package just so new folks understand it is still a work in process.

Sad to hear about the seats.
I really want Tesla to get some worthy competitors as I think they need that to get better.

Reactions: pilotSteve
Nice to see someone speaking objectively about the faults of both cars, good read.

I have a friend who was so close to buying a Model 3 LR but ultimately ordered a Polestar because he was worried about the low seating position & discomfort on his back because he periodically drives UK- southern Europe (also the interior styling & tech was a step too far for a traditionalist 65y old).

From reading this 24hr summary & of course the fact that he won't have the supercharger network, I sincerely hope he won't regret the decision.

Nice to see someone speaking objectively about the faults of both cars, good read.

I have a friend who was so close to buying a Model 3 LR but ultimately ordered a Polestar because he was worried about the low seating position & discomfort on his back because he periodically drives UK- southern Europe (also the interior styling & tech was a step too far for a traditionalist 65y old).

From reading this 24hr summary & of course the fact that he won't have the supercharger network, I sincerely hope he won't regret the decision.
Wouldn't want to get to the south of France without the SC network, but an ev sale is an ev sale and therefore a good thing!

Reactions: Doudeau
Well A great article very honestly written. Comments got a bit childish particularly about the volume control on the M3.

The point surely is that Elon , God Bless his soul, overdid the lack of 101 controls.
My M3 is a lot more user friendly since I bought a remote.
It would be even more friendly if it had buttons for the glove box,radio volume, and climate controls. A heads up display showing vital like speed would be a great addition. Buttons to open Boot and frunk from inside the car and auto opening would also be great.
A sensible door opening handle both inside and out would be helpful. I am tired of warning new passengers when opening doors.
Dont get me wrong I love my M3P but not for any of the above. Only 2 overriding advantages
1. SUPERCHARGER network
2. Acceleration
If others had a supercharger network I would certainly change to a Jaguar or a Volvo proper when they get their act together.

Reactions: EVNation and Ocelot
Terrific review, thanks.

I read somewhere else the boot release thing is a bit counter-intuitive. You're supposed to give a short, forward kick aimed at the centre of the bumper, rather than waft your foot around as you saw on the FC video. There is also a manual release - it is very low down on the bumper section, again not obvious.

• Helpful
Reactions: EVNation
Terrific review, thanks.

I read somewhere else the boot release thing is a bit counter-intuitive. You're supposed to give a short, forward kick aimed at the centre of the bumper, rather than waft your foot around as you saw on the FC video. There is also a manual release - it is very low down on the bumper section, again not obvious.

That makes sense - I had a Mercedes estate with a similar arrangement. I was told the trick is to imagine you are kicking a cat under the number plate. Worked fine so long as you were stood in the right place and aimed towards the front of the car.

(I didn't even know cats had number plates)

• Funny
Reactions: bicar and browellm
I thought that review was excellent. Maybe you should change the line to 'not an automotive journalist' ...yet!

I agree with the Tesla ACC. It could 'feather' things a bit better.

I have never tried adjusting Ohlins suspension...but seems might be fairly easy ie less than 5 minutes to do.

20191104_122523.jpg

Adjusting suspension settings Polestar Engineered* | Drive modes | Starting and driving | V60 Twin Engine 2020 Late | Volvo Support

I thought that review was excellent. Maybe you should change the line to 'not an automotive journalist' ...yet!

I agree with the Tesla ACC. It could 'feather' things a bit better.

I have never tried adjusting Ohlins suspension...but seems might be fairly easy ie less than 5 minutes to do.

20191104_122523.jpg

Adjusting suspension settings Polestar Engineered* | Drive modes | Starting and driving | V60 Twin Engine 2020 Late | Volvo Support
The fronts might be easily accessible but the rears are usually a different matter..