Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

7 years later what is your 100% on your 85kWh battery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have one of the last 85Ds. They actually tried to get me to go to a 90, and I refused. I have had it almost 3 years to the date. It has 54,500 on it.

The advertised range, when new, was 270. However, I saw 275 on the first range charge. I charged to 100% in September and got 269. Then I charged to 100% in November and got 266. I think temperature has something to do with it because every charge level correlates to right around 265-6 right now, but I expect to see 268 or so once spring comes.

I normally charge to 50-70%. I have only done about 5 100% charges. Hell, I have probably only done 10 or so 90% charges. I am in the NYC area, so I do see teens in the winter and 90s in the summer.

I think temperature has something to do with it because every charge level correlates to right around 265-6 right now, but I expect to see 268 or so once spring comes.
Nope, reported range is strictly (estimated kWh in battery) / (EPA rated kWh/mi). Your historical Wh/mile, usage of heat/AC, average speed, outside temp, etc. has no factor in range calculation (except the estimated range shown on the trip planner graph on the center screen). There are two fixed divisors - one for rated range, one for ideal range.

Nope, reported range is strictly (estimated kWh in battery) / (EPA rated kWh/mi). Your historical Wh/mile, usage of heat/AC, average speed, outside temp, etc. has no factor in range calculation (except the estimated range shown on the trip planner graph on the center screen). There are two fixed divisors - one for rated range, one for ideal range.

But the lower winter temps do lower slightly the amount of kwh the batteries accept, that does cause the actual range to fluctuate seasonally by these formulas.

As I wrote above, just had my car for its 3rd anniversary and have over 50k. I am building a house so hoping to get at least another 2, if not 3 years out of it. That would put me near 100k, mileage wise. I don't mind losing a few miles, but some of these posts concern me. What does it mean "doesn't hold a charge well"? I also read some of the over 100k cars might have a sudden drop from 30 miles to getting stuck. Is there a point where you can't take these on a trip anymore?

I would consider going to a model 3 in a year or so, but again, funds might be an issue.

Our December 2014 85 was at 260 miles consistently. Until I went over about a hundred and twenty-five thousand miles. Now, at about a hundred and fifty thousand miles, I regularly get just over 250. It's a b pack. It gets driven a lot, and charged to 100% two to four times a week, and has for most of the time we've owned it, not quite two years. I had it in the service center due to a cracked panoramic roof and asked them to check the battery while we were there, no errors noted.

Is that at 100%?

Yes, that is 100%.

What bothers me somewhat more than the range loss is the slowing of the supercharging. I have not done an exact analysis (will do when I have time), but it seems to charge only at 60 kW where it charged at 100 kW when it was newer. So charging time at the SC increased by 50 %.

Obviously at home or at other charging facilities, the full 22 kW are used - way into 90 %. No change there. It is only slower at the supercharger.

December 2014 build P85D. 39,200 miles. 100% charge results to 240 miles range. At 253 rated miles new, it's 5% degradation after 5.5 years. Supercharging rate at 119KW when first plugged in at SoC of 3%. Normally charged at home to 75% and not being driven daily, she's my garage queen. Long trips always charged to 90% and show 221 miles (was 227 last year). Charged to 100% (240 miles) using supercharger only once this year just yesterday.
IMG_1752.JPG
IMG_1757.JPG

• Informative
Reactions: David99
December 2014 build P85D. 39,200 miles. 100% charge results to 240 miles range. At 253 rated miles new, it's 5% degradation after 5.5 years. Supercharging rate at 119KW when first plugged in at SoC of 3%.

When you get a chance next time at a supercharger, can you post what the charge rate is when the battery is at 40%, 50% and 60%?

The reasons I'm asking is because mine also peaks close to 120 kW when first plugged in. But then the taper is much stronger and earlier. I used to get approx. 75kW at 50% SoC. Now I get 60 kW.