Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Acceleration boost DOES NOT stay with vehicle (unless it is a private sale)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s honestly the most grimy policy Tesla has. There should be two options

1) any software purchases stay with the VIN
2) any software purchase stays with the account.

I completely agree. Essentially what Tesla is doing here is pulling a bait and switch. They sell you a software upgrade for $2000 that increases your performance but don't make it clear that you loose it when you trade in your car. They don't refund your money, they remove it from the car so there's no increased value to the car and you don't get to keep it for your next car meaning they just suckered you out of $2000. Very slimy, IMO

Well, this solidifies my decision to not invest in FSD for my Model Y. I will wait for the Cybertuck. My assumption was that if I were to purchase FSD for my Model Y, my trade in for the cybertuck would consider that value. I don't care if Tesla deletes it post-sale, but I certainly would want 50% -75% of the value, as I would going private party or anywhere outside Tesla.

The reason that this matters is that I would prefer to trade in my vehicle and only pay sales tax on the difference. If you don't value any SW upgrades, then that puts me and other customers at a disadvantage. It's essentially a slap on the wrist for purchasing it in the first place if they view your car differently than anyone else in the marketplace.

And for everyone saying that these licenses are infinite and should have no value for Tesla, you obviously don't work with software, as licenses have to keep value, even if they aren't physical. Although it's "free", if they treat it as free, they undermine their value and sales strategy as if it is vaporware and worthless. Just my two cents!

I completely agree. Essentially what Tesla is doing here is pulling a bait and switch. They sell you a software upgrade for $2000 that increases your performance but don't make it clear that you loose it when you trade in your car. They don't refund your money, they remove it from the car so there's no increased value to the car and you don't get to keep it for your next car meaning they just suckered you out of $2000. Very slimy, IMO

Not at all. They just said they wouldn't factor that in on the trade-in. They don't remove it from your car. They might remove it from their car after buying it from you if they think it will sell better without it. Not slimy at all and you knew from day 1 you wouldn't be able to transfer the option to the next car. Just sell the car to someone else who values the option. It sounds as if people never think to sell their car to anyone and only so trade-ins, which is always a terrible deal.

Reactions: mspohr
They don't promise they will give anything extra for special rims either.

Tesla can offer whatever they like for trade in. Tesla can do whatever they like with their car once they have purchased it from someone.

The title of this thread is misleading.

Reactions: mspohr
Well, this solidifies my decision to not invest in FSD for my Model Y. I will wait for the Cybertuck. My assumption was that if I were to purchase FSD for my Model Y, my trade in for the cybertuck would consider that value. I don't care if Tesla deletes it post-sale, but I certainly would want 50% -75% of the value, as I would going private party or anywhere outside Tesla.

The reason that this matters is that I would prefer to trade in my vehicle and only pay sales tax on the difference. If you don't value any SW upgrades, then that puts me and other customers at a disadvantage. It's essentially a slap on the wrist for purchasing it in the first place if they view your car differently than anyone else in the marketplace.

And for everyone saying that these licenses are infinite and should have no value for Tesla, you obviously don't work with software, as licenses have to keep value, even if they aren't physical. Although it's "free", if they treat it as free, they undermine their value and sales strategy as if it is vaporware and worthless. Just my two cents!

I remember spending time on my uncles farm where a horse wore blinders to keep his attention at the task at hand. Reading your posts reminded me that some people wear blinders also.

I installed an aftermarket radio and received nothing added to the trade in value. A trunk CD player installed added no value.
In fact over the years every thing I’ve added to any car I have owned added no increase in the trade in value.

That said, I just got a trade in estimate and was pleasantly surprised it was only 10% less than I paid.

If the trade in appraisal is competitive why would you care what happens to the car? It’s not your car any longer.

I remember spending time on my uncles farm where a horse wore blinders to keep his attention at the task at hand. Reading your posts reminded me that some people wear blinders also.

I installed an aftermarket radio and received nothing added to the trade in value. A trunk CD player installed added no value.
In fact over the years every thing I’ve added to any car I have owned added no increase in the trade in value.

That said, I just got a trade in estimate and was pleasantly surprised it was only 10% less than I paid.

If the trade in appraisal is competitive why would you care what happens to the car? It’s not your car any longer.

I think everyone seems to be missing the point of this post. Yes, Tesla can value your vehicle however they want and they can do with the vehicle whatever they want once owning it. You either accept their offer or not. Of course you can sell private party, but we are focusing purely on Tesla trade in value.

however that is not really the spirit of this post. The post is meant to imply that Tesla is valuing their own software at $0. Keep in mind, this is software that never truly loses value as it can be update. As opposed to a physical option that loses value.

Everyone in this thread is really okay with Tesla saying that the software YOU paid X amount of dollars for is worth $0 in their trade in estimate?

Tesla has NOT said they value their software at zero. One SA somewhere said that.

I know from my trade-in price that they gave me good value for FSD.

I agree that the title is misleading. It is stated as if it's a fact and it is not a fact.

This entire thread is debating something which is untrue. Not saying the OP wasn't told that, I'm sure he was.

Last edited:
As many have motioned, Tesla is free to value their cars however they see fit. Don't see how they could be competitive to the private market without adding this value IMO but who knows. I have never had an issues selling my car privately. I get the sales tax savings when going through a dealer but EVs have zero sales tax here in NJ so that argument is not valid in states with this exemption. Even with sales tax, I have always gotten better value (by thousands) when selling privately. Everyone wins (except the dealer) as I get a better price and the new owner pays thousands less. Price competitively and be FIRM with your listing and a realistic buyer has always shown up. Just sold my Jeep Grand Cherokee this way to put myself into my first MY. I'll do it again in three years (or less) when I get the Cyber Truck.

• Informative
Reactions: Jimt29 and mspohr
With FSD the value of your purchased software only goes up. This is according to Tesla. Monday they are raising it to 4 grand over what I paid a year ago. Mine will get that upgrade. So the value, by Tesla's own pricing should go up if I trade my FSD car in.

I have always thought FSD should stay with the buyer.

• Disagree
Reactions: Jimt29
If you've sold the car to them and you get the value including AB, who cares what they do with it after? Presumably the resold car is priced without it.

Because if they are going to remove it form that vehicle and it doesn't go with your account you are now going to have to purchase it again also. They are double dipping on these features. There should be a transfer fee so that they make some money out of it but also don't squeeze each buyer for the feature they pay for. Otherwise it should be locked to the hardware and the trade in value adjusted accordingly.

I have always thought FSD should stay with the buyer.

I hear you, but I think that might bring up issues of its own - how would Tesla apply my 2018 FSD to whatever the hell electric rocket car they're selling in 5 years, 10 or even 20? There's a strong chance that capabilities and packages will change over time and todays' FSD won't make sense on some future vehicles. It would be a nightmare to track too - whining would never end.

What I think would make sense is a temporary credit (50%?) on the purchase of FSD to owners who had it when they traded in for another Tesla. This would recognize the fact that people who had FSD over the last couple of years never saw the promised value.

Once you trade it in, Tesla can do what ever they want. If you sell it privately then it should stick, just as FSD would.

Asking them to transfer it, ha ha ha, nice try. We are talking Tesla.

Keep in mind, any "SOFTWARE" option it worthless to Tesla on trade. And they can sell the software options again.

Now if it was traded or sold to a Non Tesla dealer. It could end up like free supercharging. I'm not sure what they do with FSD in this case, I think it sticks. Boost would probably fall under the same treatment.

Oh, Free Supercharging is only original owner and that I believe is called out. So even if private, that goes bye bye.
Not my experience. 2012 Signature, and I am the 3rd owner at least. Free supercharging and LTE

Reactions: richyrich
Cars before 2018 had a different plan. Free Super Charging stays with the car and you can swap private to private all you want. But if it passes through a dealer Tesla might remove it.
Cars before March 2017 have transferable unlimited supercharging. Roughly. There were rules in when it had to be ordered and when delivered.

Still, if Tesla has one in their possession they may remove it as long as they disclose to the new buyer. Much like they could swap out the rims or steal the back seat.

Reactions: jeffbco

I think you may have had blinders on leading yourself to believe that I care what Tesla does post sale, or comparing your CD player to a tesla sold upgrade. I specifically clarified my position on teslas strategy to double dip to a new buyer - they can do what they want.

My point was to software and its inherent value while you own it and what happens when you choose to sell your car, in this case to the manufacturer that sold you the upgrade. If you paid extra for a vehicle with a sound system or moon roof, physical features, you would expect to be compensated for those features. Obviously they can't be ignored as easily as software.

Tesla should give partial value to your vehicles software investments that you have made during trade in OR allow for some path for license transfer. Otherwise starting Monday, people are driving FSD "off the lot" and losing 100% of its value, presumably IF brought back to tesla. Hopefully we are all wrong in this thread and they WOULD give it some sort of value.

I think you may have had blinders on leading yourself to believe that I care what Tesla does post sale, or comparing your CD player to a tesla sold upgrade. I specifically clarified my position on teslas strategy to double dip to a new buyer - they can do what they want.

My point was to software and its inherent value while you own it and what happens when you choose to sell your car, in this case to the manufacturer that sold you the upgrade. If you paid extra for a vehicle with a sound system or moon roof, physical features, you would expect to be compensated for those features. Obviously they can't be ignored as easily as software.

Tesla should give partial value to your vehicles software investments that you have made during trade in OR allow for some path for license transfer. Otherwise starting Monday, people are driving FSD "off the lot" and losing 100% of its value, presumably IF brought back to tesla. Hopefully we are all wrong in this thread and they WOULD give it some sort of value.
For criminy sake - if Elon could swipe away the free Supercharging on my 2013 S -- he would do it in a hot second. Frankly, based on many recent warranty warping decisions, I wouldn't put it past the company to do just that. I haven't managed to check the used inventory listings after the death of the 4YR 50K warranty... but I'm now wondering if older S's no longer have their "free supercharging" still extant...