Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AirPlay incoming

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
…however, the first of two app updates last week made the 11-letter name of my car truncate the last letter onto a second line. It’s been on one line for three and a half years. Looks naff now…

For unfortunate truncation, this is what my previous car did to the song "Sitting on a Poor Man's Throne"

20190214_191116.jpg

Unfortunately, I don’t think that’s the reason. I have the latest charger and it doesn’t appear in the app.
It’s UK only. Over here, by law, chargers have to enable a random delay to avoid a huge spike at the same peak charging times. It’s a sensible bit of future proofing.

It’s showing up for me now. Swipe to your house screen in the app and check the settings menu. No more needing to go stand 3ft away from the wall connector and connect to its own wifi, yay!

IMG_1448.png

• Informative
Reactions: Cardo and scdoubleu
It’s UK only. Over here, by law, chargers have to enable a random delay to avoid a huge spike at the same peak charging times. It’s a sensible bit of future proofing.

It’s showing up for me now. Swipe to your house screen in the app and check the settings menu. No more needing to go stand 3ft away from the wall connector and connect to its own wifi, yay!

View attachment 956460
Which wall connector do you have? I'm on the latest version of the iOS app (4.23.2-1815) and can't find this.

I believe Airplay2 works over Bluetooth as well nowadays ...

It does not actually. What it does is it can do negotiation over BT to offer more seamless experience, but the streaming itself doesn't. The issue with BT is lack of bandwidth, as well as the stability of the available bandwidth. Bluetooth was never designed for such purposes; A2DP was shoehorned into the standard a bit as well (which is also partially a reason why high audio quality + microphone doesn't work together).

---

AirPlay can work over WiFi and ethernet. The CarPlay uses a similar set of primitives to transmit audio channel, but it's not airplay-in-carplay. Given the Tesla & Apple cold relationships, I personally doubt we will ever see CarPlay. AirPlay, esp. v2, is pretty easy to implement if you have a networked appliance already.

Unless we can also browse the media on our phones I really can't get excited about this. Great, something might sound better but all I can do is pause or go to the next or previous track
Technically speaking they could use AVRCP to integrate media browsing, but it's most likely a close-to-zero chance they will do it.

Definitely would have been easier for Tesla to simply implement CarPlay instead at this point...
Wireless CarPlay isn't that easy to implement, unlike AirPlay (which is pretty much always wireless). Wired CarPlay is easier than AirPlay - it's just 1 or more H.264 video + AAC stream(s) over USB ethernet, raw touch inputs (+ buttons if desired), + some basic telematics out of which most are optional. In addition Wireless CarPlay also has disadvantages with delays existing. However, the reason for not implementing CarPlay has nothing to do with technical reasons IMO but politics of keeping the control over the ecosystem.

Technically speaking they could use AVRCP to integrate media browsing, but it's most likely a close-to-zero chance they will do it.

Wireless CarPlay isn't that easy to implement, unlike AirPlay (which is pretty much always wireless). Wired CarPlay is easier than AirPlay - it's just 1 or more H.264 video + AAC stream(s) over USB ethernet, raw touch inputs (+ buttons if desired), + some basic telematics out of which most are optional. In addition Wireless CarPlay also has disadvantages with delays existing. However, the reason for not implementing CarPlay has nothing to do with technical reasons IMO but politics of keeping the control over the ecosystem.
The fact that there is a plethora of 35quid dongles off Amazon that can convert to wireless CarPlay was suggesting otherwise to me..
I perfectly understand Tesla's reluctance to opening the gates to a 3rd party interface like CarPlay but I assume they could have offered it an isolated/sandboxed mode on the screen. People have been screaming for Waze for years, and they are now trying to reinvent the wheel (quite literally for the company that brought the Yoke...) by offering AirPlay instead of the purpose-design CarPlay, just for streaming music... This looks convoluted for quite a minimal benefit to the end-user.

I'm just suggesting all of these dev hours could have been put to better use if the goal was customer satisfaction...

The fact that there is a plethora of 35quid dongles off Amazon that can convert to wireless CarPlay was suggesting otherwise to me..

I tried a few of them. From what I heard they a variation of the same Android-based software, utilizing a leaked key. Don't get me wrong, it's not impossible to implement Wireless CarPlay, but it's significantly harder. I'm saying this as someone working with people implementing this for one of the major auto brands from Germany.

However, there are some things which all implementations I've tested suffer from: delay much higher than cable or even BT. It's just annoying at times.

I perfectly understand Tesla's reluctance to opening the gates to a 3rd party interface like CarPlay but I assume they could have offered it an isolated/sandboxed mode on the screen.

From the technical point of view, CarPlay (until recently) could do nothing to the vehicle: just a simple audio+video stream with no logic on the side of the car. New version announced recently can interact with the car systems using a predefined set of primitives, but there's no security risk for Tesla to implement it. It's simply about isolating the brand from marketing standpoint. I personally don't like it either...

(...) offering AirPlay instead of the purpose-design CarPlay, just for streaming music... This looks convoluted for quite a minimal benefit to the end-user.

The thing is many people ask for higher quality music streaming, so they're offering at least that. To me it's slightly bittersweet but it's better than nothing/bluetooth. It's not really reinventing the wheel, but it would sure be nice to have full CarPlay.

Our other car, a bmw, has wireless CarPlay and in use it’s absolutely fine. Occasionally it doesn't connect but I’ve never worked out if that’s my doing or just a problem with reliability, app implementation (usually waze) or other, but I’ve certainly not experienced delays etc. once connected.

As for Tesla, I saw the tweet where it’s mentioned, but it’s kind of weird that stuff is bundled into a build but not live, you wonder what configuration management they’re using or not to get these spurious text in production code.

Gen 3. It should at least be showing in the home/garage view in the app, if not then the wall connector probably needs a firmware update. Make sure it's connected to wifi.
I've two gen3's connectors and fully up to date firmware along with new app - I'm in Ireland can you show screenshots of the home / garage section as I still cannot find this.