Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anonymous gross income poll of M3 reservation holders

M3 reservation holder, what is your gross annual household income?

• <$25,000 USD/year

Votes: 10 2.7%
  • $25,001-$35,000/year

Votes: 5 1.4%
  • $35,001-$50,000/year

Votes: 9 2.5%
  • $50,001-$75,000/year

Votes: 22 6.0%
  • $75,001-$100,000/year

Votes: 33 9.0%
  • $100,001-$125,000/year

Votes: 46 12.5%
  • $125,001-$150,000/year

Votes: 49 13.4%
  • >$150,001/year

Votes: 193 52.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is quite useless poll. In each country, the cost of living is drasticaly different. Where I live, the cost of living is 4 times cheaper then in US but my income is higher then avarage American. Also you are interested in household income. So you are putting income of singles and parents with kids and grandparents in same household together. What on earth is this pool good for?

Yes, sorry, I didn't take the Czech living situation carefully into account when constructing a quick fun poll to see what the typical reservation holder earns.

Household income is important because in most US and Western European households there is a single family living in the home and many times the adults in the house pool income for purposes of doing things like purchasing extravagant electric automobiles.

We live in a relatively low-cost area of California, and our income is near the middle of this poll. But we can EASILY afford to buy a fully optioned M3 for cash (and trade-in). It is not about gross annual income.

That's good data but you also need to realize that in the median car purchasing segment that Model 3 falls into (slightly higher but well under full on luxury purchase territory) the majority of purchasers are going to finance the vehicle or lease it with a small down payment.

My hat is off to those who are financially prudent and put away for years towards a big car purchase they will either make with cash or put a large cash payment down and not have to finance the bulk of the purchase.

I am also in that demographic but it is still the minority for these types of car purchases.

Reactions: geometro
I'm glad this is anonymous... I really don't want to know who is spending 50% or more of their gross income on a car.
Would it surprise you learn that households with incomes around 50k are buying cars that cost about half that amount ?
Or that my rural area that has a median income below $40k is awash with trucks and SUVs ?

Would it surprise you learn that households with incomes around 50k are buying cars that cost about half that amount ?
Or that my rural area that has a median income below $40k is awash with trucks and SUVs ?

Some living costs are mostly "fixed" and don't cost more for someone with a high income compared to a low income. Utility bills, cable/internet, groceries.... all more or less fit into this category.

As income goes up those fixed costs remain the same and it becomes easier to justify committing a higher percentage of monthly/annual income to things like vehicle purchases... also a person who wants to drive a nice car and doesn't take a vacation has different expenditures than someone who goes on a fancy two week vacation annually.

Personally, I think that a person with a $50K income who goes out and buys a $25K car is insane, but that's just my .02.

You have just stated the intense appeal of vehicles in the Audi A4/Mercedes C/BMW 3/Tesla Model 3 category. Because of the enormous range of options in teh category ($35,000-$90,000 more or less). The category appeal to people with very tight budgets and people who are very well off but don't want a giant vehicle. From years past I recall this category having a Muti-modal HHI distribution like no other category. The age distributions are multi-modal too.

I'm sure when we reflect on this four years from now the Model 3 owners will look very closely like those others in a similar category. My big question is what happens to the category itself once the flood of BEV's show up in teh same price points from these manufacturers, Volvo, Jaguar, Land Rover and the others we don't know too much about yet. GM, Ford, Nissan are all players using their premium marques, while we can bet that the Chinese (not only JLR), Koreans and Japanese will all be coming on strong. The demographics will be lots fo fun to watch.
Definitely!

For us, we're enthusiastic to show support for a company that's intent on getting the world away from fossil fuels and also happens to offer the best looking, performing, and safest EVs on the market. Buying TSLA stock could also show support, but def not as sexy or practical of an option for us on a daily basis versus grabbing a Model 3 (will be our only car). Neither the Model S or X are in our price range.

Reactions: UrsS
Results suggest that you should have offered more resolution above $150K....

Yep... I think your results are showing a lot of dual income households in that upper bracket...

If editing the poll were possible I would add a $150,001-$200,000 and >200,001 option to it, but editing the poll is not possible.

I have to admit that the poll sample skewed much harder towards the top income bracket than I had anticipated.

Here in the DC area you meet a lot of doctor/lawyer couples and the like - well over the $400K gross household income. Of course, they're also squarely in Model S/X territory ;)

Last edited:
I'm in the top bracket here, but my family gross income is around $175K. I'm not a fan of debt and I just bought a new house (doubled my payment from the townhouse we were in for 9.5 yrs) but luckily that is our only debt. Unless you include my 5 and 2.5 year old...

Luckily I'm on the East Coast and have at least 6 months to save up a little more. If the Fed tax credit goes away I'll have to back down from 100% to 51% to decide. For me that credit is roughly 1 years worth of payments, or at least how I'm selling it to my wife.

My household is most definitely off the end of the poll, and a M3 will be a stretch and the most expensive car we've had by a decent margin....

I think that Gross Income can be very deceptive - here in the Seattle area daycare (per child) costs more than mortgages in most of the country. I'd imagine that's true in coastal Cali as well. That's not to mention that the median home price hit 880k last summer.

Reactions: Pkmmte and 206er
My household is most definitely off the end of the poll, and a M3 will be a stretch and the most expensive car we've had by a decent margin....

I think that Gross Income can be very deceptive - here in the Seattle area daycare (per child) costs more than mortgages in most of the country. I'd imagine that's true in coastal Cali as well. That's not to mention that the median home price hit 880k last summer.
Seriously. Our part-time nanny is $1500 a month, which seems like a bargain in this market, and we'll certainly have to add days/pay more after baby #2 arrives next year.