Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anonymous gross income poll of M3 reservation holders

M3 reservation holder, what is your gross annual household income?

• <$25,000 USD/year

Votes: 10 2.7%
  • $25,001-$35,000/year

Votes: 5 1.4%
  • $35,001-$50,000/year

Votes: 9 2.5%
  • $50,001-$75,000/year

Votes: 22 6.0%
  • $75,001-$100,000/year

Votes: 33 9.0%
  • $100,001-$125,000/year

Votes: 46 12.5%
  • $125,001-$150,000/year

Votes: 49 13.4%
  • >$150,001/year

Votes: 193 52.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My household is most definitely off the end of the poll, and a M3 will be a stretch and the most expensive car we've had by a decent margin....

I think that Gross Income can be very deceptive - here in the Seattle area daycare (per child) costs more than mortgages in most of the country. I'd imagine that's true in coastal Cali as well. That's not to mention that the median home price hit 880k last summer.

May I ask what daycare prices are in your area? Our need for daycare has passed, but last I looked full time infant rates were $250 per week here in Central Florida.

Lol, you're right. In our industry in LA, we start college grads at $160k and they still refuse. They all wanna join Apple, Google, FB, or startups. Can't compelete with tech giants. Also, 160k is nothing here. Middle class.

Median income in the greater LA area is $55,000....

So, no.

Cost of living is higher, but there are plenty of calculators to compare cost of living and even in extremely high cost of living areas like NYC and San Francisco, it's not 3X higher than in other US cities.

I thought I was an average Model 3 buyer but I guess I'm in the bottom 20% income wise. With no kids and a reasonable house payment of $1,300/month for a 2,800 sqft new house that really helps. I don't know how some parents or high home value area's survive on less than $100k based on some of their costs.

Location, location, location...

In Georgia you can buy a 2000 square foot home on 2+ acres for around $100,000. What would that cost in California?

Dan
Not sure about Cali, but a 2k sqft place in Seattle proper could easily fetch $1M or more. Amazon, great quality of life, and super low supply v. super high demand continue to drive prices nuts in our area.

We were lucky to win a bidding war for our 1500 sqft townhome 4 years ago, definitely couldn’t afford it if we were buying today.

Last edited:
We are more likely to see exaggerated claims unless it is the taxman asking in which case it will probably be half the actual earnings. At the end, it is just a bunch of numbers, right?

An EV is not just consumption, but I can see from your posts that you have not caught on yet.
When we get to the point where all cars have mini-fusion engines that power our houses we can talk again...until then a car (ice and ev) is just another thing you put money, time and energy into and then toss away once it`s gotten old. Just because EVs are theoretically more efficient doesn`t make them any less consumer products.....