Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anonymous gross income poll of M3 reservation holders

M3 reservation holder, what is your gross annual household income?

• <$25,000 USD/year

Votes: 10 2.7%
  • $25,001-$35,000/year

Votes: 5 1.4%
  • $35,001-$50,000/year

Votes: 9 2.5%
  • $50,001-$75,000/year

Votes: 22 6.0%
  • $75,001-$100,000/year

Votes: 33 9.0%
  • $100,001-$125,000/year

Votes: 46 12.5%
  • $125,001-$150,000/year

Votes: 49 13.4%
  • >$150,001/year

Votes: 193 52.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Really!? That seems like a huge block of land (Shoreline, Sea-Tac, or Burien?) Developer will probably buy it, throw up a micro community of modern townhomes and list them for $1.5M each...

Yep, that's the idea... it is zoned MUR45 to allow 200+ apartments with appropriate below-ground parking. Just inside Shoreline. It'll be a half mile from the light rail in 2024 apparently.

Then you know as much about "hippies" as you do environmentalism.

Hippies did flout convention but it was in the context of rejecting responsibility towards others. The movement started as a rejection of war they did not agree with and spiraled into narcissism.
Canuck is just the opposite -- he spends money to improve everybody's lot in life.

You reject any notion that you have a responsibility to leave this Earth no dirtier than you find it. Ideologically, not so far away from the self-centered, narcisstic hippie. You cannot see it though because of your different consumption patterns. And there is one other difference: hippies tended to be pleasant.
Hippie and treehugger are synonyms where I live, the historical details seriously don't interest me. And let me say that it's really nice of you to be so green....I'll have a good conscience next time I fill up my v8 and v6 engines knowing you're gonna save mother earth for me. Thank you very much. :)

Yep, that's the idea... it is zoned MUR45 to allow 200+ apartments with appropriate below-ground parking. Just inside Shoreline. It'll be a half mile from the light rail in 2024 apparently.

Honestly this is why I moved away from the west coast. The cost of living is so much cheaper in Texas it is unbelievable. Plus the quality of living is just as high. My wife stays at home with the kids so even though I make enough to top out the poll we live pretty frugally. This will be the most expensive car I have purchased. My goal is to get a car I can live with for 10-12 years. My oldest hits college in 4 years so I want both cars paid off before that starts. My wife's I just paid off last month and it is a 2014 Honda Odyssey so I hope it will last 10 more years too.

Hippie and treehugger are synonyms where I live, the historical details seriously don't interest me. And let me say that it's really nice of you to be so green....I'll have a good conscience next time I fill up my v8 and v6 engines knowing you're gonna save mother earth for me. Thank you very much. :)
I have no idea why it has taken me till now to ignore you.

Honestly this is why I moved away from the west coast. The cost of living is so much cheaper in Texas it is unbelievable. Plus the quality of living is just as high. My wife stays at home with the kids so even though I make enough to top out the poll we live pretty frugally. This will be the most expensive car I have purchased. My goal is to get a car I can live with for 10-12 years. My oldest hits college in 4 years so I want both cars paid off before that starts. My wife's I just paid off last month and it is a 2014 Honda Odyssey so I hope it will last 10 more years too.
I'd argue against that, as someone who moved from Austin to the California coast. I find only a slight difference in the cost of living - my house in Austin cost nearly twice my house here in the North Bay, and I have 3 acres here but only had a city lot in Austin. The house was nicer, but the weather was not.

The difference, of course, is that in that area, one can drive farther (and farther) to own land more affordably. The Bay Area is pretty locked up aside from the north direction. Income taxes exist here, but property taxes are vastly lower than in Austin. It's a balance, but I just want to point out that I disagree with "so much cheaper" and also with the quality of living statement. The latter is of course subjective. I got tired after twenty 8-9 month summers. For my personal comfort, there needs to be lower humidity and cool nights. Those rarely occurred in Austin so I found myself here. That said, I have a very good friend in Austin who likes an 80 degree morning - he'd never survive here. Again, it's subjective and personal.

Land you want, eh?

I can't speak for California, but for the Seattle area:

Took me a bit of effort to come up with anything near 2 acres, but I found a 9 parcel block of (now) condemned homes that's about 1.6 acres and ~150 blocks from downtown, just outside the city limits, it's just 7.7 million.
Out here in the boonies my house is on five acres, has rather nice mountain views, loads of wildlife as neighbors, and my property taxes this year were $733.48. Over on the other side of the mountains in Boulder, where I used to live, I couldn't afford to buy the house I used to own there — it is getting crazy expensive there. As with California and Washington, the cost of living depends a lot on where one lives, even here in Colorado. So does the quality of life, although that is a personal decision for each person.

As others have pointed out upthread, income is not the same thing as wealth, cost of living, thrift, or other factors that play into a decision as to whether or not one can afford to purchase a Model 3. Not that it makes any difference to point that out IME.

I earn 42k Euro in The Netherlands before taxes, which is 50k in USD.

Why I would spent annual salary, more if counting net income, on a model 3?

Well my current and first car from 1999 cost €1000 to buy and will sell for 500 after being run for two years. So around €20 per month spent.

Insurance, €40pm
Road assistance €10pm
Road tax €20pm
Fuel costs €210 pm for 20000km / 12.500 miles.
Avg Maintenance €65pm

Total monthly costs: €365

Tesla M3 will cost me 42k to buy, expecting to sell at 20k after 5 years, costing €365pm

Insurance €60pm
Road assistance €10pm
Road tax €0 for electric cars
Fuel costs €60pm
Avg maintenance €50pm? No idea yet what would be covered under warranty yet.

€180 pm extra over current car would be something I can afford.

Let me know if you see serious oversights

Ugh, I hate looking at costs per month... makes things seem smaller than they are. I prefer to look at total cost per year (at a minimum). So your 180 turns into 2160 per annum. Not bad, given you are driving an 18 year old car, but in the states the focus on monthly costs is where car dealers try to get folks in over their head.

I earn 42k Euro in The Netherlands before taxes, which is 50k in USD.

Why I would spent annual salary, more if counting net income, on a model 3?

Well my current and first car from 1999 cost €1000 to buy and will sell for 500 after being run for two years. So around €20 per month spent.

Insurance, €40pm
Road assistance €10pm
Road tax €20pm
Fuel costs €210 pm for 20000km / 12.500 miles.
Avg Maintenance €65pm

Total monthly costs: €365

Tesla M3 will cost me 42k to buy, expecting to sell at 20k after 5 years, costing €365pm

Insurance €60pm
Road assistance €10pm
Road tax €0 for electric cars
Fuel costs €60pm
Avg maintenance €50pm? No idea yet what would be covered under warranty yet.

€180 pm extra over current car would be something I can afford.

Let me know if you see serious oversights
Interesting .. thanks

Comments:
1. The difference in insurance looks really small
2. Opportunity cost will be about 5% of 40k Euro a year
3. You have to include the 42k Euro car cost somewhere. I use the expected life of the car

Last edited: