Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CA Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After 3 weeks of holding at EDD 11/30-12/20, today I got the disappearance act.

A few questions in the meantime, though I'm sure mostly people are just looking for VIN/delivery updates right now. 🤣

1) I'd like to do the Tesla financing rate match (DCU?). Do you contact them all in advance and get the rate match from Tesla, or do you just await VIN and then do a mad scramble to secure financing, secure rate match, switch from Cash to Finance.

2) For all of the talk of competing insurance, you could always just switch that afterwards too though right? Do you click the Tesla button and it just gives you an instant quote?

3) If they do home delivery, when does the 24 hr/100 mile countdown start? When they drop it? When you accept delivery in the app?

A few questions in the meantime, though I'm sure mostly people are just looking for VIN/delivery updates right now. 🤣

1) I'd like to do the Tesla financing rate match (DCU?). Do you contact them all in advance and get the rate match from Tesla, or do you just await VIN and then do a mad scramble to secure financing, secure rate match, switch from Cash to Finance.

2) For all of the talk of competing insurance, you could always just switch that afterwards too though right? Do you click the Tesla button and it just gives you an instant quote?

3) If they do home delivery, when does the 24 hr/100 mile countdown start? When they drop it? When you accept delivery in the app?
For 1) I don’t think you can apply for the loan at DCU without the VIN and MVPA. Once I get my VIN, I’ll call Tesla to switch payment method to Third Party financing, get the MVPA with DCU listed, and then apply immediately.

From what I heard, they're not even really delivering in Costa Mesa. Everything is going out of Irvine, likely near the service center on Barranca. I think cars are parked in a parking structure nearby..
Yeah, this. It was quite funny delivery that it was in the parking structure behind the Morgan Stanley building off MacArthur and Main. I think they were delivering cars as they were scheduled for pickup. Mine still only had 3 miles on it at pickup.

I'm financing with PenFed. They will send me a Draft (which is a blank check without a VIN) which is good for 90-days. I fill-in-the-blanks once I have a VIN number and hand Tesla the check. Although other banks have a tad better rate, I liked PenFed's 90-day window. Since my EDD has shifted from the generic "December" to the generic "January", then I'll get the Draft from PenFed when I am a week before a real EDD date. That allows Tesla to slide around in that 90-day window without needing to re-pull my credit.

In all cases, don't line-up your financing too early. And order your car specifying "cash"; you can change it later. Likewise, if you have a trade-in, don't get rid of it too early -- I'd advise keeping your existing car until AFTER your Model Y is in your driveway. The used car market is hot right now, so you can always sell it 3rd party.

Yes, I hope my EDD doesn't slide further, but we all know that it will. In the very least, I'd like some real EDD dates instead of just "January". Today is Day #57 for me. "December" for 36 days, real dates for 3 days, then "January" for 18 days.

Scott

--

MYLR | Red ext | White int | 19" | 5 seats | tow | no FSD | Order 07/31 | Profile 07/31
EDD: January
DC: Stockton

Last edited:
I had a very infuriating experience. The people over at Tesla delivered my car today even though specifically scheduling it for 9/28. I was out of town and panicked. Finally had a family member take care of things and accept delivery
How quickly after your vin arrived did they reach out to you? I’m hoping to pickup my car today since it’s still the weekend as it gets harder during the week. I got my vin on Friday and it’s been crickets since then

How quickly after your vin arrived did they reach out to you? I’m hoping to pickup my car today since it’s still the weekend as it gets harder during the week. I got my vin on Friday and it’s been crickets since then
I got the vin on friday too and nothing since. I'm not sure which dc are you picking up, but I called Colma yesterday evening and they said the car is still in Fremont

Picked up my car on Saturday, very pleased with it! I noticed that the steering wheel is not centered when driving straight so I set up an appointment for an alignment. Anyone else have this issue?
SO SO many of us had this issue. I took mine to an independent and love alignment shop. Faster and did so much better than most Tesla centers do. Fast and only $75! So worth it!

I got the vin on friday too and nothing since. I'm not sure which dc are you picking up, but I called Colma yesterday evening and they said the car is still in Fremont
So I am planning to pickup in Fremont but I called seaside DC this morning and the SA there said the car has a vin assigned but not quite completed or finished with inspections. So she said it will be this week so I’m guessing I’ll get a text to pick up before Thursday.

Well, I'm back to the EDD waiting game!

The Blue Unicorn (MYLR) is such a great car, I was easily able to convince the wife to get a MY! She's going to take the Blue Unicorn once the MYP MSM on white I ordered yesterday arrives. MYP really does take priority big time -- I've already gotten an EDD of 10/11 - 10/31 while new MYLR orders are getting EDD targets of April!