Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CA Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I suspect taxes are applied if you buy FSD after receiving the car. It is computer software and when I buy computer games I pay sales tax. Best to ask Tesla if fsd sales are taxed If uncertain.
It's only taxable if you receive a physical good of some sort. Direct software purchases without physical media aren't taxed in CA, so in theory it shouldn't be taxed if you upgrade after the initial vehicle purchase.

I find myself in an interesting position. I took delivery of my MYLR in September 2021. Enjoy the car, it's great. I invested in front PPF, front window tint and a few accessories.

Now I have a second MYLR MSM reservation (EDD 12/16-12/31) I had made for my parents (it was only $100), but they aren't sold on the EV movement just yet, so will likely back out. However I've received an offer of $63.5K from GMTV, which is great, about $5K over what I paid out the door just 2.5 months ago. But for me it won't be worth the hassle unless I take delivery in 2022. My 2022 MYLR MSM order is $62.1K out the door.

Crazy resale prices aside I'm very happy with my White/White MYLR. No significant panel issues, and the car's been great (never know what the next car may bring). If only I could convince the wife to take the MSM MYLR. ;)

Any thoughts? Any angles I may not be seeing?

Edit: The only reason I'm even considering the swap is a) too many damn White MY's on the road and b) if I can pocket $5K after EV credits.

Last edited:
Any recommendations to the electrician to fix the home charger in the bay area? I reached out to 2 people and both of them quoted around $2k. Is that normal?
Bay Area is too broad. My electrician in the East Bay charged $815 for the whole project including labor and parts. Also, it really depends on what they are doing. Are they trenching? Upgrading electrical panel? How accessible/far is the box from the install?

That cost was to run conduit approx 20 feet through the garage and install the Tesla HPWC.

Bay Area is too broad. My electrician in the East Bay charged $815 for the whole project including labor and parts. Also, it really depends on what they are doing. Are they trenching? Upgrading electrical panel? How accessible/far is the box from the install?

That cost was to run conduit approx 20 feet through the garage and install the Tesla HPWC.
Should add: permits would add another $700.

OD 7/19: MSM, white, 20"

Ok now I'm actually annoyed. I've entered my EDD window about 4 or 5 times now just to wake up this morning to see it pushed again.

Current EDD is now: 12/14-12/31
I feel your pain. I entered my EDD of 12/8-12/31 yesterday. Had held steady for weeks. Wake up this morning and it has moved to….1/11-2/8. I’m now that guy who is more jealous than happy when I see people in my same area take orders they made a full 6 weeks after I did, many with similar configs.

Look, if it’s Tesla’s way of getting me a big tax rebate I’ll forgive them. But that looks far from certain.

I feel your pain. I entered my EDD of 12/8-12/31 yesterday. Had held steady for weeks. Wake up this morning and it has moved to….1/11-2/8. I’m now that guy who is more jealous than happy when I see people in my same area take orders they made a full 6 weeks after I did, many with similar configs.

Look, if it’s Tesla’s way of getting me a big tax rebate I’ll forgive them. But that looks far from certain.
Yeah I’m downright salty these days. I need to stay out of certain threads but it’s hard 😩

Reactions: Packfan and seeb
I find myself in an interesting position. I took delivery of my MYLR in September 2021. Enjoy the car, it's great. I invested in front PPF, front window tint and a few accessories.

Now I have a second MYLR MSM reservation (EDD 12/16-12/31) I had made for my parents (it was only $100), but they aren't sold on the EV movement just yet, so will likely back out. However I've received an offer of $63.5K from GMTV, which is great, about $5K over what I paid out the door just 2.5 months ago. But for me it won't be worth the hassle unless I take delivery in 2022. My 2022 MYLR MSM order is $62.1K out the door.

Crazy resale prices aside I'm very happy with my White/White MYLR. No significant panel issues, and the car's been great (never know what the next car may bring). If only I could convince the wife to take the MSM MYLR. ;)

Any thoughts? Any angles I may not be seeing?

Edit: The only reason I'm even considering the swap is a) too many damn White MY's on the road and b) if I can pocket $5K after EV credits.
If that EDD holds, you aren’t getting tax credits on it. The bill isn’t final, may not happen, may get hacked up, whatever. But it had a 12/31 effective date at the earliest when the House passed it. That’s not getting moved up.

I don’t know much about GMTV. I think you’ve thought through the angles. For me, if I got a newer car for $1200 less in the color I wanted and the “work” was to fill out some paperwork and watch them load my old car onto a flatbed in front of my house, I would do it. 5k seems an arbitrary bar.

Any upgrades since you took yours? HEPA? The 2022 VIN may have some resale advantage (not because it’s any different but because most buyers/trade ins are set up to account for model year).

Yeah I’m downright salty these days. I need to stay out of certain threads but it’s hard 😩

I have been super patient thus far but ever since they gave me that 10 day window and took it away, i'm feeling the restlessness of when i'm going to get it :/

Reactions: Naija King
If that EDD holds, you aren’t getting tax credits on it. The bill isn’t final, may not happen, may get hacked up, whatever. But it had a 12/31 effective date at the earliest when the House passed it. That’s not getting moved up.

I don’t know much about GMTV. I think you’ve thought through the angles. For me, if I got a newer car for $1200 less in the color I wanted and the “work” was to fill out some paperwork and watch them load my old car onto a flatbed in front of my house, I would do it. 5k seems an arbitrary bar.

Any upgrades since you took yours? HEPA? The 2022 VIN may have some resale advantage (not because it’s any different but because most buyers/trade ins are set up to account for model year).
Thanks for the feedback, my thoughts exactly. I don't think there have been any upgrades since I took delivery. I have bio-defense which was the latest rolling upgrade iirc. I did add front PPF/tint and Homelink which would be lost investments ($2500 maybe for all upgrades). The 2022 model year may have some resale value down the road but I expect that to be < $1500.

I would sooner let them cancel my order if they required delivery before 12/31/21. While the EV tax credits are still 100% up in the air, if they come through it would surely impact the net value of my car, and I would prefer to benefit from that than lose out (if it does come to fruition). The 2022 MY designation would imply the car came with the credit (again, if it does actually pass).

Reactions: Packfan

Yeah. Seems like a lot of us are on the same boat. Dates keep moving. And each time the date range falls on the some kind of vacation period. I am now stuck between 12/10 thru 12/31 for delivery. And I am out of state from 22nd to the 3rd. Have already moved my trip from Thanksgiving time as it was the one of the EDD. Now to push again it's not possible. I'll have to fly back down to take delivery and then fly back the same day if the delivery happens. That is about $750-$900. There goes any savings the program was offering Grrr. I want to just pay and have it delivered to my sisters place which is 11 miles away from Buena Park. I'm running out of options.

Still sitting on 12/24 - 31. OD: 9/4

MYLR | Wht / Blk | 20" | Tow.

As long as I've been waiting I'm hoping to postpone payment and delivery till after Jan 1 to improve the odds of qualifying for any new legislation.
That is exactly what I did. I told my SA that I just wasn't going to be ready for the car this year - which I was afraid was going to happen because my EDD kept moving closer. She said "no problem" and it was pushed out to 3/9 - 4/6 and it hasn't changed. That might get the new rebate and might not but it also should have more upgrades so I am happy.

Received this message today…EOD Jan 9-Feb 9…Not sure what it means and how to reply!?!? Accept and Proceed??? I Haven’t accepted…😳😳😳

Tesla Vision​

Since May 2021, Model 3 and Model Y vehicles built for the North American market rely on camera vision and neural net processing to deliver Autopilot, Full-Self Driving and certain active safety features.Learn more

ACCEPT AND PROCEED WITH DELIVERY

Received this message today…EOD Jan 9-Feb 9…Not sure what it means and how to reply!?!? Accept and Proceed??? I Haven’t accepted…😳😳😳

Tesla Vision​

Since May 2021, Model 3 and Model Y vehicles built for the North American market rely on camera vision and neural net processing to deliver Autopilot, Full-Self Driving and certain active safety features.Learn more

ACCEPT AND PROCEED WITH DELIVERY
I’d get in touch with Tesla tomorrow. Perhaps the text message was corrupted or it was a glitch in the systems. Kinda sounds like your in the final stages though, if you’re lucky.